Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

NIV 1984 Red Letter Bible

IN PROGRESS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WynApse

WynApse

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

I looked around to see if the 1984 version of NIV was available, and couldn't find it. If it's there and I missed it, rescue me from doing this :)

If I can't figure out if the text source is public domain or who to credit, this will end up being for personal use, but I started it 2 days ago.

I'm thinking if I stay a day ahead of my personal "Read the Bible in a Year", then it should take the better part of a year to complete, energetic spurts of work notwithstanding.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

I looked around to see if the 1984 version of NIV was available, and couldn't find it. If it's there and I missed it, rescue me from doing this :)

If I can't figure out if the text source is public domain or who to credit, this will end up being for personal use, but I started it 2 days ago.

I'm thinking if I stay a day ahead of my personal "Read the Bible in a Year", then it should take the better part of a year to complete, energetic spurts of work notwithstanding.

The NIV is a premium or pay module downloadable through the download section of E-Sword

#3 WynApse

WynApse

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

The NIV is a premium or pay module downloadable through the download section of E-Sword

yes it is, and I've bought it... but that's the 2011 version... my wife prefers the 1984 and while searching across the web, I see other people looking for that version in a portable format as well.

It might not be something a lot of people want, but will at least allow me to continue using e-Sword while reading with my wife :)

#4 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

I have the NIV84 on my computer and here's what Bible > Information says:

1984 New International Version

The Holy Bible, New International Version
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

The "NIV" and "New International Version" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by International Bible Society. Use of either trademark requires the permission of International Bible Society.

The NIV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for 25 percent or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted.

Notice of copyright must appear on the title or copyright page of the work as follows:

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House. All rights reserved.

The "NIV" and "New International Version" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by International Bible Society. Use of either trademark requires the permission of International Bible Society.

When quotations from the NIV text are used in non-saleable media, such as church bulletins, orders of service, posters, transparencies or similar media, a complete copyright notice is not required, but the initials (NIV) must appear at the end of each quotation.

Any commentary or other Biblical reference work produced for commercial sale that uses the New International Version must obtain written permission for use of the NIV text.

Permission requests for commercial use within the U.S. and Canada that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, Zondervan Publishing House, 5300 Patterson Avenue, S.E., Grand Rapids, MI 49530.

Permission requests for commercial use within the U.K., EEC, and EFTA countries that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, Hodder & Stoughton, Ltd., 47 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3DP, England.

Permission requests for non-commercial use that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, International Bible Society, 1820 Jet Stream Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80921.

#5 WynApse

WynApse

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:07 PM

Well guess I'll write them... figured I'd have to somewhere along the way. Like I said, this is going to take most of a year, so I have time.

I'm wondering though if that copyright is a tad different now that the 2011 version is out and nobody is producing NIV84 in any form anymore.

I'll find out before I do anything beyond personal use.

Thanks!

#6 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

WynApse, you opined, "I'm wondering though if that copyright is a tad different now that the 2011 version is out and nobody is producing NIV84 in any form anymore."

That could very well be true. I've had the NIV84 for several years now, probably fifteen years or more. I imagine the only sure-fire way to know is to contact the IBS.

#7 WynApse

WynApse

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

I just got off the phone with the copyright person at Biblica and the answer is no...

So... it'll be personal use then... was hoping to give back to e-Sword... but if you can't, you can't.

Should have done that before starting this thread :)

now to figure out how to tag it differently

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users