Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Saving Bible notes on e-sword.

13 replies to this topic

#1 pete

pete

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

I'm always afraid that if my computer goes down all of my notes will be lost.  Is there any way to save my notes to a DVD?

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Go to My Documents/ E Sword folder and copy and paste those files somewhere to back them up.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm always afraid that if my computer goes down all of my notes will be lost. Is there any way to save my notes to a DVD?

Hi Pete,
All User created Study Note, Topic Note, Journal Note Files are (by default) saved to My Documents\e-Sword. All other Modules and Resources are (by default) installed in Program Files\e-Sword. These files can should be backed up or copied to a removable drive such as a Pen Drive (Memory Stick or whatever name you wish to give it), or a CD/DVD/Blueray Disk, or if your Computer has one, a Backup Tape Drive.

I usually back up my resources/modules on a USB Memory Stick, which holds about 8GB of data. And the way I usually do it is by simply dragging and dropping the files from the Hardrive onto the Pen Drive. I have, what I call, a double layered backup method (system), in where all resources saved in my e-Sword Program folder, are copied over to My Documents\e-Sword folder, and about every couple of months I copy that folder over to my Pen drive. I tend to think this is the bast way to do it.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 24 June 2012 - 05:54 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 Scalia

Scalia

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hello! I recently updated my OS to Windows 10 (from Windows 7). Under W7, my Study Notes would be automatically saved when I closed e-Sword. In other words, when I reopened the application, those notes would deploy. With the OS update, my notes disappear. Is there a setting to retain my notes when I close e-Sword?

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hello! I recently updated my OS to Windows 10 (from Windows 7). Under W7, my Study Notes would be automatically saved when I closed e-Sword. In other words, when I reopened the application, those notes would deploy. With the OS update, my notes disappear. Is there a setting to retain my notes when I close e-Sword?

Hi Scalia,

I seriously do not understand why you didn't backup your resource files before upgrading to Windows 10. You know, one of the things some of us on this board have continuously emphasized,and harped on, ranted on, and etc., is to regularly backup your work on some form of removable media, like a pendrive or something.

To be honest, I don't know if during the upgrading process your resource files were deleted or not, and if they were, then you really could be in a bit of real strife. Hopefully not.

I hope this step might help. Click on your "Search Windows" icon on the Task Bar, and then type in *.notx, and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard. If your Study notes are still on your Hardrive, then the search results will show where they are located. If the search comes up with nothing, then you will know that your files have been deleted. If not deleted, then run e-Sword, and in your Study Note Editor, Press Crtl and right click, and in the Context Menu click Open... and then in the File Open Dialog, go the the location of where your .notx files are that you found in your search, then from there open the file into your Study Note Editor.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Blessings,

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 Scalia

Scalia

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

I don't believe you understand my question. Let's say I open e-Sword and bring several Scriptures over into the Study Notes pane. Let's say that I have an appointment, so I close e-Sword and shut down my computer. When I had Windows 7 (and Vista), I could restart my computer, reopen e-Sword, and the Scriptures that I brought over would still be there. Now, with Windows 10, they are deleted when I reopen e-Sword.

Is there a way to retain what you've brought over like all previous versions?

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

I think the data in your study notes are still there. To test if they are, open your Study Note file in either SQLite Manager or Browser, or in T4, and from there you should see if whatever data you put in, is still there.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

I don't believe you understand my question. Let's say I open e-Sword and bring several Scriptures over into the Study Notes pane. Let's say that I have an appointment, so I close e-Sword and shut down my computer. When I had Windows 7 (and Vista), I could restart my computer, reopen e-Sword, and the Scriptures that I brought over would still be there. Now, with Windows 10, they are deleted when I reopen e-Sword.

Is there a way to retain what you've brought over like all previous versions?

I have a thought

check to see if "random startup verse" selected in the "options menu" (when upgrading some setting may get changed)

If that is checked and you have the chain link set to on, in the note editor. (its the chain link icon in the study notes editor) 

then what will happen is every time you start e-Sword, it will change references in the note editor and seem like the notes are gone

If that is the case, and you have "random startup verse" selected then un-select it.

then when you restart e-Sword it will be on the verse you left it at

DSaw

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#9 Scalia

Scalia

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

I don't know what SQLite Manager, Browser or T4 mean. I just open e-Sword and go to work.

DSaw, thanks for the recommendation, but Randum Startup Verse is unchecked. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out. What I'm doing now is simply copying my notes when my study is complete and pasting them in Word for printing and saving.

#10 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

Scalia,

A couple thoughts for you.

1) Have you tried to manually save the study notes (Selecting the save/disk icon on the last row of the tool bar for the editor)? And if so, did that save them?

2) Have you looked to see where e-Sword would be trying to save the notes? To do so choose Options->Resource... from the menu and check to see where the Users Files Location path is set to (Bottom of the dialog box that opened up when you chose the above menu option).

Does your current windows user have write permissions to that subdirectory?

Just a little something to check...

Roy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users