Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Peshiita

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobby

bobby

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

When I open my syriac new testament, I get this

Luk 3:1 B$NT XM$(SR) DYN DMLKWTH D+YBRYWS QSR BHGMNWT) DPN+YWS PYL+WS BYHWD KD R$) RBY(Y) HRWDS BGLYL) WPYLYPWS )XWHY R$) RBY(Y) B)Y+WRY) WB)TR) D+RKWN) WLWSNY) R$) RBY(Y) D)BYLYN)

What do I need? My font choice is Georgia 12. For arabic it is tytus cyberbit

Stay Blessed, Glad you are back.

#2 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

Luk 3:1 B$NT XM$(SR) DYN DMLKWTH D+YBRYWS QSR BHGMNWT) DPN+YWS PYL+WS BYHWD KD R$) RBY(Y) HRWDS BGLYL) WPYLYPWS )XWHY R$) RBY(Y) B)Y+WRY) WB)TR) D+RKWN) WLWSNY) R$) RBY(Y) D)BYLYN)

What do I need? My font choice is Georgia 12. For arabic it is tytus cyberbit

Stay Blessed, Glad you are back.

There could be some information in the "information" window that might be helpful.

1. Go to main menu bar
2. Click on "Bible" and or "Dictionary"
3. Click on "Information"

A dialog box should open and hopefully give specific help or direction. This of course will be true if the creator put that info in this area.

You may need the Aramaic dictionary.dctx to go along with the module you are using to understand the Bible module.

Here is the information from the Aramaic dictionary:

An Aramaic English Lexicon
of the Peshitta

Based on Dr. George Anton Kiraz's excellent SEDRA 3.

Compiled and formatted for e-Sword by Robert Hommel 2006. Designed as a companion dictionary for the Peshitta-T module.

The lexical entries are coded according to the Michigan-Claremont transliteration scheme. To find the meaning of a word in the Peshitta-T module, try double-clicking it. The current version of e-Sword does not always recognize words containing (, ), $, or +, so you will have to key those manually into the dictionary entry field.

Syriac Coding

aleph )
beth B
gimel G
daleth D
heh H
waw W
zayin Z
kheth X
teth +
yudh Y
kaph K
lamedh L
mem M
nun N
samekh S
ayin (
peh P
tsade C
qoph Q
resh R
shin $
taw T

The Vocalization and Root entries use the Kiraz SEDRA transliteration scheme. Upper case is for consonants, lower case for vowels. Most of these are obvious, but the following may not be so. Alaph is A, Ain is E, Kheth is X, Teth is J, Sadhe isC, Shin is $. Qushshaya is ' and Rukkaka is, while the silent sign is _ .

Scribe

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

One reason I don't like most of the current Peshitta resources for e-Sword, is that they are transliterated from Aramaic. That transliteration gets in the way of learning to read and write Aramaic, which is the whole point of using those versions.

jonathon

#4 bobby

bobby

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Thanks gentlemen. I just decided to un-install them. Had the same problem with the dictionary.

Stay Blessed :)

#5 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thanks gentlemen. I just decided to un-install them. Had the same problem with the dictionary.

Stay Blessed :)

Hi Bobby

I think you were using the transliterated version.

There's another module that is not transliterated, but uses Syriac script.

Regards,

Carlos

#6 Danny Jackson

Danny Jackson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think someone needs to come up with a better transliteration that would use (i.e. the end apostrophe) for the the Aleph and (i.e. the beginning apostrophe) for the Ayin. The Shin can be represented by Sh and sh and the Samekh can be represented by Ṣ and ṣ (i.e. S with a dot under it) or C and C. The Tsade can be Ts or ts and the Cheyth can be represented by Ch or ch. Teyth can be represented by Ṭ and ṭ (i.e. T with a dot under it). There are other symbols that can be used but I think this would be the simplest way to transliterate it (simplest to learn that is).

#7 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

this conversation is all Greek to me...

#8 Danny Jackson

Danny Jackson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Actually, it's Aramaic. :P

#9 Danny Jackson

Danny Jackson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

What I am basically saying is instead of using ")" for the letter Aleph, use the " " and instead of using "(" for the letter Ayin, use the " ". The Shin can be represented by Sh and sh (instead of the $) and the Samekh can be represented by Ṣ and ṣ (i.e. S with a dot under it) or C and c. The Tsade can be Ts or ts (instead of just S) and the Cheyth can be represented by Ch or ch (instead of X). Teyth can be represented by Ṭ and ṭ instead of the " + ". That's how Strong's Dictionary and other Hebrew dictionaries transliterate Hebrew and Aramaic, so I figured that should make it easier to read.

Edited by Danny Jackson, 24 January 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Danny Jackson

Danny Jackson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

So instead of John 3:16 reading: "HKN) GYR )XB )LH) L(LM) )YKN) DLBRH YXYDY) NTL DKL MN DMHYMN BH L) N)BD )L) NHWWN LH XY) DL(LM" it would probably read: "Hok'ano’ g'eyr ’acheb, ’Aloho’ l‛olmo ’ayk'ano’ d'lab,reh yichiyd,oyo’ net'el d'k,ul man d'amhaymen b'eh lo nib,ad, elo nehwuwn leh choye d'alolam."

Edited by Danny Jackson, 24 January 2012 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users