Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Open EswordX topics with ToolTip Tool NT

12 replies to this topic

#1 SH Johns

SH Johns

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

POPULAR

Is it possible to open a TOPIC.TOPI file in ToolTip Tool NT?

I have converted from PC to MAC.  It was easy to convert  my TOPX file to TOPI to use in EswordX.

But now want to export all my topics I have created in eswordx  to a single file that i can print.  (RTF/PDF/WORD/PAGES)

I know I can copy and paste one at a time, but if you have a lot of topics it can be very time consuming.

ToolTip will open the study.noti without an issue.

When attempting to open the topic.topi  I get an error.  (tx4ole24.   Unexpected Text Control error.   (1-1d09). )

I also attempted to read the two files in DB Browser for SQLite.  The .noti data shows as text but the .topi shows as BLOB

I converted my PC into VMware to run on my MAC.  Thats how I'm using ToolTip NT.

The topic file on the pc is .topx and it opens perfect.  This is how I always exported my work before I switched to MAC.

So to change my question.  What is the easiest way to export your topics from EswordX?

thanks

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

Is it possible to open a TOPIC.TOPI file in ToolTip Tool NT?

I have converted from PC to MAC.  It was easy to convert  my TOPX file to TOPI to use in EswordX.

But now want to export all my topics I have created in eswordx  to a single file that i can print.  (RTF/PDF/WORD/PAGES)

I know I can copy and paste one at a time, but if you have a lot of topics it can be very time consuming.

ToolTip will open the study.noti without an issue.

When attempting to open the topic.topi  I get an error.  (tx4ole24.   Unexpected Text Control error.   (1-1d09). )

I also attempted to read the two files in DB Browser for SQLite.  The .noti data shows as text but the .topi shows as BLOB

I converted my PC into VMware to run on my MAC.  Thats how I'm using ToolTip NT.

The topic file on the pc is .topx and it opens perfect.  This is how I always exported my work before I switched to MAC.

So to change my question.  What is the easiest way to export your topics from EswordX?

thanks

Yes you can open .topi files in e-Sword Tooltip by clicking Modules HD from the Tooltip Menu along the top of Tooltip.

Clicking the Modules HD option on the menu will open a drop down menu, there is a list of read module options near the bottom of the list, one of the option is "Read TOPI Module" 

Based on what you posted about the contents of the module it maybe corrupt or damaged, try and see if it will install into e-Sword to see if it actually works

#3 SH Johns

SH Johns

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

Yes the topic.topi file works in EswordX.

I copied the file from my Library>Containers>net.e-sword-X>Data>Documents>topic.topi.

I then pasted it onto my MAC desktop then moved it into my VMware where ToolTip NT is running but it won't open.

My file being corrupted or damaged is an even more urgent reason to get the data exported.

Im going to try move the file from the directory to see if Esword-X recreates it.  If it does I will create a few test topics and see if I can move them to my VMware and open them.

I'll let you know.

#4 SH Johns

SH Johns

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

I moved the original topic.topi form the folder.  Started E-Sword-X and it recreated the file.

I made two test topic named test1 and test2.  I moved them back to my VM and opened with Tooltip.

I didn't receive an error this time, however the file is still unreadable. 

See attachment

Attached Files

#5 SH Johns

SH Johns

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

Updating this post to include my version numbers and a few updates.

On MAC;

e-sword-x version 6.3 (24)

On VMware PC;

e-Sword version 12.0.1

e-Sword Tooltip NT version 2019.0819

My PC software was out of date.  I just updated from e-sword 11.1.0.

I don't know what version my tooltip was but I upgraded it also.

It stills fails when I attempt to open the topic.topi with Tooltip NT.

I think it has something to do with how the information is being written into the topic.topi.

I attached two pdf screenshots of what the topic.topi looks like in DB Browser for SQLite.

This first shows my two test entries showing as BLOBs and the default new topic entry showing as HTML text.

The second shows when I added text to the default new topic entry using e-sword-x.  Now its a BLOB also.

I added one more, number 3, showing what a topic.topx from the VMware PC looks like.  

This has no errors and you can read the text in the database browser.

It appears something is happening when e-sword-x is writing to the topic.topi file

And just to add more confusion, I decided to include a screenshot of the original study.noti to show where I said it opened with no problem.

Imagine my surprise when the study.noti I mentioned before still worked.  Its named DB_VS_TOOLTIP_original.

But the study.noti I allowed e-sword to re-create would not open.  see attachment named DB_VS_TOOLTIP_new.

I tooltiped out for today.  Maybe tonight or tomorrow I will delete e-sword-x from my Mac and do a fresh install.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for listening.

Attached Files

#6 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

Those entries with BLOB are locked(with inscription) modules. Don't use the official e-Sword downloads to test because they are all locked.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#7 SH Johns

SH Johns

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Im using a bible module that I created with ToolTip NT.

Its possible I created it with encryption that only applies to the MAC version of e-sword.

But my issue is not with the Bible module but with the topic file.

Im thinking that e-sword-x makes its topic files and study notes encrypted.

I only say this because the default entry in the topic.topi that explains how to make your own is not encrypted.

But if I create my own or even change the content of the default file, then it becomes encrypted.

Also I uninstalled and reinstalled e-sword-x this morning.

Created two test topics and they still can't be opened in ToolTip NT.

DB Browser for SQLITE still shows the topics as BLOB's.

I attached the topic.topi I just created. If anyone can open it in Tooltip NT please let me know.

If it works somewhere else then it could be an issue with windows on VM vs windows on PC hardware.

I'll keep looking.  Seems that I may be the only one with this issue.  

Note:  File upload restrictions won't let me upload the topic.topi. 

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Im using a bible module that I created with ToolTip NT.

Its possible I created it with encryption that only applies to the MAC version of e-sword.

But my issue is not with the Bible module but with the topic file.

Im thinking that e-sword-x makes its topic files and study notes encrypted.

I only say this because the default entry in the topic.topi that explains how to make your own is not encrypted.

But if I create my own or even change the content of the default file, then it becomes encrypted.

Also I uninstalled and reinstalled e-sword-x this morning.

Created two test topics and they still can't be opened in ToolTip NT.

DB Browser for SQLITE still shows the topics as BLOB's.

I attached the topic.topi I just created. If anyone can open it in Tooltip NT please let me know.

If it works somewhere else then it could be an issue with windows on VM vs windows on PC hardware.

I'll keep looking.  Seems that I may be the only one with this issue.  

Topic.topi is one of the files that is part of e-Sword's system files you should not need to access it or create a new one. The topic.topi file is the file that saves information in the e-Sword topic's editor. 

When creating a topic or reference module for use with Apple/Mac devices in Tooltip NT the following steps must be followed:

After opening Tooltip, select Modules HD from the menu across the top of Tooltip, this will open a drop down menu.

From the drop down menu select "Module Define Variables" this will open a small sub menu that has six options labeled as follows:

HTML Reference Module
HTML Bible Module

HTML Commentary Module

HTML Dictionary Module

HTML Bible Reading Module

HTML Devotional Module

Select the first option HTML Reference Module, this will set the parameters for this type of module into Tooltip. These parameters will display as a list in the Tooltip editor window with a red mark at the bottom of list.

At this point you can add information you require starting below the red mark 

Once you have your document complete select Modules HD again from the menu at the top of Tooltip.
From the Modules HD menu select "Save Reference Module" and a small window will open allowing you to save your document.
Your module will be saved using the "refi" module format which is the reference module format for Apple/Mac Devices. 

If you need to make changes to your reference module do the following:

Select "Modules HD" from the Tootip Menu.
From the "Modules HD" drop down menu select "Read REFI Module" this will reopen your reference module into Tooltip 

Make any changes or edits you might need to make and repeat the steps for saving the reference modules from above

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

zip the file first, then it should upload.

#10 SH Johns

SH Johns

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

I understand all above.

This is the process I used to originally move my e-sword editor topic notes to e-sword-x.

The data from the .refi file I created many months ago has been placed into the editor for e-sword-x.

Im not using ToolTipNT to creating topic, study or journal notes to use in esword-x.

These are topics I have created in the e-sword-x editor.  

Im looking for a way to export all the esword-x topics into a file that I can use with a word processor. (RTF/PDF/WORD/PAGES)

If I was using the PC version I would just open TooTip NT and go to Modules/Topics/Read TOPX File.

​Then navigate to the location of the topic.topx and ToolTip NT would open it without issue.  

I would be able to see all my topics in the file and edit them and save by going to Modules/Topics/Save TOPX File.

This works flawlessly every time.  (At least the hundreds of times i did it before converting to MAC.

From the MAC with esword-x, I would copy my modules I want to edit to my windows VM.

I open this files with ToolTip NT by going into ModulesHD menu and selecting the desired file I want to edit.

Read REFI Module

Read BBLI Module

Read CMTI Module

Read DCTI Module

Read TOPI Module

Read NOTI Module

I have used the study.noti from MAC to PC many times.  This stopped working in the last few months.

The BBLI once its imported into esword-x, the file goes.....................................(somewhere)................

So I keep the original RTF file I used to create them in ToolTip NT.  So I just edit this and create a new BBLI.

The TOPIC.topi, I can read in ToolTipNT as long as I don't edit it in esword-x.

So, not to get too caught up with ToolTip NT.  This is just what used on the PC.

Is there a way to export the topics created in editor for esword-x?

Other than selecting one topic at a time and copying and pasting the data into a word processor.

Lastly; I pulled out an old PC  and tried to open the file on it.  It still failed.

So PC hardware or VM doesn't matter.  I attached the file alway.

I will set my mind to start copying the data, one topic at a time.

I'll  probably have grey hair before I'm done.  .............(too late)............

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users