Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Preparing to attempt to create a bible modual

5 replies to this topic

#1 DKHagans

DKHagans

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:55 PM

Hey Guys.

I got a 1982 NKJV took the book cover off, got a cutting board and trimmed the glue off.

but in doing the cutting as best I could, many of the pages when I scanned them are off center, I am using Adobe Photoshop 6, to go in and straighten the using arbitrary cw/ccw

I got to Deuteronomy before I realized photoshop had a built-in ruler and grid, I just refinished Genesis, and they are as straight as I can now get them.

Some that I eyeballed without the ruler and grid are ok but many still needed readjusting.

Is there an easier way to do this? I am kind of a perfectionist, this is going to look right if it kills me, my plan is to get all of the scans in the right orientation, then to crop them, as of now I have tried 3 and using the ruler and grid drew a box around the text with a v very tiny margin left and right, giving me 3 pages that look very close to being exactly the same size left/right up/down.

This is very tedious, as I had surgery on my eyes recently and they are not fully healed so I am having to use a magnifying glass, but I want this done, so hunched over and half blind I will make progress.

I am hoping for some input that might automate some of this, if not I will continue as is and I will make a bible mod for e-sword, since I have gone to this much trouble I might as well go all the way.

Attached Files

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 07:44 PM

Hey Guys.

I got a 1982 NKJV took the book cover off, got a cutting board and trimmed the glue off.

but in doing the cutting as best I could, many of the pages when I scanned them are off center, I am using Adobe Photoshop 6, to go in and straighten the using arbitrary cw/ccw

I got to Deuteronomy before I realized photoshop had a built-in ruler and grid, I just refinished Genesis, and they are as straight as I can now get them.

Some that I eyeballed without the ruler and grid are ok but many still needed readjusting.

Is there an easier way to do this? I am kind of a perfectionist, this is going to look right if it kills me, my plan is to get all of the scans in the right orientation, then to crop them, as of now I have tried 3 and using the ruler and grid drew a box around the text with a v very tiny margin left and right, giving me 3 pages that look very close to being exactly the same size left/right up/down.

This is very tedious, as I had surgery on my eyes recently and they are not fully healed so I am having to use a magnifying glass, but I want this done, so hunched over and half blind I will make progress.

I am hoping for some input that might automate some of this, if not I will continue as is and I will make a bible mod for e-sword, since I have gone to this much trouble I might as well go all the way.

Not sure what you are attemping here but an easier way would be to find the NKJV 1982 in either a PDF file or MS-Word file and then copy and paste the text into e-Sword Tooltip which is the module creation tool. 

Your approach is noble but very time consuming

Edited by Tj Higgins, 05 April 2022 - 07:47 PM.

#3 DKHagans

DKHagans

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 09:09 PM

Well what I wanted was to have the 1982 NKJV as an e-bible. I have spent a lot of time searching for a 1982 NKJV as an e-bible,

The only place I found one is a 1983 NKJV on the internet archive, I have been "borrowing it for an hour" at a time looking up references taking a screen shot then using TXT2Cap to copy the text from the Jpeg to a text file.

It is not available for download as many of their books are.

I already have scanned the whole bible as individual jpeg files, I can use the TXT2CAP tool on them directly to copy a verse as needed, I have another post related to this asking if anyone knows of a 1982 NKJV already out there.

I have bought the estudysource NKJV but it is a 1994 or later revision, I want the first print run from 1982.

(New King James Version A)  “And someone will say to him. ‘What are these wounds in your hands?" Then he will answer. ‘Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. 1982

(New King James Version B)  And one will say to him, 'What are these wounds between your arms?' Then he will answer, 'Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. 1994 or latter

The original NKJV read closer to a KJV, this later version reads closer to a NASB and besides I just want both 1982/1994

I even looked for vintage bible software on e-bay and amazon for a 1982 NKJV no luck.

Unless someone here already has it...

#4 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 03:05 AM

Not sure what you are attemping here but an easier way would be to find the NKJV 1982 in either a PDF file or MS-Word file and then copy and paste the text into e-Sword Tooltip which is the module creation tool. 

Your approach is noble but very time consuming

Also, subject to OCR misprints.

#5 DKHagans

DKHagans

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 10:42 AM

oh yes I have become well aware of OCR misprints, as I use it quite often.

I found several NKJV PDF files but they are all 1994 or later, none of them are the 1982.

So my task at hand is to straighten each jpeg manually, then use XnConvert to crop them, there is an auto mode but since many of them seem to vary a bit in width, auto mode will crop some more than others.

The file I uploaded is a crop/copy using Photoshop to draw a box around the text, copy it to a new file keeping the same name but in a different folder so I am not over-writing my scanned files.

This is a tedious process, but I want it as professional looking as I can make them and am willing to do this to as there does not seem to be a different option available.

P.S. I also looked at various bible software programs to see if any of them had a 1982 NKJV, I have several bible programs myself including Quick-Verse 8, The Word, Logos, MoNooN, Bible deluxe, Theophilos, and several others, none of which have a 1982 NKJV, 

The oldest bible software I have found is 1994, the same year as the NKJV revision.

#6 Searcher

Searcher

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 09:57 PM

There was a version of the 1982 NKJV for e-sword 8.0 or earlier (a Red Letter version), but I don't know if that would help.  I never installed it and I don't know its origin.  But maybe it can be found in an older repository.  Those files can be opened, if not password protected, using Microsoft Access.  I understand the challenge.  I have been trying to do the same thing with Beck's An American Translation.

Edited by Searcher, 11 April 2022 - 09:58 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users