Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Reply to MySword

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'll try, by rephrasing it, albeit that rephrase is going to be more complex, obscure, and less understandable.

For those whose Bible study consists of tearing apart the NA-28, BHS, WLC, MS, Byzantine Text, Majority Text, Clementine Vulgate, Peshita, Siddhic text, etc, then Biblical Software that only provides the KJV does not provide the texts one uses for one's Bible study, and hence is utterly useless, for such purpose, because it fails to provide the required support for the type of Bible study that one does.

Rephrased differently.

If your typical Bible study consists of studying the inflections of the Hebrew middle weak verb, with the entire range of possible variations for each conjunction (perfect, imperative, etc), person, number, gender, and stem, then Biblical software that provides the functionality is mandatory. If one's Biblical software does not provide grammar and syntax search functionality, then one's Biblical software hinders the individual, by not providing the tools for studying the Bible in their usual, standard, and accustomed manner.

Biblical software is useful, only to the extent that it supports the systems and methods of Bible Study that one uses. If it fails to support those systems and methods, then it fails to enable one to study the Bible.

jonathon

So the question is, how does any of that relate to MySword?

There are a lot of study tools here at www.biblesupport.com for MySword. RMAC is here along with Bibles that have the morphology markings that work with RMAC.

MySword also offers many more translations than just the KJV. I do not see how this applies to the discussion. Some modern translations that rely on the critical texts available are NET, LEB, and ISV. LEB and ISV come with helpful translation notes.

MySword is limited by not offering premium modules. These can be created for personal use, but this takes a lot of effort. This is not practical for most people.

#12 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

So the question is, how does any of that relate to MySword?

Does MySword support the systems, methods, and tools that one uses for one's normal and usual Bible Study?

MySword also offers many more translations than just the KJV. I do not see how this applies to the discussion.

I was using that as a generic example.

If you insist, I'll point out that MySword does not support the authorized version of the KJV, as appointed to be read for the Lessons of the Day.

And, to reiterate, using the claim that those texts can be found as a book, is akin to saying that MySword is the optimal choice for those who study the 道藏 or स्मृति.

jonathon

#13 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Does MySword support the systems, methods, and tools that one uses for one's normal and usual Bible Study?

MySword is not meant to replace the use of your main computer Bible software for most people. I use it to do devotional reading with multiple translations and occasionally to dig into something a bit when I am not near my computer. I also use it to read books because I like to read books while reading the scriptures referenced in those books in context. I also use it to teach from at church and to take notes in church.

So to be useful in your comments, tell people what mobile software can achieve what you are suggesting. If what you suggest is important to people, they can consider that software instead.

Many will not use MySword because they cannot buy their premium translations. Some will not use it because it only has 66 books in the Bible view.

I am not arguing that it replaces the need for e Sword/ theWord/ BA, or any other desktop/laptop software that one might choose to use. Lets compare it to other mobile software only.

study the 道藏 or स्मृति.

I have no idea what that means... please explain...

#14 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I don't know of any mobile software that can replace desktop Bible study. The lack of a keyboard/mouse and small screen makes mobile software mostly a quick reference platform for me. Even e-Sword HD isn't as feature rich as e-Sword for the PC. Rick seems to have designed e-Sword HD for how I said above.

I think Jonathon's gripe is it doesn't support the Catholic canon and for that reason, he's going to find fault with MySword, period. It's a common thread with Bible software, no matter what features it has or good it is, if it does not support the Catholic canon, (like theWord) Jonathon isn't going to like it. :)

Personally, I find value in an occasional reference from the Catholic canon and any number of other "books" that may not be apart of Protestant or Catholic canon. A lot of Bible scholars referenced them around the turn of the century, so it's easier to reference if it's built into the Bible software. I think you just have to keep in mind as you read various "books", their inspiration (and even authenticity in some cases) is disputed. At least, that's my perspective because I'm a Protestant. :)

EDIT: I'll also point out, the vast majority of e-Sword resources do not have tooltipped references to the Apocrypha. Only "recently" did Brent's ToolTip gain the ability to tooltip the Apocrypha. That negates much of the advantage of having those books built into the software's "Bible".

#15 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Here are some screen shots of Deluxe MySword on a 7" tablet for your information...

Attached File  Screenshot_2012-10-20-19-14-47.png   286.46K   16 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_2012-10-20-19-28-10.png   258.32K   20 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_2012-10-20-19-24-15.png   315.88K   17 downloads

Those windows can be any combinations of views you want and are easily changed by hitting the little buttons below with the window selected. Images are supported. Links between dictionary entries are supported.

For much more information on how MySword Deluxe works see here:

http://www.mysword.i...-deluxe-edition

MySword is the only mobile software that can do anything like this as far as I know.

The biggest reason I use MySword is the ability to migrate my own content. The 2nd reason is the user interface and the features are far superior to any other mobile software at this time.

They have put a lot of programming effort into making this software as good as it is. They have put more effort in than even the companies who have many employees working for them. They do require a significant donation to get the Deluxe version. If you do not like MySword, then you do not need to donate. I do not know why some get so upset about that part of it...

Peter

#16 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

I don't know of any mobile software that can replace desktop Bible study. The lack of a keyboard/mouse and small screen makes mobile software mostly a quick reference platform for me. Even e-Sword HD isn't as feature rich as e-Sword for the PC. Rick seems to have designed e-Sword HD for how I said above.

I agree with that. It is more than a quick reference for me because of how I use it at church and devotionally. I like to leave the house to read/pray so I can get some quiet. I usually do this in the car on the way to work. I also read a lot of books in MySword when I am in bed our out and about.

Some people do use MySword with tablets that have a keyboad like the Asus transformer, so they go a little beyond how I use it. It still does not compare to having a PC with lots of RAM, a fast processor, and a key board and mouse. Desktop or laptop Bible software is essential for me. MySword supplements it.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users