Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Will begin Frederic Godet's "la Bible Annotee" shortly.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:48 AM

Hello all. Was searching Google yesterday for free resources to possibly make, and came across "la Bible Annotee." I personally reached out to the copyright holder of the translated digitized commentary, and he has given me permission to create a commentary module for E-Sword, as long as it is for free, and the copyright holder is credited. I still have to finish Theology of Work, which is going nicely, should be done with that by Mon., but then I will have to take a week or two break to fix some things at my residence. Now that I am starting to figure ToolTip out, I guess I have the module making bug. This is more of a verse by verse commentary as opposed to the Theology of Work that has a specific topic. The description I found goes as follows:

"The Neuchâtel Annotated Bible is a French translation produced at the beginning of the 20th century by a team under the direction of the Swiss Protestant theologian Frédéric Godet. It is based on the original Hebrew and Greek texts. It presents a large number of annotations on the structure, interpretations and information on the original texts. It is also accompanied by a commentary on each Bible book and specific studies."

The commentary is in French, but translates very nicely. The gentleman that I reached out to sent me the HTML files for the Bible and Commentary, so, once it is on display, it automatically translates to English so I can copy and paste in Word. Will try to get this out ASAP, but we are realistically looking at late May, early June Lord Willing. If I am not mistaken, niether E-Sword nor theWord has this resource yet. You all have a great day/evening. God Bless.

An excerpt of Matt. 1:1-16:

"Human and divine origin of the Messiah

Chapter 1: Genealogy of Jesus Christ. His birth
1 to 17 Genealogy

We could also translate: book of birth , so that some have extended this title to the first two chapters which tell of the birth of Jesus Christ, others even to our whole gospel. But this expression being in the Septuagint the ordinary translation of the Hebrew sepher tholedoth , book of generations or families Genesis 5.1 and elsewhere, that is to say genealogical list, it is obvious that it is in this sense that you have to hear it. On these two names of Jesus Christ which are found here from the first line of the New Testament, see verse 16 , note.

The purpose of the Gospel of Matthew is to highlight the intimate and living relationship of the two covenants, to show in Jesus Christ the fulfillment of the whole history of his people ( see the introduction ). Now this goal, the evangelist manifests it from the first lines of his book, by this genealogy whose meaning is marked first of all by the two great names of David and Abraham  ;

David, into whose family was to be born, according to prophecy, the one whose kingship would be eternal Psalm 132.11  ; Isaiah 11.1  ; Jeremiah 23.5 compare Acts 13.23  ; Romans 1.3
Abraham, in whose seed were to be blessed all the families of the earth, a promise that has meaning and fulfillment only in Jesus Christ ( Genesis 12.3  ; Genesis 22.18 compare to Galatians 3: 14-16 ).
The Son of God came to take his place in this seed of Abraham and in our humanity that he had to renew. If it had been for him only to bring new revelations to the world, a long series of traditions would have sufficed and perhaps we would have found here, instead of a genealogy, the catalog of the books of the 'Old Testament. But the blessing promised to Abraham was to be realized in his posterity , and consist of a new creation, begun in the very person of the Liberator. Hence a genealogy which is not only intended to establish the historical filiation of this one.

But, it is objected, this genealogy is that of Joseph ( verse 16 ), and therefore no longer meets the purpose you attribute to it. It seems that the evangelist judged otherwise, since, on the one hand, he takes particular care to set aside the paternity of Joseph ( verses 16, 18-21 ) and that, on the other, he preserves the genealogy. It is that by going back to David and to Abraham, it also indicates the genealogical origin of Mary, mother of the Savior. He suggests that the "son of David, son Abraham" descends from these great personages through his mother, since it is not Joseph who is his father.

But this first goal achieved, the genealogy of Joseph was not useless in the eyes of an Israelite. Throughout his life Jesus was considered the son of Joseph Luke 3:23  ; Luke 4.22  ; John 6.42 and he had to be by virtue of the highest conveniences. But, moreover, there was in this opinion this well-founded, that Joseph conferred on his adopted son a legal theocratic right to the kingship, first because he was himself a descendant of David ( verse 20 ), and then because, by marrying Mary who was, as is generally supposed, heir to the name of his family Numbers 27.8 , he legally entered into his wife's line and took her name. Nehemiah 7.63 Regardless of this last opinion, which is only a probable hypothesis, it is certain that the goal of Matthew is to note the double origin of Jesus Christ, as it is revealed by the unanimous testimony. of the New Testament, namely, his descendants of David: Luke 1.27  ; Acts 2.30  ; 2 Timothy 2.8  ; Revelation 5.5  ; Revelation 22.16  ; Romans 1.3 compare Matthew 22.42  ; Mark 12.35  ; Luke 20:41 and at the same time his supernatural birth ( verses 18, 20 )."

Edited by davejonescue, 27 April 2021 - 04:19 AM.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:20 AM

Do not forget to tooltip the cross references or Bible verses in your translated commentary.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 richardchouinard

richardchouinard

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:05 PM

Hi, Did you start to work on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users