Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

R.B. Kuiper's The Church in History

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hjcarlson

hjcarlson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I would really enjoy having RB Kuiper's The Church in History but don't know if it is out of copyright. It is such a good text for home schooling and mission schools.

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

I would really enjoy having RB Kuiper's The Church in History but don't know if it is out of copyright. It is such a good text for home schooling and mission schools.

This book was originally published in 1951 and it does not appear to have been renewed according to the Stanford and Rutgers databases.

It is published by Eardman's and has been updated several times.

The trick would be to find an original 1951 text that could be made into a module. The updated versions are likely under copyright.

#3 hjcarlson

hjcarlson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for that information. I just checked Amazon.com and found 3 copies of the 1951 edition for sale. I am not able to scan and prepare this work for publication, but if I purchased and made available a copy, is there someone who could make it available for e-Sword users?

#4 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

I am not able to scan and prepare this work for publication,

Do you have a digital camera?
Are you willing to "destroy" the copy of the book, if you buy it?

jonathon

#5 hjcarlson

hjcarlson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Jonathan, I am willing. Actually, it would be resurrected in much greater glory and usefulness.

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Jonathan, I am willing.

Do you have a digital camera?
One with an SD/microsd card.
If so, then you can do the conversion yourself.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 05 September 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Jonathan, I am willing. Actually, it would be resurrected in much greater glory and usefulness.

If you can get good, clear pictures of the book's pages, close up, like a scan, I can OCR it into a module for you, if you like.

The problem with using digital cameras for scanning is they often blur the picture up close. And then there's 400 pages? Sounds easy, until you start doing it. You're going to stand over the image (ouch, my neck)? Rig some sort of stand ? It's easy to suggest using a digital camera, but the reality is, it's very difficult unless you use one of the big camera rigs designed for OCRing (which do use digital cameras).

I have a sheet fed scanner I use. I remove the binding from the book and feed the pages from the book through the scanner. Works very fast.

This is close to my setup;

I OCR with Omnipage. I really like how it shows me all suspect words, and I can click on the word and a popup shows the original image from the scan (just that text portion), the left side of the split screen shows the whole scanned image page (for context), and the right side shows the OCRed text. Makes OCRing a breeze. Obviously, if the original scan is blured or the characters aren't crisp, the OCRing process will be substantially difficult.

#8 hjcarlson

hjcarlson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thank you for your kind suggestions and the time you have given. I do not have adaquate computer equipment/software, but my older body parts are the main problem. My eyes no longer work so well and fatigue and pain are constant companions. I do have a Fujitsu scanner (4200c) but the document loader is very sporadic. This is why I have reached out to others for help. God bless you in your great ministry through e-Sword.

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thank you for your kind suggestions and the time you have given. I do not have adaquate computer equipment/software, but my older body parts are the main problem. My eyes no longer work so well and fatigue and pain are constant companions. I do have a Fujitsu scanner (4200c) but the document loader is very sporadic. This is why I have reached out to others for help. God bless you in your great ministry through e-Sword.

I'll make this module for you. Give me a few weeks for the book to arrive. I'll post here when it's finished and also email you as well.

Josh

#10 hjcarlson

hjcarlson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

To clarify, "Give me a few weeks for the book to arrive" - if I am to purchase and send the book, what might be the postal address?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users