Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What if e-Sword

22 replies to this topic

#11 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

And my apologies to Josh for High-jacking his thread

May I hi-jack it as well? While we are wishing, I wish we could search the "Compare" results for specific word, words or phrase.
Posted Image

#12 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

May I hi-jack it as well? While we are wishing, I wish we could search the "Compare" results for specific word, words or phrase.

I like that idea that way you can easily see how many translations used a particular word or phrase in that verse

(Did I hit the nail on the head. Or did I slip off and hit your thumb with the hammer

Edited by DSaw, 23 March 2012 - 11:03 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#13 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

"This might be obvious, but it would need to operate like the existing windows and be collapsible for those using small screens."

Lack of clairty, I meant the new built in ref/step window would be nice if it it/they were to be callapsible and leave only one window open like the Bible, Comm and dict. do now. In other words the ref; dic; step; bible;comm boxes would open and close as the bible comm dict do now.

#14 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

I like that idea that way you can easily see how many translations used a particular word or phrase in that verse

(Did I hit the nail on the head. Or did I slip off and hit your thumb with the hammer

Nope, that was perfect! English is such a dynamic language, which is the primary reason why the English Bible has so many "revisions". Sometimes, when I write/teach on a particular subject, I just need a version which more closely says in English what it says in the original tongue. You can do that manually now but with over 200 translations, editions, versions, etc., it can be quite difficult or at least time consuming. In short, you did hit the nail square on the head.
Posted Image

#15 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

For e-Sword 7.x, there was a tool chain that constructed a concordance of each Bible, then merged the results together.
It hasn't been migrated to e-Sword 10.x.

I have no idea if the dictionaries it creates can be legally redistibuted.

jonathon

#16 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

"This might be obvious, but it would need to operate like the existing windows and be collapsible for those using small screens."

Lack of clairty, I meant the new built in ref/step window would be nice if it it/they were to be callapsible and leave only one window open like the Bible, Comm and dict. do now. In other words the ref; dic; step; bible;comm boxes would open and close as the bible comm dict do now.

I agree. I'm quite happy with the way the screens function now, and I wouldn't want to lose screen real estate to everything jammed on one screen. I need the screen real estate for larger fonts (my eyes). If you could close the extra components and make them tabs on the left side of the screen, that would allow me to keep using e-Sword the way I am now. Do I understand correctly that some are wanting graphics, reference library, and step reader added to the main screen? If so, please keep in mind probably many of us who would want the same options we have now with what goes where and how/when it opens.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#17 StandingFirm

StandingFirm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

I think it would be a great idea. I do a lot of my study with the reference library. When I click on a scripture link it is hard moving back and forth between the bible and the book in the reference library. You can resize your windows so that it will work for you but it would be easier if they were all integrated. If anyone has any suggestions for working with the reference library I would appreciate that.

#18 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

For e-Sword 7.x, there was a tool chain that constructed a concordance of each Bible, then merged the results together.
It hasn't been migrated to e-Sword 10.x.

I have no idea if the dictionaries it creates can be legally redistibuted.

jonathon

I don't think you would need to distribute the dictionaries. The tool would be enough.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#19 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Looked like this, with the Reference Library having the option of being fully integrated into the main window configuration:

Josh,
I like your idea in theory. That said, having more windows than one can poke a stick at on an interface can and does create clutter, and more than that, it also restricts the work space.

I looked at Jonathon's screenshot and nearly fell off my seat with shock. No room there for any work

So when I think as to where to put the Reference Library, then that has to be something that has to be considered in where it doesn't create clutter and restricts the environment. I think, rather than have an extra window which would restrict the workspace, I think it could be added as a tabbed page to either the editors or the Commentaries.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 23 March 2012 - 09:56 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#20 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

I don't think you would need to distribute the dictionaries. The tool would be enough.

The tool chain isn't able to create a concordance for official e-Sword 10.x resources.

jonathon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users