Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Restore e-Sword files to e-Sword?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JesusTeam

JesusTeam

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 01:13 AM

Something happened on my PC where I lost my files for a time. However, I found them now and I just need to know how to restore my e-Sword. I'm using windows 10 on my PC. Version 12.1.0 of e-Sword.

Does anyone know how to reinstall the files? I just need someone to guide me.

#2 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 September 2022 - 06:31 AM

Something happened on my PC where I lost my files for a time. However, I found them now and I just need to know how to restore my e-Sword. I'm using windows 10 on my PC. Version 12.1.0 of e-Sword.

Does anyone know how to reinstall the files? I just need someone to guide me.

Read the FAQ entries on https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html
Download e-Sword from https://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html
Run e-Sword and see the Drive and path to the folders listed in Options, Resource Settings on any of the Resource Option pages, in the two display boxes. You could either change the paths to where you have found your e-Sword modules and then re-start e-Sword.
Or you could copy your files to the folders created by the new installation of e-Sword, and repopulate the folders with your previously downloaded files.
The Module Installer from Bible Support will be useful if you download new files from Bible Support, where many files have been updated in the last nine months to have filenames with file types with the last letter "i", which works on e-Sword (version 11 or later) for Windows, and also on the Mac and other varieties of e-Sword.  If there are two files with the same "tab" name, the file.xxxx will load instead of the file.xxxi entry, so in that case you could rename the file.xxxx as file.xxxx.old and run from the newly downloaded file.xxxi modules instead.

#3 JesusTeam

JesusTeam

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 10:21 PM

Thank you Olaf for responding to me. I tried to do what you said, but no success and I feel lost. Here is the address to my eSword books and the address to my user files. Could you look at this and see if something is wrong? My feeling is we are off on the user files. 

C:\eSword\eSword Books

C:\eSword\eSword User Files

Any help you can give me is much appreciated, God bless!

#4 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:36 AM

Is your PC running (64-bit) or (32-bit)? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions-c6ca9541-8dce-4d48-0415-94a3faa2e13d

Please load e-Sword again from https://www.e-sword.net

Rick Meyers has two options available for e-Sword for the Windows PC:

> e-Sword version 12.2.0 - a copy of this setup file is in https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html

> e-Sword version 13.0.0 - a copy of this setup file is in https://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Download and run ONE of these versions. They will each be able to re-install e-Sword on your PC, successfully.

And then open e-Sword, on "Options, Resource Settings..." [as it is named in e-Sword version 12.2.0] or "Options, Resource Settings" [as it is named in e-Sword 13.0.0], and look in the two directory information boxes. Notice carefully the exact spelling of the drive, and the exact spelling of the path to the folders where the files are to be placed. This will show you where e-Sword expects to find your files. The directory that Rick Meyers has used, for your own files, is probably available from C:\Users\user\Documents\e-Sword\ folder

There may be another name in the "user" folder, if the PC is using a separate name for your user files, especially if you have different "users" using the same PC, to keep these separated from the other user. That's why I suggest seeing what e-Sword reports. 

Because you still have your files, but on your own named folders, off the C:\ root section of the hard-drive, you could carefully start to move the files to the directories which e-Sword reported to you. Then start e-Sword, and see if you can access those files with your new e-Sword. Then continue to copy files to e-Sword. 

If you download the Module Installer from Bible Support, that will install itself in the This PC > Windows (C:) > Program Files > e-Sword Module Installer\ folder, with it's associated files, one of which is "ModuleInstaller.exe". This will very helpfully associate the e-Sword filename file types in your PC with the C:\Program Files\e-Sword Module Installer\ModuleInstaller.exe file. This is a wizard which will help you to move each file, in the existing folder, to the required folder where e-Sword expects the file to be located. This is also useful when you download a file from BIBLE SUPPORT, as you can click on that file, or on the unzipped file, and then that module will be copied to the correct folder.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 07 September 2022 - 02:40 AM.

#5 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:38 AM

click on Options and "Resource Settings"
On the "Resources Location" are the modules.
The default place for the "Resources Location" is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword

OR for the older editions of Windows
C:\Program Files\e-Sword

The default place for the User Files Location
C:\Users\???\Documents\e-Sword

??? I don't know your username in Windows.

You need only to copy both locations for a backup.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 September 2022 - 06:56 PM

Katoog, on 06 Sept 2022 - 6:38 PM, said:

click on Options and "Resource Settings"
On the "Resources Location" are the modules.
The default place for the "Resources Location" is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword

OR for the older editions of Windows
C:\Program Files\e-Sword

The default place for the User Files Location
C:\Users\???\Documents\e-Sword

??? I don't know your username in Windows.

You need only to copy both locations for a backup.

And if what Katoog just shared doesn't work, your goose is pretty much cooked -> You've permanently lost your files. So if that is the case, then you're going to have to go right back to the beginning (trying to remember all the e-Sword resources you had (and oh what a job that's going to be), and that's the worst part), and re-download everything you lost.

That said, there is a take away for you, and that is, Back up your data. Even with that said, in the event if what Katoog shared works out for you, still back up your data. That's not a mere suggestion, that's telling you.

Below is a video that will show you an effective simple and straight forward method of doing a backup which doesn't take much time in doing it.

For best viewing performance click on "Watch on YouTube."

Edited by APsit190, 06 September 2022 - 07:17 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 September 2022 - 02:50 AM

When you download e-Sword, there will be a copy of the e-Sword User's Guide, in PDF format, provided to your PC. With e-Sword running, you can access this with tapping the pointer on any e-Sword screen, then use keyboard shortcut "F1" key. You will find a copy in C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\e-Sword_guide.pdf which will pop-up on screen. Use Ctrl+F to search for words. You could print this out if you have an attached printer available, and annotate it with your own notes. Total of 257 pages, including the Index.

If your PC is running 32-bit, the file will be in C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword_guide.pdf

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 07 September 2022 - 02:52 AM.

#8 JesusTeam

JesusTeam

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:09 PM

Is your PC running (64-bit) or (32-bit)? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions-c6ca9541-8dce-4d48-0415-94a3faa2e13d

Please load e-Sword again from https://www.e-sword.net

Rick Meyers has two options available for e-Sword for the Windows PC:

> e-Sword version 12.2.0 - a copy of this setup file is in https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html

> e-Sword version 13.0.0 - a copy of this setup file is in https://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Download and run ONE of these versions. They will each be able to re-install e-Sword on your PC, successfully.

And then open e-Sword, on "Options, Resource Settings..." [as it is named in e-Sword version 12.2.0] or "Options, Resource Settings" [as it is named in e-Sword 13.0.0], and look in the two directory information boxes. Notice carefully the exact spelling of the drive, and the exact spelling of the path to the folders where the files are to be placed. This will show you where e-Sword expects to find your files. The directory that Rick Meyers has used, for your own files, is probably available from C:\Users\user\Documents\e-Sword\ folder

There may be another name in the "user" folder, if the PC is using a separate name for your user files, especially if you have different "users" using the same PC, to keep these separated from the other user. That's why I suggest seeing what e-Sword reports. 

Because you still have your files, but on your own named folders, off the C:\ root section of the hard-drive, you could carefully start to move the files to the directories which e-Sword reported to you. Then start e-Sword, and see if you can access those files with your new e-Sword. Then continue to copy files to e-Sword. 

If you download the Module Installer from Bible Support, that will install itself in the This PC > Windows (C:) > Program Files > e-Sword Module Installer\ folder, with it's associated files, one of which is "ModuleInstaller.exe". This will very helpfully associate the e-Sword filename file types in your PC with the C:\Program Files\e-Sword Module Installer\ModuleInstaller.exe file. This is a wizard which will help you to move each file, in the existing folder, to the required folder where e-Sword expects the file to be located. This is also useful when you download a file from BIBLE SUPPORT, as you can click on that file, or on the unzipped file, and then that module will be copied to the correct folder.

Thank you Olaf for your detailed response. I am running 64-bit. Your answer gave me a lot of hope that this can be fixed. However, in my situation I'm not capable mentally or physically to figure it out due to an injury. My daughter and I followed what you said, but for some reason it's still not working. Is it possible to hire somebody who can help me through this?

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:41 PM

However, in my situation I'm not capable mentally or physically to figure it out due to an injury. My daughter and I followed what you said, but for some reason it's still not working. Is it possible to hire somebody who can help me through this?

So, with that, I hope this video, just freshly made and cooked to perfection :lol:, will help.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 07 September 2022 - 11:42 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 JesusTeam

JesusTeam

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:18 PM

And if what Katoog just shared doesn't work, your goose is pretty much cooked -> You've permanently lost your files. So if that is the case, then you're going to have to go right back to the beginning (trying to remember all the e-Sword resources you had (and oh what a job that's going to be), and that's the worst part), and re-download everything you lost.

That said, there is a take away for you, and that is, Back up your data. Even with that said, in the event if what Katoog shared works out for you, still back up your data. That's not a mere suggestion, that's telling you.

Below is a video that will show you an effective simple and straight forward method of doing a backup which doesn't take much time in doing it.

For best viewing performance click on "Watch on YouTube."

Is there anyway I could hire you to help me with this? Since you are a developer, an d I do not want to lose my files. I have a lot. If yes, how much would it cost? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. God bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users