Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

I just have to tell somebody

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I do not know if this goes here or not but I must tell somebody and I chose you fine folks because I thought someone may be interested.

I collect Bibles. Next to my family, it is my most abiding passion. Today I acquired an 1848 Polyglot Bible. The boards are separated and a few pages are is separated but it appears to be complete. For being 164 years old, it is in pretty good condition and well within my abilities to restore. It is truly pleasing to me to have added this somewhat rare Bible to my collection.

In addition I also acquired a 1952 Olive Pell Bible in near pristine condition. For those unfamiliar, Mrs. Pell, she was an artist and poet. She was the step-mother of Claibore Pell, the senator from Rhode Island most famous for being the originator of the Pell education grants. Anyway, she took it upon herself to condense the King James Bible down to its base essentials. This is somewhat like what Reader's Digest did with the RSV and what GoodSpeed did with his own "An American Translation" in making his "Short Bible". As an aside, I also own those two abridged Bibles. The Olive Pell Bible is a fun addition to my collection.

Ahhhhhhhhh. I feel so much better now that I have told someone. :P
Posted Image

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Weeee, Yippee, and wooohooo ! What a way to go!

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks, bud. It just needed to be off loaded. Glad ya understood.
Posted Image

#4 saved37

saved37

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCitizen of Heaven Through Christ Jesus

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

lol That is awesome. If it wasn't for E-sword I would be a collector of Bibles myself. I have a trusty old Scofield and a Hebrew Greek key study bible. Both on E-sword as well which means my hard copies are collecting dust at the moment.
"Col 2:6 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
Col 2:7 having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude."

#5 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

I understand that. e-Sword allows one to be a Bible collector as well and BibleSupport.com helps us feed our benign addiction.

As for hard copies of the Bible, it is somewhat difficult to be a collector on a budget of $20 a paycheck which is all I can afford. So I frequent used bookstores, thrift stores, flea markets (I find that to be such a quaint name) and yard sales. I also buy occasionally from ebay and online book sales but infrequently because the price must include shipping to fit in my budget. I've also learned how to repair books because damaged books can be had for a much discounted price and with guidance from the internet, a little patience and a critical eye, it is not that complicated. I like to think I've save a few precious volumes from the ignominious fate of the garbage dump. Far better to gather a little dust on my shelves that that!

Just an FYI, your old Scofield is one that I do not have. I have a "New" Scofield which is somewhat controversial because of the liberties which the editors took with Dr. Scofield's work. I also have a "First" Scofield which is purportedly a reprint of the 1909 edition. But I have yet to find either an original 1909 or Dr. Scofield's 1917 revised edition. So I envy you.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 02 May 2012 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

#6 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

I collect Bibles. Next to my family, it is my most abiding passion. Today I acquired an 1848 Polyglot Bible. The boards are separated and a few pages are is separated but it appears to be complete. For being 164 years old, it is in pretty good condition and well within my abilities to restore. It is truly pleasing to me to have added this somewhat rare Bible to my collection.

That is an admirable item to collect. The bible that I would most like to get my hands on is Ferrar Fentons translation. I have one or two later reprints which were bound so poorly I had to have one rebound. There is great value in the older translations, especially where the accuracy of the translation is pure. Congratulations on your latest aquisition.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I understand that. e-Sword allows one to be a Bible collector as well and BibleSupport.com helps us feed our benign addiction.

Hi Ebed,
Well, as far as e-Sword Bibles go, I doubt that I have the greatest number of them. That said, when it comes to actual English translations and versions, I dunno if I have them all, but I am confident to say that I would have the vast majority of them. Below is a screenshot of the translations that I have running on my e-Sword.

Maori Bibles (Psa119) Formatting.jpg

Of what I currently have, if I were to have them in hard copy, it I would have well over NZ$3,000 dollars worth of Bibles there. To be honest, that would be an extremely rough guess. I know as far as my total e-Sword Library is concerned, I would have close to about US$20,000 worth of resources, and of that about 95% of them are free.

So, for what Josh and everyone else is doing with regards to resources , and what is here, I would roughly estimate there would be quite a few million dollars worth of stuff here. If anyone want's to have a go at calculating it to compare what it would cost to buy the hardcopy editions of these resources and blow our minds away, please feel free.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 02 May 2012 - 08:56 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

That is an admirable item to collect. The bible that I would most like to get my hands on is Ferrar Fentons translation. I have one or two later reprints which were bound so poorly I had to have one rebound. There is great value in the older translations, especially where the accuracy of the translation is pure. Congratulations on your latest aquisition.

Thank you. An FYI: Fenton's Holy Bible in Modern English is still in publication. You can find it at:

http://www.destinypu.../cat/BIBLES.asp

The prices range from $29 in hardcover to $39 for softcover (leather?).
Posted Image

#9 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hi Ebed,
Well, as far as e-Sword Bibles go, I doubt that I have the greatest number of them. That said, when it comes to actual English translations and versions, I dunno if I have them all, but I am confident to say that I would have the vast majority of them. Below is a screenshot of the translations that I have running on my e-Sword.

Of what I currently have, if I were to have them in hard copy, it I would have well over NZ$3,000 dollars worth of Bibles there. To be honest, that would be an extremely rough guess. I know as far as my total e-Sword Library is concerned, I would have close to about US$20,000 worth of resources, and of that about 95% of them are free.

So, for what Josh and everyone else is doing with regards to resources , and what is here, I would roughly estimate there would be quite a few million dollars worth of stuff here. If anyone want's to have a go at calculating it to compare what it would cost to buy the hardcopy editions of these resources and blow our minds away, please feel free.

Blessings,

I think you are right. The extrinsic value, including all tangible and intangible factors, is at least a million. Using my rather conservative budgetary figure of $20 and multiplying it by the 3,848 listed e-Sword modules, I arrived at an intrinsic value of $76,960. That is probably too conservative a figure. Some of the modules are multi-volume sets. Others are out of print and to purchase them would be extraordinarily expensive. Some modules are considered other than orthodox by certain dogmatists and these would argue the module's value. Still and all $77K is a very impressive figure, in and of itself.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 02 May 2012 - 10:49 PM.

Posted Image

#10 saved37

saved37

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCitizen of Heaven Through Christ Jesus

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi Ebed,

Blessings,

That is an amazing collection. Seeing something like this makes me so thankful for what brother Rick has provided to the body of Christ. To Ebed, I didn't know the Old Scofield was rare. I've been through about 3 Scofield Bibles. The one I have now is pristine because of lack of usage. I'm pretty much all digital bibles now, when I'm out and about I use Youversion Bible app on my Phone. It is my Church bible as well.
"Col 2:6 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
Col 2:7 having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users