Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a way to convert BBLX (or BBL) to XLSX (or XLS)? For Anki, free memory software! - Solved! + New solution (see (reply) #15)!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 DutchChristian

DutchChristian

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHorst (LB), Netherlands

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:37 AM

Hi There,

I want to convert BBLX or BBL modules to XLSX or XLS!

But I cannot find anything on the web.

Because I want to import them in Anki, so I can remember the bible. At least I am trying to.

https://apps.ankiweb.net

Thanks in advance, may God bless you.

DutchChristian

Edited by DutchChristian, 09 December 2022 - 08:33 AM.

Thanks in advance,

Kindly Greetings & Gods rich blessings (for you and your loved ones),

DutchChristian

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:01 AM

Why don't you use the Scripture memory in e-Sword tools menu?

#3 DutchChristian

DutchChristian

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:37 AM

Hi There, 

Why don't you use the Scripture memory in e-Sword tools menu?

Beacause Anki is specialized in learning with certain tools within it's program. (that makes learning easier)

And It's also free!

Do you know how to convertert those files? Thanks in advance!

I have tried Scripture Memmory, but it is not my kind of learning tool for memory.

Edited by DutchChristian, 24 May 2021 - 06:38 AM.

Thanks in advance,

DutchChristian

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:06 PM

Hi There, 

Beacause Anki is specialized in learning with certain tools within it's program. (that makes learning easier)

And It's also free!

Do you know how to convertert those files? Thanks in advance!

I have tried Scripture Memmory, but it is not my kind of learning tool for memory.

There is a very easy way to accomplish converting e-Sword bbl and bblx files to either xls or xlsx file format.

Before getting into the  process of converting the files I will present a some information regarding the four file types involved in this process.

The two e-Sword file types, bbl and bblx are for use with the Windows versions of e-Sword. The bblx file format is for use with e-Sword version 9 and higher for Windows while bbl is for use with e-Sword versions prior to version 9. 

Both xls and xlsx are Microsoft Excel spread sheet file formats, xls is the Excel standard worksheet file format while xlsx is Excel's XML worksheet file format. 

In order to convert e-Sword bbl and bblx files to any other file format you need to know that files for use with e-Sword for Windows are SQLite databases. SQLite databases are what are known as relational databases. 

To convert e-Sword bbl and bblx files you will need to first convert them to SQL files to do this you will first need to download a program available here on Biblesupport called SQLite Database Browser 

Converting the files will be a two part process

Here is the link:

http://www.biblesupp...tabase-browser/

The program downloads in a zip file so you will need extract the program's folder from the zip file in order to use it. The program file will be labeled  sqlitebrowser_200_b1_win. 

Once you have extracted the folder open it and you will see a second folder labeled again  sqlitebrowser_200_b1_win open the second folder to access the program. 

Double click the program file which is labeled SQLite Database Browser 2.0b1 to open the program.
Once you have the SQLite Database Browser running do the following steps:

Click File to open the programs file menu
From the file menu click Open Database this will open a window labeled Open
Use the Open window to navigate to where you have the bbl or bblx modules on your computer
Once you have found the file you want to convert simply click the file name once and then click the O pen button in the Open window. 
This will open the e-Sword file in the database browser. 

Once the module is open in the e-Sword browser click file again to open the file menu
From the File menu click Export, this will open a small sub menu with two options listed one of which is labeled Database to SQL file,

Click the "Database to SQL file" option and "Save As" window will open. 
There will be box where you can name SQL file your are saving, give the file a name including the file extension ,sql and click save to save the file. Do not save the file in the same folder as the e-Sword bbl or bblx file

You have now completed part 1 of the process by converting the e-Sword file to an SQL file.

Part 2 of the conversion process is very easy and simple

Go to following website:

https://www.rebaseda...-to-xlsx-online

This is an online converter that you can use to convert the the sql file to an xls or xlsx file 

#5 DutchChristian

DutchChristian

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:18 AM

Hi Tj Higgins

Thanks, for this.

And thanks for the instructions within the message.

There is a very easy way to accomplish converting e-Sword bbl and bblx files to either xls or xlsx file format.

Before getting into the  process of converting the files I will present a some information regarding the four file types involved in this process.

The two e-Sword file types, bbl and bblx are for use with the Windows versions of e-Sword. The bblx file format is for use with e-Sword version 9 and higher for Windows while bbl is for use with e-Sword versions prior to version 9. 

Both xls and xlsx are Microsoft Excel spread sheet file formats, xls is the Excel standard worksheet file format while xlsx is Excel's XML worksheet file format. 

In order to convert e-Sword bbl and bblx files to any other file format you need to know that files for use with e-Sword for Windows are SQLite databases. SQLite databases are what are known as relational databases. 

To convert e-Sword bbl and bblx files you will need to first convert them to SQL files to do this you will first need to download a program available here on Biblesupport called SQLite Database Browser 

Converting the files will be a two part process

Here is the link:

http://www.biblesupp...tabase-browser/

The program downloads in a zip file so you will need extract the program's folder from the zip file in order to use it. The program file will be labeled  sqlitebrowser_200_b1_win. 

Once you have extracted the folder open it and you will see a second folder labeled again  sqlitebrowser_200_b1_win open the second folder to access the program. 

Double click the program file which is labeled SQLite Database Browser 2.0b1 to open the program.
Once you have the SQLite Database Browser running do the following steps:

Click File to open the programs file menu
From the file menu click Open Database this will open a window labeled Open
Use the Open window to navigate to where you have the bbl or bblx modules on your computer
Once you have found the file you want to convert simply click the file name once and then click the O pen button in the Open window. 
This will open the e-Sword file in the database browser. 

Once the module is open in the e-Sword browser click file again to open the file menu
From the File menu click Export, this will open a small sub menu with two options listed one of which is labeled Database to SQL file,

Click the "Database to SQL file" option and "Save As" window will open. 
There will be box where you can name SQL file your are saving, give the file a name including the file extension ,sql and click save to save the file. Do not save the file in the same folder as the e-Sword bbl or bblx file

You have now completed part 1 of the process by converting the e-Sword file to an SQL file.

Part 2 of the conversion process is very easy and simple

Go to following website:

https://www.rebaseda...-to-xlsx-online

This is an online converter that you can use to convert the the sql file to an xls or xlsx file 

Also JPG thanks for the E-sword, plugin I already did know about it, but thanks anyway.

Greetings,

DutchChristian

Thanks in advance,

DutchChristian

#6 DutchChristian

DutchChristian

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:05 AM

Hi There,

The converter website is broken, I can't access it!

Do you have an alternative to convert to xlsx?

Thanks in advance,

Greetings and Gods blessings,

DutchChristian

Edited by DutchChristian, 30 May 2021 - 06:44 AM.

Thanks in advance,

DutchChristian

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Hi There,

The converter website is broken, I can't access it!

Do you have an alternative to convert to xlsx?

Thanks in advance,

Greetings and Gods blessings,

DutchChristian

Try this site as an alternative:

https://mygeodata.cl.../sqlite-to-xlsx

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:44 PM

Hi Tj,

You said:

With respect to the bbl files, you actually need Microsoft Access to open them. These files are not compatible to SQLite format irrespective of the fact that they are both Relational Database engines. Its just that they simply do things differently that makes them incompatible to each other.

The other thing is that bblx files are already SQL files, and are already compatible to SQLite Browser/Manager, due to the fact they have been created in or exported to SQLite.

That said, with regard to bbl files, due to the fact they have been created in MS Access, they should be able to be imported into MS Excel, and saved as an xls and/or a xml format without any difficulties.

Oh yeah, by the way, when it comes to the bbl files, the beaut part is no one actually needs MS Access or Excel. Just use LibreOffice Calc to import the bbl files and then from there save them as xls or xml files. And LibreOffice is free, and no one can beat free.

'Nother thing is I use LibreOffice, and its pretty good as it does what it has to do. Moreover there's heaps more stuff that comes with it than what one gets with MS Office.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 30 May 2021 - 06:05 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hi Tj,

You said:

With respect to the bbl files, you actually need Microsoft Access to open them. These files are not compatible to SQLite format irrespective of the fact that they are both Relational Database engines. Its just that they simply do things differently that makes them incompatible to each other.

The other thing is that bblx files are already SQL files, and are already compatible to SQLite Browser/Manager, due to the fact they have been created in or exported to SQLite.

That said, with regard to bbl files, due to the fact they have been created in MS Access, they should be able to be imported into MS Excel, and saved as an xls and/or a xml format without any difficulties.

Oh yeah, by the way, when it comes to the bbl files, the beaut part is no one actually needs MS Access or Excel. Just use LibreOffice Calc to import the bbl files and then from there save them as xls or xml files. And LibreOffice is free, and no one can beat free.

'Nother thing is I use LibreOffice, and its pretty good as it does what it has to do. Moreover there's heaps more stuff that comes with it than what one gets with MS Office.

Blessings,

I know the bblx modules are sqlite databases, but the file converter requires the files to have the file extension of .sql.

The converter does not read bblx files so by convert the bblx modules to sql files using the online converter, they can be opened in any spreadsheet program and then saved as xlx or xlsx files

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 May 2021 - 06:35 PM

I know the bblx modules are sqlite databases, but the file converter requires the files to have the file extension of .sql.

The converter does not read bblx files so by convert the bblx modules to sql files using the online converter, they can be opened in any spreadsheet program and then saved as xlx or xlsx files

Tj,

Beaut thing is that you don't need to do any conversion as such per se.

1. Open the bblx file in SQLite Browser/Manager

2. Export the bblx file as a csv file

3. Open or import the csv file in your favorite Spreadsheet program.

4. Finally save it as an xls, xlsx, or xlsm formats.

And from there you are done and dusted. Easy peazee. No worries at all!

Now the thing is this, you should be able to something similar to bbl files using OpenOffice Base or LibreOffice Base due to the fact that they are a take off of MS Access. You know, as in clones.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

post-94-0-52125500-1325722973.png

Edited by APsit190, 30 May 2021 - 06:46 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users