Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword on Startup

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Swink

Jake Swink

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

On my laptop, a Win7 Home Edition, everytime I start up. e-Sword starts up with it. I do not want this to happen, because it slows down my start-up time.
I have checked most of the start-up issues with windows, but I have not been able ot figure it out.
Any ideas?

#2 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Not only is that interesting, but I'm sure many of the BibSuppers would like to know how to make that happen.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#3 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

...I'm sure many of the BibSuppers would like to know how to make that happen.

Easy enough to do. Click the windows button, select "All Programs", right click on and open the "Startup" folder, then add a shortcut to e-Sword.

#4 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

On my laptop, a Win7 Home Edition, everytime I start up. e-Sword starts up with it. I do not want this to happen, because it slows down my start-up time.
I have checked most of the start-up issues with windows, but I have not been able ot figure it out.
Any ideas?

Check your startup folder (see above)

If it is not in there Msconfig can tell you if e-Sword is in your hidden list of startup programs. Click the Windows button, type "run" (without quotes) select "run" from the list, type "msconfig" (again without the quotes). This will open the Windows startup configuration utility, click the "startup" tab and you can see if e-Sword happens to be there.

#5 dbax

dbax

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have the same thing happening. While some might welcome this problem some do not for the very reason Jake is trouble by. Using Msconfig does not show esword in the startup. esword startsup automaticlly, even when I am not going to use it. when I close it it closes then starts up again. Windows 7 user.

One other thing. When my internet wifi is up esword runs slow and at times when changing from one esword window to the other is seems to freeze, or goes into a waiting mode -- very iritating. When I disconnect from the internet esword speeds up with no delays. It seems esword is constantly checking the internet? How do I stop this kind of activity?

#6 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

....When my internet wifi is up esword runs slow and at times when changing from one esword window to the other is seems to freeze, or goes into a waiting mode -- very iritating. When I disconnect from the internet esword speeds up with no delays. It seems esword is constantly checking the internet? How do I stop this kind of activity?

Myself, I am also running Win7 64 Home Premium and have had problems with eSword v10.1 wanting to contact an outside Internet connection. The way that I solved this was after I had set up the eSword branded modules the way that I wanted, I restricted (blocked) the eSword program to the Internet with my Firewall software (Comodo Firewall). Then I was free to add any modules I wanted from BibleSupport - eSword no longer had access to the Internet.

I've also had problems with the software 'freezing up' while shifting from function-to-function - very irritating! I have had partial success by limiting the number of modules I have activated (turned on). I also did a complete re-install and that helped for about a month, but the problem returned. Others do not seem to have these problems, so I don't know what I am doing different. Perhaps if I added more RAM the 'freezing' delay problem would stop, but I would think 4GB RAM should be sufficient. I use a cable modem for Internet connection.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

I've also had problems with the software 'freezing up' while shifting from function-to-function - very irritating! I have had partial success by limiting the number of modules I have activated (turned on). I also did a complete re-install and that helped for about a month, but the problem returned. Others do not seem to have these problems, so I don't know what I am doing different. Perhaps if I added more RAM the 'freezing' delay problem would stop, but I would think 4GB RAM should be sufficient. I use a cable modem for Internet connection.

e-Sword 10.1 freezes with me as well and I run Windows 7.I have 6 gigs of ram and an overall computer that runs Photoshop with no problem. I don't think it's the computer. :)

I notice the freezing after e-Sword sits idle while using another program. After switching to e-Sword and trying to change contents of a screen, the freeze happens. There's no power saving options enabled on my computer and this happens with no other application.

#8 david psalms

david psalms

Resource Builder

• Moderators
  • 984 posts
  • LocationAndhra Pradesh, India

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I too had the same problem. i have to reinstall to solve it. What i observed was when u turn on more resources it happens. so on only the modules you need. it works perfectly.

The first goal in life is to make ourselves acceptable to the LORD

#9 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

I have two new computers with windows 8 2.7 processors and 8 gig and it still is slow and freezes between resource changes now and then so Josh is right on it probably not being the computer - not that his expertness needs confirmation :-). My new rigs do load it a bit faster than the old ones which is nice for sure :-) and the wait is worth it to have such resources at hand.

#10 emilzalez

emilzalez

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

That happens with me too. I use xp sp3 and added ram memory, but still happens. I just don't know what cause it but maybe Josh has a point, it is in relation with idling.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users