Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

James Smith - Complete Works

COMPLETE

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

I've started on the James Smith library and anticipate several hundred files. He is one of my favorite authors of the 1800s. James Smith (1802—1862) was a predecessor of Charles Spurgeon at New Park Street Chapel in London from 1841 until 1850. Early on, Smith's readings were even more popular than Spurgeon's!

I have 5 smaller works completed right now and anticipate that I'll be posting a few at a time as the work progresses.

Edited by journey, 09 January 2012 - 05:07 PM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

I've started on the James Smith library and anticipate several hundred files. He is one of my favorite authors of the 1800s. James Smith (1802—1862) was a predecessor of Charles Spurgeon at New Park Street Chapel in London from 1841 until 1850. Early on, Smith's readings were even more popular than Spurgeon's!

I have 5 smaller works completed right now and anticipate that I'll be posting a few at a time as the work progresses.

Was he a Calvinist? (or asked another way: is Calvinism reflected in his writings?)

#3 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Was he a Calvinist? (or asked another way: is Calvinism reflected in his writings?)

Calvinism is only somewhat reflected in his writings. It appears that he leans more to foreknowledge. The vast majority of his writing doesn't address it at all and would be viewed as fundamental and Biblical. I really don't know if James Smith was a Calvinist or not, but I do know that C.H. Spurgeon was. I'll try to find out more before I upload any files.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

Calvinism is only somewhat reflected in his writings. It appears that he leans more to foreknowledge. The vast majority of his writing doesn't address it at all and would be viewed as fundamental and Biblical. I really don't know if James Smith was a Calvinist or not, but I do know that C.H. Spurgeon was. I'll try to find out more before I upload any files.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to suggest you can't upload Calvinist material or material written by a Calvinist author. :) Plus, a lot of people who don't like Calvinism still find value in Spurgeon's material that doesn't deal with that area of theology.

#5 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to suggest you can't upload Calvinist material or material written by a Calvinist author. :) Plus, a lot of people who don't like Calvinism still find value in Spurgeon's material that doesn't deal with that area of theology.

I understand completely. For the record, I'm not a Calvinist, but I do enjoy many writings from C.H. Spurgeon and James Smith.

#6 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

Progress thus far is considerably slower than what I anticipated, but it appears that I will complete 15 to 20 modules per week.

Completed and uploaded thus far: 18 books in topic format, and 1 compilation of 20 sermons in topic format.

I plan to do several more compilations of sermons next.

#7 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

This work is complete as of 1-8-2012.

#8 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Good job, bud! Thank you!
Posted Image

#9 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Journey,

Thanks for your efforts (and to Josh for Handfuls on Purpose).

I plan to also convert these to MySword for even more to use them, but I am having some problems with verse reference links at the moment. This should get resolved soon.

Blessings,
Peter

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

This work is complete as of 1-8-2012.

Good job, journey!