Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Sort order of Daily Devotionals

10 replies to this topic

#1 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort the daily devotionals in E-Sword in alphabectical order? When I open them now the titles are all over the map and would love to be able to have them in order from left to right.

TIA,

Clint
Your Portion Of Light

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort the daily devotionals in E-Sword in alphabectical order? When I open them now the titles are all over the map and would love to be able to have them in order from left to right.

TIA,

Clint

Hi Clint,

You mean the tab names? Tab names do not appear like most people think they should. They're not alphabetized from the top row, left to right. They are alphabetized in some way, I forget which, it was confusing to me.

If you want to alphabetize the tab names, try Raymond's tool, the Library Manager: http://www.biblesupp...ibrary-manager/

#3 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hi Clint,

You mean the tab names? Tab names do not appear like most people think they should. They're not alphabetized from the top row, left to right. They are alphabetized in some way, I forget which, it was confusing to me.

If you want to alphabetize the tab names, try Raymond's tool, the Library Manager: http://www.biblesupp...ibrary-manager/

Yep, the names tags is what I'm talking about......I have about 18 or so installed and it sure would be eiser to find them if I could sort the tabs. I'll have a look at the link you suggested.

Thanks Josh!!
Your Portion Of Light

#4 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi Clint,

Hi Josh,

Gave that ulitity a try but it didn't change the order of the devotional tabs in E-sword. Back the drawing board! (LOL)
Your Portion Of Light

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the tab order is determined by the alphabetical order of the actual file name's in the eSword folder. The tab name can be anything and it will not affect it's order in the display.

NOW...What you can do is assign the files with a preface of 1_ , 2_. in the order you want them to appear.

The library manager can help you do that.

ALSO...with the libary manager you can change the names of the tab you see, if that's your wish. After you change things as you want them to appear, you need to re-boot eSword for the changes to appear.

Edited by LarryG, 01 August 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#6 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the tab order is determined by the alphabetical order of the actual file name's in the eSword folder. The tab name can be anything and it will not affect it's order in the display.

NOW...What you can do is assign the files with a preface of 1_ , 2_. in the order you want them to appear.

ALSO...with the libary manager you can change the names of the tab you see, if that's your wish. After you change things as you want them to appear, you need to re-boot eSword for the changes to appear.

Tried all those things and they still sort the same way in e-sword........It's not a big deal, just more of a pet peave, if you only have a couple it's no big deal but when you get over 12 it starts to kind of grind on ya.

Thanks Larry!
Your Portion Of Light

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yeah but then when you have multiple rows of tabs, the alphabetization starts from the lower, left corner and its just...confusing to me personally.

#8 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yeah but then when you have multiple rows of tabs, the alphabetization starts from the lower, left corner and its just...confusing to me personally.

I visualize an accordian or a expandable file....

I rearranged all my devotionals (just to make sure I gave correct instrucitons) and the tabs appear in the desired order (L to R), starting at the bottom and going up a step when a row is full. I have 3 rows of tabs. With the window totally expanded, all the tabs appear in order L to R. I used the Library Manager - a real sweet tool. :)

#9 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

LOL..........I've just decided to go with the flow and leave it the way it is. I didn't see any difference in e-sword after renaming the files soooooooooooo, I just put the files back the way they were and said "the heck with it". I note that the REFERENCE BOOKS has a FILTER BUTTON that you can click to organize THOSE BOOKS so I'm wondering how much work it would be to add that SAME FUNCTION to the DAILY DEVOITINALS section as well?! Anway, just an idea to toss around.

Thanks for all the responses!!

Clint
Your Portion Of Light

#10 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

I think of the tabs as representing file folders in a filing cabinet. In a three dimensional view, the first file folder would be closest to you in the lower left hand position. The last folder is in the upper, far, right-hand position. Once you see the logic behind it, it is no longer a big huhoo.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users