Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

.zip formatt rather than .exe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

What is the possibility of downloadable files in a .zip format rather than .exe
Scribe

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

What is the possibility of downloadable files in a .zip format rather than .exe

I made most modules self extracting because so many casual users couldn't move them to the right folder. Are you having a problem with an exe file, or do you want to move resources cross platform and need a zip? Or, have you downloaded hundreds or thousands of files and your tired of clicking the install and next buttons during installation? There is a silent install option for exe's downloaded from this site...

IPboard supports multiple download options in a single file listing. So if we wanted to, we could allow a module to be downloaded as exe, zip, or uncompressed. It would take someone quite a while to add those entries through the site interface. Adding it through the database side is a possibility, but it would take some careful scripting (I think...). Maybe this should be a long term goal for this site.

Another idea I can look into, is if there's a way for the server to extract an exe in realtime, and let the user download it as a zip or uncompressed. I have my doubts about this because the server is linux based (and the exe is windows based).

#3 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

I made most modules self extracting because so many casual users couldn't move them to the right folder.
[...]
Another idea I can look into, is if there's a way for the server to extract an exe in realtime, and let the user download it as a zip or uncompressed. I have my doubts about this because the server is linux based (and the exe is windows based).

Hi

I now by experience that uncompressing a .zip file to the e-Sword folder, which may seem easy as pie to many of us, is a huge challenge for a lot of e-Sword users who are less experienced with their computer.

On the other hand, installers that are prepared with Winzip and Winrar (and 7zip, I guess) can be renamed from .exe to .zip, .rar or .7z and they will behave like normal archives.

Regards,

Carlos

#4 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I made most modules self extracting because so many casual users couldn't move them to the right folder. Are you having a problem with an exe file, or do you want to move resources cross platform and need a zip? Or, have you downloaded hundreds or thousands of files and your tired of clicking the install and next buttons during installation? There is a silent install option for exe's downloaded from this site...

IPboard supports multiple download options in a single file listing. So if we wanted to, we could allow a module to be downloaded as exe, zip, or uncompressed. It would take someone quite a while to add those entries through the site interface. Adding it through the database side is a possibility, but it would take some careful scripting (I think...). Maybe this should be a long term goal for this site.

Thank you for your response.

I understand the reason to use .exe for most users and I'm sure by percentage it's much more convenient. Not sure the silent install is what I'd be looking for, unless it gives the choice of seeing what is going to be installed, along with the choice to chose what is and where it's installed.

Often my preference is to open the file (data base) outside of e-Sword to view the contents. If it's in a .zip format one can easily extract the file to a place of their choice without going through the install process. I would prefer not having the uninstall file(s) which come with the .exe. I'm looking for a faster way to get to the resource.

Another thought - Is there a simple way to open the .exe without executing it so that the actual resource can be extracted (copied) to a location of users choice?
Scribe

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

Josh give good reasons for having an EXE instal file. The install EXE does not need to come with an uninstall option. Files from BibleSupport.com data for the most part, data files for e-Sword. Unless you are doing user support, you may not know home many people do not really know there way around Windows Explorer. Having an installer decreases user support requirements! The Installer EXE can be made to have the end user be asked where they want to put the file to be installed. Most would just click through and be done.

#6 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

Another thought - Is there a simple way to open the .exe without executing it so that the actual resource can be extracted (copied) to a location of users choice?

Hi

I understand why you prefer to see what's being installed. I prefer that too.

When the installer has been built with .zip or .rar, you can just change the extension to .zip or .rar and it will work as a normal archive. But that's not the case with the files from BibleSupport.

Maybe the solution Josh proposed can be implemented.

Regards,

Carlos

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

Why not just execute the file and override the installation folder. Change it from the e-sword folder to a test location. Once you do that (at least on my computer), the future exe's downloaded from this site will "remember" the test location until you specify otherwise.

The installer I use is innosetup, by the way. You might find some other options on their website, but I doubt it. I think this idea and the silent install is about it.

#8 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hi

I now by experience that uncompressing a .zip file to the e-Sword folder, which may seem easy as pie to many of us, is a huge challenge for a lot of e-Sword users who are less experienced with their computer.

On the other hand, installers that are prepared with Winzip and Winrar (and 7zip, I guess) can be renamed from .exe to .zip, .rar or .7z and they will behave like normal archives.

Regards,

Carlos

Carlos,

Thanks for the information. I'm quite sure the challenge for most users to get a file in the correct location is difficult. I've been there and don't want to go back. :)

Josh give good reasons for having an EXE instal file.

I agree.

The install EXE does not need to come with an uninstall option.

But they do. It's not that big of a deal, I was just expressing my preference.

Unless you are doing user support, you may not know home many people do not really know there way around Windows Explorer.

I believe a larger portion of people don't know what Windows Explorer is let alone navigate through it. Which is why an installer is better for them and for those offering support.

Having an installer decreases user support requirements! The Installer EXE can be made to have the end user be asked where they want to put the file to be installed. Most would just click through and be done.

On the installer (exe) used by e-Sword users group I was able to - right click - then open archive with 7zip copy/paste the resource wherever. This is also the case with another free Bible software installer using "NSIS". The "NSIS" installer you need to go through one extra step, click one of the folders which holds the resource.

Hi

I understand why you prefer to see what's being installed. I prefer that too.

Thank you!

When the installer has been built with .zip or .rar, you can just change the extension to .zip or .rar and it will work as a normal archive. But that's not the case with the files from BibleSupport.

I wasn't aware of this, forever learning, thanks

Maybe the solution Josh proposed can be implemented.

Regards,

Carlos

Maybe

--------------------

I would like to thank all of you for your help and suggestions. Please know that I was only expressing my desire... along the idea "you have not because you ask not"

Thanks again, your each a BLESSING!
Scribe

#9 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Why not just execute the file and override the installation folder. Change it from the e-sword folder to a test location. Once you do that (at least on my computer), the future exe's downloaded from this site will "remember" the test location until you specify otherwise.

This is what I have been doing. Just need to delete the uninstall files and change location as needed.

BTW - Your doing a great job. Thanks for your commitment.
Scribe

#10 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

I know this thread is gettin' old but I figured I would post anyway.

A great tool for extracing Inno, NSIS etc is Lupo's Universal Extractor, a freeware portable tool that's designed for this very purpose. I tested on 2 files, one from Josh and Module Robot - piece of cake. :)

The tool has been updated recently:
1.6.1 Unofficial Revision 4 (31-08-2011):

Updated 7-Zip to 9.22 beta
  Updated InnoUnp to 0.36
  Updated lzop to 1.03
There seems to be a stock error message stating some files couldn't be extracted, doesn't seem to miss the important files. The tool was developed to help create portable applications, some of the unneeded files, uninstaller, *.bin etc may be the files not extracted.

Anyway, it's always worked for me and it did with 2 files from BibleSupport :)
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users