Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Free material that could be converted

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have gotten a newsletter from a group about free resources and they regularly have stuff that could probably be converted really easy. Check it out at : www.freechristianresources.org
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#2 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

http://www.freebiblecommentary.org/ might be another possible.

#3 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

That is one that has been waiting for at least 4 years
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

Dr. Utley owns the copyright to his books. I proposed making them in e-Sword format and he said there was a previous effort to convert his work to e-Sword format. Apparently, someone worked with him before and the results were disastrous to his formatting. I definitely understand his point--no one wants their text slaughtered. If done properly, it will look great. But in the wrong hands, his outline formatting will look horrific.

I created a demonstration passage to see if he would approve the e-Sword module formatting of his work, and I'll let you guys know what he says. I think I would remove the paragraph indents from the text in any final version that's done.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

A pdf reader would simplify a lot of things :-), even a stand alone pdf reader that could read and list titles in a directory.

#6 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

A pdf reader would simplify a lot of things :-), even a stand alone pdf reader that could read and list titles in a directory.

If you're looking to turn a folder of pdf files into an electronic library, here's what I would recommend.
Adobe Digital Editions., it's free, only 5mb in size, from Adobe. It can read and search your pdf library.

http://www.adobe.com...igitaleditions/

#7 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Have it installed, will do a few experiments. Thanks. Found couple others as well. Foxit reader kind of works and I think Kindle will but haven't tried it yet.

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Dr. Utley owns the copyright to his books. I proposed making them in e-Sword format and he said there was a previous effort to convert his work to e-Sword format. Apparently, someone worked with him before and the results were disastrous to his formatting. I definitely understand his point--no one wants their text slaughtered. If done properly, it will look great. But in the wrong hands, his outline formatting will look horrific.

I created a demonstration passage to see if he would approve the e-Sword module formatting of his work, and I'll let you guys know what he says. I think I would remove the paragraph indents from the text in any final version that's done.

Dr. Utley was impressed with the sample and has given me permission to make this material into e-Sword format. Portions of his work are sold commercially, so this will be very nice for e-Sword and it's certainly very nice of Dr. Utley.

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Dr. Utley was impressed with the sample and has given me permission to make this material into e-Sword format. Portions of his work are sold commercially, so this will be very nice for e-Sword and it's certainly very nice of Dr. Utley.

Josh,
That is great mate. And from what I've see in your screenshots, I reckon you've done a fantastic job with the demo. I wonder where you get your patience from. I know its not from me :D .

So, I'm looking forward to the actual finished module.

As for your critics :angry:, they haven't got a clue, have they mate?! Such heresy of using a pdf reader. I dunno! No faith whatsoever!!!. :P ;) :lol:

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

This project is "on hold" indefinitely. I was able to get the WordPerfect source files from the publisher. But converting from WordPerfect to RTF format is not an exact science. The WordPerfect to RTF conversion is horrible. The MS Word import of WordPerfect is better but lacking. WordPerfect makes it so difficult to leave their format, companies specialize in freeing law and medical offices (and others who must preserve exact formatting) from the clutches of WordPerfect format. WP makes it difficult to leave if you have complex formatting because the formatting does not convert. (And people wonder what happened to Wordperfect...rolls eyes).

This resource will have to be re-typeset in a true RTF environment such as Microsoft Word. Every line of every outline must have its tab stops verified, to ensure that if the text laps over to the next line, it will be properly indented. I just can't complete that type of workload. I would estimate 20 hours for the book of Matthew alone. I also can't afford one of the professional conversion firms who could extricate the data from WP format. Without attention to the outlines, the text will not look like the publisher desires (nice, clean, neat outline format). Thus, this project is dead for now. I may figure out a way to preserve the outline formatting without hours of work down the road (it;s possible--I routinely stumble into solutions when I'm not looking for them!). But I'm out of ideas for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users