Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

I just have to tell somebody

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thank you. An FYI: Fenton's Holy Bible in Modern English is still in publication. You can find it at:

http://www.destinypu.../cat/BIBLES.asp

The prices range from $29 in hardcover to $39 for softcover (leather?).

Thanks for the link. this is the publisher that I purchased from a few years back. Though it was great to get the translation, the binding and overall quality of the bibles is average at best. I read through the entire translation and when I had finished I needed a new binding.

This is one translation that I dearly love to have in esword but I have not seen anything available. As I understand it the new copies that are/or were being printed when I purchased mine were being printed from pdf scans of the original bible. The original negatives or plates, whatever they used, were destroyed by fire many years ago. The font used is the copy that I have is not scan friendly as it turns out.

#12 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

That is an amazing collection. Seeing something like this makes me so thankful for what brother Rick has provided to the body of Christ. To Ebed, I didn't know the Old Scofield was rare. I've been through about 3 Scofield Bibles. The one I have now is pristine because of lack of usage. I'm pretty much all digital bibles now, when I'm out and about I use Youversion Bible app on my Phone. It is my Church bible as well.

I'm more interested in a 1909 first edition or the 1917 revised edition. My bride says I'm too picky.
Posted Image

#13 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm more interested in a 1909 first edition or the 1917 revised edition. My bride says I'm too picky.

Hmm.. not too picky.... another way to put it would be 'extremely selective' . When my wife tells me something like that I tell her that is how she was selected... through an 'extremely selective" process... she doesn't usually go for it but it changes the topic rather quickly.. :D

#14 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

I do not know if this goes here or not but I must tell somebody and I chose you fine folks because I thought someone may be interested.

I collect Bibles. Next to my family, it is my most abiding passion. Today I acquired an 1848 Polyglot Bible. The boards are separated and a few pages are is separated but it appears to be complete. For being 164 years old, it is in pretty good condition and well within my abilities to restore. It is truly pleasing to me to have added this somewhat rare Bible to my collection.

In addition I also acquired a 1952 Olive Pell Bible in near pristine condition. For those unfamiliar, Mrs. Pell, she was an artist and poet. She was the step-mother of Claibore Pell, the senator from Rhode Island most famous for being the originator of the Pell education grants. Anyway, she took it upon herself to condense the King James Bible down to its base essentials. This is somewhat like what Reader's Digest did with the RSV and what GoodSpeed did with his own "An American Translation" in making his "Short Bible". As an aside, I also own those two abridged Bibles. The Olive Pell Bible is a fun addition to my collection.

Ahhhhhhhhh. I feel so much better now that I have told someone. :P

Ebed,

Are you familiar with the translation by Ferrar Fenton?

#15 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ebed,

Me, I never heard of the bloke. Fact is I can definitely say, I never ever seen him and so I haven't even got a clue as to what he's like.
ROFL.gif

One of these days I'll learn how to be somewhat more serious But until then....

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 21 May 2012 - 05:59 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#16 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Me, I never heard of the bloke. Fact is I can definitely say, I never ever seen him and so I haven't even got a clue as to what he's like.

One of these days I'll learn how to be somewhat more serious But until then....

Blessings,

You have a great sense of humor sir.. sort of like me when I am drinking heavily... hehe...

#17 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Ebed,

Sorry, I am not that familiar with the work. It is on my "TO BE ACQUIRED LIST". What little I do know sounds quite interesting. Fenton apparently belonged to a group which espoused the belief that people of British and other European lineages were descendants of the lost ten tribes. Apparently his translation reflects that belief.
Posted Image

#18 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Sorry, I am not that familiar with the work. It is on my "TO BE ACQUIRED LIST". What little I do know sounds quite interesting. Fenton apparently belonged to a group which espoused the belief that people of British and other European lineages were descendants of the lost ten tribes. Apparently his translation reflects that belief.

Finding the original hard copies of Fenton is difficult but there are new copies being printer by Destiny publishers.
I happen to share the same thought as Ferrar Fenton on the origin of the British people and those that sprung from them. There is a great deal of evidence that points to it. However I see little evidence of it in his translation other than in the forward information where he states his belief. I can't say as I know much about what his thoughts were other than that though.
In some cases I think translators want to go out and do soemthing bold with their translation, as if they had found some new thing when they were working.. He seems to use wording to be different, as do a lot of translators. Ultimately everyone puts their own spin on things.

#19 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Ultimately everyone puts their own spin on things.

"Ultimately everyone puts their own spin on things."

that was so good and to the point it needed said again

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#20 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

"Ultimately everyone puts their own spin on things."

that was so good and to the point it needed said again

We are all spinners and we have all been spun as it were.. haha.. a great point there I think! I love it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users