Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bibles, Commentaries etc not displaying in e-Sword 10.0.5

15 replies to this topic

#1 pauloz

pauloz

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Greetings

I've just signed in as a new member after updating from the previous version of e-Sword to 10.0.5. I've been using e-Sword for years - absolutely love it but for the first time ever, I have a problem! I have a desktop that dual boots with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I mostly use Ubuntu 10.04 (not keen on Windows) therefore I use a program called Crossover that enables me to download Windows software such as e-Sword.

I've never had problems with previous versions of e-Sword (versions 9.x.x) using Crossover, but this time after updating to 10.0.5, the Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries etc are not displaying on the screen, even though the tabs for the various Bible translations are present. I went into Options>Resources to see if all appropriate boxes were checked and they were, but still the screen remains blank. My Journal, Study and Topic notes are working fine.

Could this be a problem associated with a Linux based O/S such as Ubuntu? I also have a netbook with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS solely on it. I'm reluctant to update to e-Sword 10.0.5 unless a solution presents itself.

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

pauloz

#2 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

after updating to 10.0.5, the Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries etc are not displaying on the screen, even though the tabs for the various Bible translations are present.

Uninstall CrossOver, and blow away the WINE Bottle that e-Sword is installed in.

Install WINE, and then e-Sword, using the script in the first message of the thread at ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=404042

Could this be a problem associated with a Linux based O/S such as Ubuntu?

It is not uncommon for emulation software to have things that don't happen on Windows.
Sometimes the things are improvements, other times they make thingsworse.

jonathon

#3 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

You could try uninstalling as jonathan suggested, but I would try going into settings in e-sword and changing the default fonts for your bibles, etc... to something else. If that does not work try this:

Install winetricks by opening a terminal window and type these two commands:

wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
chmod +x winetricks
Then type this in terminal to install core fonts for Windows under WINE which is what is the basis of crossovers:

sh winetricks corefonts

#4 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Or...you could just come back over to the dark side and use Windows.

#5 pauloz

pauloz

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the replies - @Cobb78...no thanks! Before I received the replies, I decided to remove the existing e-Sword bottle and reinstall in CrossOver. I don't want to uninstall CrossOver because I use it for other Windows software e.g. Excel and Word, which work fine. After reinstalling, my problem was resolved but with one slightly irritating side-effect - when I search for a scripture e.g. John 3:16, the active verse is not highlighted. What happens is e-Sword randomly goes to John 3 but I may have to scroll to bring the verse into picture. The problem is compounded when I search in a long chapter. I guess what jonathon said about emulation software is taking place here otherwise this bug is hopefully rectified in the next version. Any suggestions welcome.

#6 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Luke, give yourself to the Dark Side (windows). It is the only way.
Posted Image

#7 dshimer

dshimer

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

The original post seems to be solved, but let me share something I have experienced on three Ubuntu 11.10 boxes running E-Sword 10.05 on a stock install of Wine. I use the previously listed install script found in the Ubuntu forums which works fantastic. However upon first use of the program I find all the text windows completely blank. This is solved by running
env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_Esword winecfg
Then once in I go to the Libraries tab and set
oleaut32 (builtin)
riched20 (builtin)
Note that my installs each of them defaults to (native, builtin)

#8 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMountain Lake Park, Maryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Pauloz, similar to you running Ubuntu 10 I am running Linux Mint 10 (but solo on a laptop, not in a dual-boot). Today I went from e-Sword 9.9.1 to 10.0.7 and I had the exact same symptoms you described, also using Crossover and not Wine. I'll try what you did, removing the bottle and re-installing, and then report back here.

#9 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

The original post seems to be solved, but let me share something I have experienced on three Ubuntu 11.10 boxes running E-Sword 10.05 on a stock install of Wine. I use the previously listed install script found in the Ubuntu forums which works fantastic. However upon first use of the program I find all the text windows completely blank. This is solved by running

env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_Esword winecfg
Then once in I go to the Libraries tab and set
oleaut32 (builtin)
riched20 (builtin)

Note that my installs each of them defaults to (native, builtin)

You also must have the files bolded above on your system. If it's like it was in the past, you might have to search the Internet and download them because the files were NOT present on the Linux system. If I remember correctly, these two files must go in the main e-Sword directory.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#10 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMountain Lake Park, Maryland, USA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Pauloz, indeed, removing the CrossOver bottle and simply re-installing e-Sword took care of the problem. The biggest hassle was that I had to download anew the Bibles, Dictionaries and Commentaries, but at least e-Sword makes that simple. Now to get my resources from biblesupport.com back in place!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users