Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

e-Sword Performance

27 replies to this topic

#11 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

See, in many respects I'm just lazy about switching modules around and streamlining them to those that I regularly use. Not only that, e-Sword looks kind of naked without all the modules I have on it. :lol: Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Blessings,

I smiled when I ready our reply, I am the same way. I love the resources. the only ones I turn off are the greek translations that I never use. I picked them becaue I had a friend that used them and his enthusiasm was so contagious I couldn't resist. But alas, in the comfort of my home with no one around I am lost with the greek so now they just take up space.. ;(

Kind regards,

Michael

#12 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi, Mj,

Others here at the forum will be much more technically adept than I am. The exact answer will depend on operating system, amount of RAM, amount of hard drive available, and main chip processor speed.

I can tell you this: lots of dictionaries in eSword needs lots of RAM.

Let me tell you a little about my system, simply for sake of comparison. I have Win7 (32 bit); 2.1Gz duo core processor; 3 Mb of RAM; and 250 Gb harddrive (25% full - I don't store pics/music on this harddrive!). My eSword setup has 46 dictionaries (300 Mb of .dctx material). That said: eSword runs fast enough - not blazing fast, but sufficent. At this time, I am satisfied enough with my eSword performance that I'm not yet ready for another 1 Gb of RAM. But when that time comes, I can purchase 4 Gb for less than $50. That's a pretty cheap fix for what will be much better performance.

Throwing RAM at the computer is probably the simplest/cheapest solution - short of removing eSword resources. And no one wants to do that!

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#13 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

I have 3 gig duo core running 64 bit windows 7 and 4 gig ram. E-sword is very slow to load but once up it is quite nice cept for changing dictionaries. I also do not like switching resources (2000 or so) so operate as is :-)

I find the above operation about the same with my netbook a 1.6 duo core/2 gig memory. It lags now and then when I go to scroll in a commentary and dictionary switch time is longer but I am fairly amazed how well it does.

Now if anyone important is reading don't take this as a pass on speeding things up! We would love that though not overly necessary, just would satisfy our need for speed. I drive a Hyundai so my need for speed doesn't get fed too often :-)

This morning I was looking for a book and opened a some other Bible programs to search and noticed that all are rather slow - must be kind of the nature of things when you have lots of resources.

#14 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I find the above operation about the same with my netbook a 1.6 duo core/2 gig memory. It lags now and then when I go to scroll in a commentary and dictionary switch time is longer but I am fairly amazed how well it does.

Now if anyone important is reading don't take this as a pass on speeding things up! We would love that though not overly necessary, just would satisfy our need for speed. I drive a Hyundai so my need for speed doesn't get fed too often :-)

This morning I was looking for a book and opened a some other Bible programs to search and noticed that all are rather slow - must be kind of the nature of things when you have lots of resources.

I have a similar netbook as you describe in your email, above. It is pretty amazing that things go as quickly as they do in such a small package. It is typical for us, as men first of all and bible folk for another, to want more speed and resources with bible study tools.
As has been stated.. no one wants to give up resources. But we'll take all the speed we can get..

#15 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Or another question, with 60% used and 40% available is (esword) it limiiting itself in some way?

As best as i can determine, e-Sword grabs memory when it starts, and keeps it until e-Sword is closed.

In my experience, map resources are the most demanding, ram-wise.

Jonathon

#16 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have a 3 year old PC, 6 gigs of ram and Intel Core i7 cpu. The cpu is probably outdated by today's standards, but the ram is nice. More ram = better.

#17 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

As has been stated.. no one wants to give up resources.

At BibleTech 2009, Craig (from Laridian) said that people would not carry their theological library in their mobile device. The Olive Tree people were not quite convinced of that claim.

Bob (from Logos) is banking on people wanting their theological library and their general ebook library with their mobile device.

Probably time to do another survey of how many resources users have installed for each biblical software program they have installed, on each of their devices.

Jonathon

#18 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

As best as i can determine, e-Sword grabs memory when it starts, and keeps it until e-Sword is closed.

In my experience, map resources are the most demanding, ram-wise.

Jonathon

The map resources demand more ram... I found out that when I make a map module using MeD the file is bigger (75 meg) when I re-made the same map module using T4 it was 3 megs. so with that test I will re-make more of the map modules using T4 to see if it is true.
I am slowly re-working some of my modules to be better in the way it looks, Tool Tipping, and size. much like what Cato did.

When you convert v7 over to v9 it decreases in size - I was wondering if you take the same converted module, open it up in T4 and remake the module - will it decrease more in size? This is just a thought.

thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#19 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

At BibleTech 2009, Craig (from Laridian) said that people would not carry their theological library in their mobile device. The Olive Tree people were not quite convinced of that claim.

Bob (from Logos) is banking on people wanting their theological library and their general ebook library with their mobile device.

Probably time to do another survey of how many resources users have installed for each biblical software program they have installed, on each of their devices.

Jonathon

Bob should do a survey on the usability of Logos mobile. It's terrible, I tell ya. I installed Olive Tree on my wife's iPad and she asked, why can't Logos be this easy? I said, good question, with a company awash in so much money, has no one employed human factors experts on interface design. The PC based software is also needlessly difficult, not hard to learn to use--just harder than I think it should be. Again, I see that as a lack of interface expertise. If you want to see a model for how I think a mobile platform should be layed out, see Olive Tree. I found later a friend also ditched Logos mobile for Olive Tree for the same interface reasons.

WordSearchBible also lets you carry your whole theological library with you. I haven't tried theirs though. Olive Tree seems perfect for iPad activities.

#20 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

For those of us who use free Bible software, MySword is currently the only option for us to carry a large percentage of our theological library with us.

Unfortunately, without some know how, it is not possible to carry the "premium" resources with you unless you buy them in olive tree or use Logos or Word Search.

MySword is the only one I know of to provide a conversion tool. This fact, along with them having the best interface by far, led me to switch to MySword almost immediately after discovering it.

I am one who likes to have a large theological library with me at all times.

Since this is a free Bible software forum, the ideal for many of us would be a mobile software that would work with legally purchased e sword or theWord resources. This does not seem likely to happen unfortunately.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users