Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Resource Installation via CrossOver Linux

CrossOver Linux

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMountain Lake Park, Maryland, USA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

POPULAR

This is follow-up to discussion started with the topic "General Newbie Orientation." Years ago I switched my personal use (church-owned) laptop from Windows to Linux Mint. Although Linux & Mac do have Bible software, many still want Windows programs. I run e-Sword via CrossOver Linux.

First, go to https://www.codeweav...ossover/e-sword

to see how to install e-Sword.  Be advised that as of this writing ver. 13 does not work with CrossOver (or Wine).  The latest that works is ver. 12.2.  The FAQ's at e-sword.net indicate this.

Regarding downloads from biblesupport.com, in "General Newbie Orientation" Josh Bond indicated that the different types of downloads were treated basically 1 of 2 ways:
a) .exe's get installed directly; B) pretty much all the rest go in one's e-Sword folder (see "General Newbie Orientation" for specifics).

I'm going to break that down for CrossOver Linux users, assuming you have already installed e-Sword.  The way to install downloads from biblesupport.com into CrossOver Linux e-Sword has greatly changed from what it was in the past.  The instructions below relate to CrossOver ver. 21.  I hope that the way it works in Linux Mint will give a good enough idea if someone has a different distro. I'm not sure if some of the concepts will translate for CrossOver Mac, or Wine, etc. users.

1) Dealing with .exe files.

• Open CrossOver. (For me, I click the Linux Mint "Menu" on the panel/taskbar; put the arrow on "CrossOver" under "All Applications" & then click "CrossOver" on the flyout menu.)
  • Once the CrossOver window is open, on the left under "Bottles" you should see e-Sword. Make sure that bottle is selected. Below the bottles look for the gear icon & click it. That will bring up a fly-out menu.
  • From that menu choose "Install Software into Bottle."
  • The window that opens has 4 tabs at the top:

a) The first tab is "Select Application." At the bottom of that window choose "Browse Available Applications."  Double-click 'Unlisted Application."
    b ) The second tab at the top "Select Installer" is now highlighted. Select 'Choose Installer File.' The window that pops open is for you to go to the directory wherever you downloaded the biblesupport.com .exe file so that you can choose that file. (Mine was in a folder I created called "e-Sword" within my "Downloads" folder.) Upon choosing, your .exe file should now be highlighted back in the CrossOver Software Installer window.  Click "Continue" at the bottom right.
    c) The window should now jump to the "Install & Finish" tab.  Click "Install" at the bottom right again.
  • Follow any instructions the install process puts up, open e-Sword & you should see your new resource in place!

2) Dealing with .zip files.

• Extract the zip file using your favorite method, being careful to note where the unzipped file(s) will go. (A right click on the .zip for me brings up a short menu, including "Open with Archive Manager.") Create a new folder, if it's a help.
  • Once unzipped, open CrossOver and select the e-Sword bottle, as detailed above. Below the bottles look for the gear icon & click it. That will bring up a fly-out menu.
  • From that menu choose "Open C: Drive." Click it.
  • When the new window opens, open the "Program Files" folder, and then the "e-Sword" folder. Then use your favorite method to copy or cut the unzipped file(s), pasting it/them into that "e-Sword" folder.
  • Open e-Sword & you should see your new resource in place!

3) Dealing with raw e-Sword resource files (.bblx, .topx, .cmtx, .dctx, etc.)

• Open CrossOver and select the e-Sword bottle, as detailed above. Below the bottles look for the gear icon & click it. That will bring up a fly-out menu.
  • From that menu choose "Open C: Drive." Click it.
  • When the new window opens, open the "Program Files" folder, and then the "e-Sword" folder. Then use your favorite method to copy or cut the file(s), pasting it/them into that "e-Sword" folder.
  • Open e-Sword & you should see your new resource in place!

E-Sword is a great and growing program. I hope this helps some in the Linux world to take advantage of it fairly easily.

Edited by Jeff Kroll, 18 August 2021 - 09:14 AM.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Very nice. I reformatted your text slightly for bold and bullets. Changed the title to include "resource installation". And moved to the Tutorials so this will stand out permanently.

#3 HisDisciple

HisDisciple

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

Just curious if anyone has detailed instructions like this for us Mac users. I'm test driving the Crossover program with e-Sword, but (first) it only linked version 9.9.1. Thanks in advance...
Phillip Williams
<>< Psalm 119:144b ><>

#4 Rik Wadge

Rik Wadge

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Excellent article! I've been running E-Sword in Crossover Office on my Linux boxes for some time now and love the experience!

#5 colliny

colliny

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hello, I'm using a Mac and followed the below instructions which was easy to follow, however I'm unable to locate any of the resource/modules when I open Esword. I've looked in Resource LIbrary and Step Reader without any luck.

Help!!

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:50 AM

Do you see any resources when you look at the resource options dialog? Main menu->Options->Resource...
Is the location of your resource correct. You can point to them with this dialog.

#7 Judith Ann

Judith Ann

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

I managed to get E-sword on Ubuntu with Wine. I did not need crossover. http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1524397

#8 muthoni

muthoni

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

how does one get the Mac installer for e-sword? Is there an easier way to just download this bibles? This process you have is so convoluted, one just basically quits!

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

how does one get the Mac installer for e-sword? Is there an easier way to just download this bibles? This process you have is so convoluted, one just basically quits!

Installing modules with the e-Sword Module Installer on a Mac:
http://www.biblesupport.com/topic/3763-how-to-install-modules-with-esword-for-mac/page__view__findpost__p__14023

#10 jonescomputer

jonescomputer

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

I'm using e-sword with crossover on my mac, 3 months now, no problem till this week, some of the mods will go through the process of installing but never show up in e-sword, I have checked resources, but there not in there. any help? one of the mods is Charles Simeon's and 3000 sermons.

Thanks

Edited by jonescomputer, 17 March 2014 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users