Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Reference Books (topx) - Boardman, Henry A. - The Great Question: Will You Consider the Subject of Personal Religion?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 superaben

superaben

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationShenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

File Name: Boardman, Henry A. - The Great Question: Will You Consider the Subject of Personal Religion?

File Submitter: superaben

File Submitted: 28 May 2012

File Category: Reference Books (topx)

Author: Henry Augustus Boardman
e-Sword Version: 9.x - 10.x

During the War Between the States, especially in 1864, both the Union and Confederate armies experienced revivals. Although many of the tracts published for the soldiers were written specifically for the war, many religious books written in previous decades found their way into the camps. One such book was Henry A. Boardman’s The Great Question: Will you Consider the Subject of Personal Religion?

Henry Augustus Boardman was the pastor of Tenth Presbyterian in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Through his years of ministry, Boardman was the author of 28 books not to mention numerous unpublished manuscripts.

The Great Question was published in 1855. It clearly confronts common reasons for putting off conforming a life to Christ Jesus. It is not only suitable for those needing Christ, it also convicts those who are delaying completely serving Him.

From the Author’s Preface:

It is an every-day occurrence, to meet with persons who “feel no interest” in the subject of religion, and who, on this ground, excuse themselves from giving their attention to it. I have in very many instances wanted some suitable book to place in the hands of persons of this description.

Within a certain broad and comprehensive sphere, Baxter’s Call, Alliene’s Alarm, Doddridge’s Rise and Progress, or Halyburton’s Great Concern of Salvation, might answer the purpose. But, with a great number of individuals, not one of these admirable works could be used with any hope of its being read.

Had I known where to find a book to meet the case, the present volume would not have been written. It has grown out of a conscious and urgent want.

That it will fully supply this acknowledged and serious deficiency in our practical religious literature, I do not allow myself to believe. But I hope it may prove an acceptable offering to some who are either neglecting their own duty, or who have friends to whom they would like to propose the question— "WILL YOU CONSIDER THE SUBJECT OF PERSONAL RELIGION?"

With these views, the work is sent to the press, and humbly commended to HIS blessing, who alone can make it an instrument of good.

H.A.B.”

Click here to download this file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users