Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with looking for Greek & Hebrew words

13 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby V

Bobby V

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

I downloaded the newest version of e-sword 10.1 and I have all kinds of problems with it; 1) I cannot for what ever reason look up Greek & Hebrew words; I watched the training video and yet when I try to do it...nothing happens. 2) basically the same thing I cannot look up words for example if I want to look up John it will not let me...
I sent a e-mail to their site and with much dismay they just said watch the videos and all e-swords are the same including the earlier versions. I've also deleted it once and downloaded again and still nothing, I have enjoyed using e-sword for many years and now I feel helpless and frustrated..

I hope some one here can help me out here with this problem

#2 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure what modules are installed with the main program, but it would help you to know how to add further modules.

You downloaded the main program and installed it. That main program needs extra book added to it - these extra books are called modules, and those modules (extra books) are what contain the Hebrew and Greek explanations you are looking for.

Visit these links and download the books that end with an "exe". When you have downloaded them you will notice more books (modules) in your 'library' the next time you start it.

http://www.biblesupp...h-kjv-analysis/

Remember, for the time being just download and run the ones that are named with an 'exe' at the end. These ones will install automatically. However, if you know how to use the ones that end with 'zip', then all you need to do with them is to move the file inside that zip into your esword folder... if that sounds complicated, just stick with the 'exe' modules. :)

I really hope this is helpful. :)

#3 Bobby V

Bobby V

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Big Paw

Thanks for your help; but unfortutnatly this still did not solve my problem... :mellow: I can highlight a word and click right and quick search and voila nothing...the same goes with the words that have the srongs numbers can right click and hit quick search and viola nothing also. I can tell you this where the Bible bar is, it is blue but when I try and do a quick search and or look up strongs #'s it turns like a gray or brownish color and then still nothing. Seems like something is working but what I have no idea maybe it is just wandering around in cyberspace. :)
again thanks for your help maybe you can help yet or others..If not somehow maybe I can find a earlier version of e-sword; I do not know if it matters but I have windows vista and I had a older version but when I went to update that is where everything went wrong..

#4 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

I know that subsequent to updating eSword, the newer version stopped 'seeing' older modules. For example, if your modules for the Bible are "Bible.bbl", then the newer version of eSword won't recognise them. The newer version of eSword will only recognise modules with an 'x', such as "bblx", or "dctx", etc. From what I have learned, pretty much all of the older modules are also available for the newer version of eSword.

I wonder if your problem may be where it is eSword is looking to find your modules? For the following test you will need to know where all of your modules are on your hard drive. If you know which folder they are all in, we just need to check a setting in eSword. Please run eSword and do the following:

1. Click on 'Options'
2. Click on 'Resource'

A window like this will open that should have lots of tick boxes:

Posted Image

(This is not my image, I borrowed this picture from the Internet)

Do you see where it says "Location"? That location should be the same folder as the folder your modules are in. But, if you are using the new eSword (requiring 'bblx' modules) with the old modules, ("bbl" modules) then they won't work.

If none of this helps, please say... we will work this out... :-)

#5 Bobby V

Bobby V

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

I know that subsequent to updating eSword, the newer version stopped 'seeing' older modules. For example, if your modules for the Bible are "Bible.bbl", then the newer version of eSword won't recognise them. The newer version of eSword will only recognise modules with an 'x', such as "bblx", or "dctx", etc. From what I have learned, pretty much all of the older modules are also available for the newer version of eSword.

I wonder if your problem may be where it is eSword is looking to find your modules? For the following test you will need to know where all of your modules are on your hard drive. If you know which folder they are all in, we just need to check a setting in eSword. Please run eSword and do the following:

1. Click on 'Options'
2. Click on 'Resource'

A window like this will open that should have lots of tick boxes:

Posted Image

(This is not my image, I borrowed this picture from the Internet)

Do you see where it says "Location"? That location should be the same folder as the folder your modules are in. But, if you are using the new eSword (requiring 'bblx' modules) with the old modules, ("bbl" modules) then they won't work.

If none of this helps, please say... we will work this out... :-)

mine looks like the page that you have here....but I'm sorry I'm not quite following you here :( I'm very green as far as computer tech. is concerned so be patient with me here....when I check out the properties it say's in the targert area "c:\program files \ esword.exe"....it also say's start in c:\programs files\ e-sword and as far as location on the screen you have above it say's c:\programs files\ e-sword. I hope this helps a little.

I can also say that when I was tinkering around accidently I lost my bible screen and my dic. screen down below it was all gray and when I tried to dowload the stuff I had before it said error and had bblx after it; but I finally got that resolved. But as far as the rest still the same.

#6 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

mine looks like the page that you have here....but I'm sorry I'm not quite following you here :( I'm very green as far as computer tech. is concerned so be patient with me here....when I check out the properties it say's in the targert area "c:\program files \ esword.exe"....it also say's start in c:\programs files\ e-sword and as far as location on the screen you have above it say's c:\programs files\ e-sword. I hope this helps a little.

Yes, this helps a lot, it gives us something to work with. Sometimes finding a solution to a problem first involves a process of elimination.

Firstly, where it says, "c:\program files\esword.exe" there should be a space in the name 'program files', but there should not be a space before and after the '\' (backslash symbol). So, please check that first before we go any further, as that may be your problem.

Secondly, would you know how to go to this folder?

c:\program files\esword.exe

If you know how to go to it, could you do that now please and have a look in it and tell me if you see either something like, "Bible.bbl" or "Bible.bblx"?

If none of this works, don't worry, it is only narrowing down the amount of potential problems. Like "Shelock Holmes" once said, “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

#7 Bobby V

Bobby V

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Firstly, where it says, "c:\program files\esword.exe" there should be a space in the name 'program files', but there should not be a space before and after the '\' (backslash symbol). So, please check that first before we go any further, as that may be your problem.

as far as how it is written it is written w/o any spaces or better said just like how you have up above.

"Bible.bbl" or "Bible.bblx"?

As far as the second part I did go to the file and to the best of my abilities I did not see any of the things you mentioned as above so we shall march onward then...

#8 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

I can also say that when I was tinkering around accidently I lost my bible screen and my dic. screen down below it was all gray and when I tried to dowload the stuff I had before it said error and had bblx after it; but I finally got that resolved. But as far as the rest still the same.

This comment you made earlier, what happened and how was it resolved, please?

#9 Bobby V

Bobby V

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

This comment you made earlier, what happened and how was it resolved, please?

in the box where it say's location i had it to whee it said e-sword; but I figured that maybe somehow if I change it I would miracoulsy have e-sword fix, but no instead the parts that I mentioned went grey when I changed the location and I forgot where I had put e-sword so I figured I would down load the books again alon with commentaries and that is when the message came up..but then I figured out where I had put e-sword and everything came back to normal except for looking up words in english, hebrew and greek..still the same. :(

#10 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

Perhaps it may be easier to uninstall esword and then reinstall it? If you know where your resources are, then you can copy them into a temporary safe folder for now and then when you have reinstalled esword you can copy those resources to the location where you installed the reinstalled esword. You will know where the new installation is because you will see where it goes as you go through the new installation options.

Does this sound helpful? It won't be a long process, and it should go well if you are careful about copying your resources to and from the right locations.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users