Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Suidas or Suda Lexicon

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 September 2023 - 04:53 AM

There is a web based version of this Lexicon, translated. Does anyone know if there's an eSword version, or PDF even, please?

https://www.cs.uky.e...l/sol/sol-html/

Edited by BigPaw, 16 September 2023 - 04:56 AM.

#2 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 September 2023 - 05:43 AM

If I've asked this in the wrong place, or asked anything bad, I don't mind being told.

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 11:40 AM

If I've asked this in the wrong place, or asked anything bad, I don't mind being told.

I looks as if you will need to contact the people behind the website to see if they will make a text file available so that an e-Sword module can be made. 

#4 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 September 2023 - 10:30 AM

I looks as if you will need to contact the people behind the website to see if they will make a text file available so that an e-Sword module can be made. 

If there's anyone out there who would like to do that I wouldn't complain. I wouldn't be able to complete a module to the standards you find here. There are better people here for that than me. 

#5 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 03:52 PM

it looks like an interesting dictionary, but im not understanding how it would be helpful for bible work?

most dictionaries link to the original greek/hebrew/aramaic, often with strongs or similiar.

so my question is what would use suda?

of course no harm in another dictionary, but not understanding its usefulness beyond that

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 07:32 PM

it looks like an interesting dictionary, but im not understanding how it would be helpful for bible work?

most dictionaries link to the original greek/hebrew/aramaic, often with strongs or similiar.

so my question is what would use suda?

of course no harm in another dictionary, but not understanding its usefulness beyond that

gad4,

The Suda does have information in both Greek and Hebrew here is one entry:

Headword: *)/abel
Adler number: alpha,30
Translated headword: Abel
Vetting Status: high
Translation:

Son of Adam.[1] This man was chaste and just from the beginning and a shepherd of flocks; out of these he offered a sacrifice to God and was accepted, but was then killed because he was envied by his brother Cain.[2] Cain happened to be a farmer and after the judgement he lived worse, with groaning and trembling. For Abel, by dedicating the firstborn [of the flock] to God, recommended himself as more God-loving than self-loving,[3] and because this was a good choice, he was accepted. But Cain impiously kept his first-fruits for himself and gave the seconds to God, and for this reason was rightly rejected. For it says: "and after some days it happened that Cain offered from the fruits of the earth."[4] Cain was disgraced by the fact that the produce he offered was not the first-fruits but that which was some days old and second-best.

Greek Original:

*)/abel: ui(o\s *)ada/m. ou(=tos parqe/nos kai\ di/kaios u(ph=rxe kai\ poimh\n proba/twn: e)c w(=n kai\ qusi/an tw=| qew=| prosagagw\n kai\ dexqei\s a)nairei=tai, fqonhqei\s u(po\ tou= a)delfou= au)tou= *ka/i+n. o( *ka/i+n de\ gewrgo\s tugxa/nwn kai\ meta\ th\n di/khn xeiro/nws biw/sas ste/nwn kai\ tre/mwn h)=n. o( ga\r *)/abel ta\ prwto/toka tw=| qew=| kaqierw=n filo/qeon ma=llon h)\ fi/lauton e(auto\n suni/sth, o(/qen kai\ dia\ th=s a)gaqh=s au)tou= proaire/sews a)pede/xqh. o( de\ *ka/i+n dussebw=s e(autw=| a)pone/mwn ta\ prwtogennh/mata, qew=| de\ ta\ deu/tera, ei)ko/tws kai\ a)peblh/qh. fhsi\ ga/r: kai\ e)ge/neto meq' h(me/ras, prosh/negke *ka/i+n a)po\ tw=n karpw=n th=s gh=s. w(/ste dia\ tou=to *ka/i+n e)le/gxetai, o(/ti mh\ ta\ a)kroqi/nia gennh/mata prosh/negke tw=| qew=|, a)lla\ ta\ meq' h(me/ras kai\ deu/tera.

Notes:

George the Monk, Chronicon 6.10-7.16.
[1] alpha 425.
[2] kappa 27.
[3] Again at sigma 1580.
[4] Genesis 4:3.

Keywords: agriculturebiographybotanyChristianitydaily lifeethicsfoodhistoriographyreligionzoology
Translated byAnne Mahoney on 20 August 1998@17:57:27.
Vetted by:

William Hutton (Modified translation, cosmetics, keywords, set status) on 27 January 2001@12:23:00.
David Whitehead (augmented notes and keywords) on 27 February 2003@08:28:31.
David Whitehead (another x-ref) on 8 September 2003@06:15:32.
David Whitehead (another keyword) on 2 October 2005@10:57:50.
David Whitehead (more keywords; cosmetics; raised status) on 22 June 2011@07:14:12.
David Whitehead (another keyword; tweaks) on 29 August 2012@10:24:09.
Catharine Roth (coding) on 5 August 2013@01:03:34.

#7 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 10:25 PM

I'm just not understanding what it is and what is coordinating with.

#8 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 September 2023 - 03:39 AM

I don't like or trust Wikipedia, but this summary is simple enough and it's certainly briefer than the Suda page's own explanation...

The Suda is somewhere between a grammatical dictionary and an encyclopedia in the modern sense. It explains the source, derivation, and meaning of words according to the philology of its period, using such earlier authorities as Harpocration and Helladios.[10][11] It is a rich source of ancient and Byzantine history and life, although not every article is of equal quality, and it is an "uncritical" compilation.[10]

Just as with all the resources you'll find on the Bible Support site, don't take it blindly as an authoritative resource. There will be pieces among the various reference works that will give you an interesting insight on specific word usages in the languages of the Bible, but that insight must harmonize with the overall message of the Bible.

Edited by BigPaw, 23 September 2023 - 03:51 AM.

#9 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 08:21 AM

It sounds like a good dictionary but how does a byzantine dictionary help with the Bible

I'm not understanding how it would be different than using modern cultural meaning to interpret the kjv.

I could see its use for the early church fathers or Koran, but seems to modern for Bible words

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 11:03 AM

I'm just not understanding what it is and what is coordinating with.

The headword entry in the sample above is the name Abel who was the son of Adam, Abel has the Strong's # G6. 

The SOL dictionary entries could be edited to include Strong's numbers and cross references make it more functional for e-Sword use. e-Sword dictionaries can also be linked with words creating what are called "Topical Dictionaries" such as Nave's topical dictionary, An SOL module could work both ways 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users