Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Missing Topic.topx directory in 10.0.5

16 replies to this topic

#1 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

Upgraded from 9x to the current eSword release (10.0.5?) three days ago, downloaded numerous new 10x modules without incident. Tonight, I am unable to locate the Topic file. I had created numerous memos, notes, interspersed with downloaded reference modules. All downloaded reference modules are still alphabetically arranged in the Topic Editor as well as the newly placed reference library in the tool bar, but all my own topic.topx entries are still missing. Followed every relevant posted remedy, to no avail. I'm pushing a speaking deadline. Any help? Thanks!

#2 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

but all my own topic.topx entries are still missing.

Are you entries in a file called topic.topx?

Never use the default file name for anything. There are too many things that can go wrong, and result in the loss of the material.

Did you make a backup copy of topic.topx, before you upgraded?

If your content was in topic.topx, and you did not make a backup, you lost that content when you did the upgrade.

jonathon

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

Upgraded from 9x to the current eSword release (10.0.5?) three days ago, downloaded numerous new 10x modules without incident. Tonight, I am unable to locate the Topic file. I had created numerous memos, notes, interspersed with downloaded reference modules. All downloaded reference modules are still alphabetically arranged in the Topic Editor as well as the newly placed reference library in the tool bar, but all my own topic.topx entries are still missing. Followed every relevant posted remedy, to no avail. I'm pushing a speaking deadline. Any help? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BibleSupport.

Try Right clicking in the editor and choosing Open. Look for your personal topics notes in your program files\e-sword folder. And also try in your my documents\e-sword folder. I suspect you named the file something other than topic.topx and I would try opening any topics file that's not clearly something you downloaded.

#4 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, Jonathan and Josh, for responses.

@ Jonathan, I have apparently learned the hard way that the default Topic.topx file is not bullet proof; and no, in my enthusiasm, I'm afraid I didn't back-up.

@ Josh, I attempted your remedy re: earlier forum posts on point, to no avail. Might a system restore to an earlier restore point be a possibility?

Grasping - and gasping, I'm afraid - at straws.

Dan

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks, Jonathan and Josh, for responses.

@ Jonathan, I have apparently learned the hard way that the default Topic.topx file is not bullet proof; and no, in my enthusiasm, I'm afraid I didn't back-up.

@ Josh, I attempted your remedy re: earlier forum posts on point, to no avail. Might a system restore to an earlier restore point be a possibility?

Grasping - and gasping, I'm afraid - at straws.

Dan

Sure, try a system restore.

#6 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, all. Still open for suggestion, leaving for Asia in 2 weeks on a short term ministry trip, gotta' find a servicable remedy, reconstruct what I can if that's my only option.

Dan

#7 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Dan - do a google search on "undelete" - you'll find some free and some payware that might be a help.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#8 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, all. Here's the solution, with some chagrin. What I thought was an empty, 10x topic folder in my program files\eSword directory - with the 9x topix.topx long gone was actually the topic module waiting to be executed/set-up/installed, etc. I must simply have missed the prompt during my frenzied download marathon! Hahaha! Double click, yes to all the above, bingo. "The Grace Life," "Promises to the Over-comer," et al., all my prepared material for 21 days of ministry in the Philippines, just as I remembered. Thank you, Lord.

Blessings, Josh, jonathan, Doctor Dave T,

Dan

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Good to hear. I thought you were missing topic.topx?

#10 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Prayer works.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users