Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

"Compound" AND / OR search in Commentary & Dictionary

12 replies to this topic

#11 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

With this found I five verses in the KJV and ESV (instead of 4 and 3).

Abraham\b[^?]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b

Many thanks to Katoog for this post.  (And many thanks to JPG for his extensive assistance in private messages).

As JPG knows, I complained with some of our other formulations that I *was* getting hits in the search results, *but* there was no highlighting in those hits.  But in Katoog's post above, I now get *both* the hits I'm wanting, *and* the highlighting of the results.

Many thanks to both of you!

#12 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

Edited by Toma, 27 May 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#13 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Although the [^?] works, it has a problem. It will not find the r17 if it encounters a ? first. So you will not get a match in such cases.

If you were searching in the Bible it would be better to use [^\n] so it would only fail at a newline.

For other resources if you need to span the whole topic .+ would normally be the way to go, but it appears that e-Sword fails to do markup for some reason. (Other programs work ok.) So you need to guess what character is least likely to be found in the underlying text markup. Perhaps something like using Abraham\b[^Ꜣ]+?\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b        (The Ꜣ is some Egyptological Alef, that I doubt would be there)

Oh I see you have deleted your post while I have been thinking about this.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users