Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Tooltip tool Help Files

T3 Tooltip

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:59 AM

Hi, BH.
I see the help files for making modules and I am fine with the basics. I would appreciate some guidance on all the menu items that the function is not so obvious to a first-time user, especially "Trace", "David's Fix", "Double Pass".
Thanks
Jon

Edited by JPG, 13 October 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

Trace is a debug tool. It has no purpose for general use. I put that in for a person who was having an issue of the program failing, and was able to identify the problem from the trace log generated this this tool.

David's Fix - this was put in for Dr. Dave T I do believe, and to tell you the truth, off the top of my head I can't tell you exactly what this does any more, but I suspect he might still remember... I suppose I can look at the code. ... OK - I looked - it has to do with changing text such as Ch. 1:3, to Gen 1:3, if the you are working in Genesis. DDT - if you read this, any comments?

Double Pass - when Tooltip Tool was first written, it would identify scripture references and create tooltips. Since the source of reference was one string, the result was that the entire string had the same formatting. So if you have the following reference, "Genesis 2:1-2; 3:15", it would get tooltipped like this: "Gen_2:1-2; Gen_3:15". Well, some did not like that fact that the entire string was green and underlined. What to do? Then it dawned on my, AH - if I turn off all formatting, do the first pass as normal through the text, then turn formatting back on, and do a second pass using the exact same code, no other changes, the result would look like this: "Gen_2:1-2; Gen_3:15". It takes more that twice as long to tooltip a document, but the result looked better. So "Double Pass" became the default. I just left the switch in. For some projects, perhaps single pass would work fine, but most of the time, double pass is more desirable.

Arithmetic progression - this combines sequences of verses into a single tooltip. "Hebrews 1:1,2,3" becomes "Heb_1:1-3". The the switch is really for T3's version 2 formatter, so perhaps I should move the menu option down the list to clarify this. With version 3 of the formatter, this option is on by default. What is the difference? here are some examples, using "Hebrews 1:1,2,3"
Version 2, Arithmetic progression turned off: "Heb_1:1; Heb_1:2; Heb_1:3"
Version 2, Arithmetic Progression turned on: "Heb_1:1-3"
Version 3, "Heb_1:1-3"

So what is the difference between version 2 and 3 of the tooltip formatter? Version 3 will do chapter tooltips. Say you have the scripture reference, "Hebrews 1". Which implies the whole chapter. Version 2 will not tool tip this reference. Version 3 will. and do this way: "Heb_1:1-14".

There are other options, such as the book/chapter reference. Some sources have at the end of each paragraph, a reference. {ST 43.2} where "ST" is the name of the book, 'Steps to Christ" for this example, 43 is the page number of the original, and .2 is the second paragraph on that page. These have special handling and can be colored or removed, what ever one desires.

Tooltip Tool was written for my use, in my projects. I have more tools in it which I have not exposed, mostly because it would take too long to describe the special circumstances in which they work, and I don't what to have to explain all the little details. I have added some tools for specific people, such as "Dave's Fix" and the {book page.paragraph} options. People can negatively rate the program by clicking the little down arrow all they want, and it will not hurt my feelings one bit. I'm not in competition with anybody, and I'm not out to win any popularity contest. The documentation is incomplete, and quite frankly, documentation is hard, time consuming, and not exciting. I offer the program for others to use if it works for their use. Yeah, I've put a lot of time into the program, but I have my goals and the program has worked for those goals. The program is not perfect. I offer it freely to others, and will help as I can to make it useful to others. And who knows, perhaps a future version of e-Sword will make this program obsolete.

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

Thank you for taking the time to explain some of those items, it has clarified the function, enough for me to use it.
I appreciate that you have achieved your goals.etc.
Jon

#4 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

"David's Fix" was for me. Thank You, Brent!

Some commentary modules abbreviate their comments. Obviously, when they wrote a commentary on Genesis, they didn't need to keep writing out "Genesis." Sometimes they would just use the abbreviation "Ch" - like this - "Ch 12:3."

When a block of text is highlighted, the first paragraph becomes the default text; thereafter, the default text is placed in front of every nebulous reference (like "Ch 1.17"). It's very useful for working in a commentary section; but this tool must be used with great discretion (and afterwards careful proofreading). Many authors are inconsistent in their usage of "Ch 1.3". In one paragraph it might refer to Eph 3; but in another paragraph, it might refer to Rom 6.

So, it's very useful; but the user must understand what it does, and be careful with it.

EXAMPLE

If you start with this:

Gen
ch 1:1.
ch 1:2.
ch 50:3.

highlight it all, then run "David's Fix," it will come out like this:

Gen
ch Gen 1:1.
ch Gen 1:2.
ch Gen 50:3.

which can now be tooltipped. If you have a paragraph, chapter, or entire book, it will do the same thing. So obviously, you've got to use great care with this tool. But it is a time saver, if used correctly.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yeah DDT - that's it! :-)

Actually, I think it also works like this:

Gen
1:1.
1:2. 4:4 5:5 6:6
50:3.

Select all the text above, with Gen first, then click "Dave's Fix" and you get:

Gen
Gen 1:1.
Gen 1:2. Gen 4:4 Gen 5:5 Gen 6:6
Gen 50:3.

:-)

I have a more sophisticated tool that also looks with in paragraphs. A writer may be talking about one Book, then in mid paragraph change books, then reference verses in the new book. in Genesis 2 bla bla bla, but in Exodus 20 you find bla bla bla and vs 8 bla bla bla. The tool sees the reference to Exodus 20 and changes the vs 8 to Exo 20:8. The commentary may be on Genesis 2, but there was a change of reference with in the paragraph. This was for a very specific set of works spanning 55+ mb. To edit each one by hand would have been painful. And no, that one is not an open tool, it is just too hard to explain, and it is within a special function and required special source files, in this case, one file per Bible chapter.

BH.

p.s., DDT = Digital bug DeTector.

#6 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

Brent if anyone is downing tooltiptool (T3) it is most likely they have not come to know its capabilities and its potential

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#7 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

BH,
Is there a way in the latest version of tool tip to unlock the feature that will handle cross chapter references or do I have to go back to an earlier version of tool tip?
Thanks

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:52 AM

BH,
Is there a way in the latest version of tool tip to unlock the feature that will handle cross chapter references or do I have to go back to an earlier version of tool tip?
Thanks

I'm assuming this is with CMTX files. Yes, you can enable this. The switch is hidden. To get to it, press, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S. Look for the "CmtxMultiRef" key and double click on it. Change the "0" to "1" and click OK. It should now be enabled. You can then close the "Settings" wWin

#9 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi BH,

I am working on the Bridgeway Bible Commentary. I am trying a test every so often just to make sure it is working. I am through Psalms in tool tip and I have activated the multiple refs feature. I am getting some errors. Could you take a look at the attached file for me when you have time and let me know what I am doing wrong? I am fairly new to tool tip so I ask a lot of dumb questions, but I am loving it. It is probably a stupid mistake.

This is copyrighted but I have permission to create and distribute for e sword, theWord, and MySword.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Attached Files

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi BH,

I am working on the Bridgeway Bible Commentary. I am trying a test every so often just to make sure it is working. I am through Psalms in tool tip and I have activated the multiple refs feature. I am getting some errors. Could you take a look at the attached file for me when you have time and let me know what I am doing wrong? I am fairly new to tool tip so I ask a lot of dumb questions, but I am loving it. It is probably a stupid mistake.

This is copyrighted but I have permission to create and distribute for e sword, theWord, and MySword.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

In your file, you have "DEUTERONOMY 29:1:1-30:20". This is an invalid verse specification. I will look at improving the error reporting when such errors are trapped.

That said, there is something you can do, and that to first, save your work. Then, run the e-Sword ToolTip Tool (T3) tooltipping routine on your file. After it runs, select the Verses menu, and "Show Bad References". The lower pane will show the bad references, or at least what T3 thinks are bad. On your file, it showed this:
Genesis 39:1-1-41:57 81733 20 0
Numbers 22:1-36-24:25 286573 21 0
Deuteronomy 29:1:1-30:20 345042 24 0
1 Chronicles 16:37-27 640863 21 0
1 Chronicles 36:22-23 670094 21 0
Judges 4:1-5:31, 6:1-8:28 884043 25 0

Now, if you double click on one of these references, T3 will just to that reference. If you make edits, subsequent jumps may not be exactly on, but it will probably be close. Or, if you start with the last first, and work up the list, the the double-click jumps will be right on.

Looking at your data, I think you can see why some references were flagged as bad.

Genesis 39:1-1-41:57. The means ???

Same with Numbers 22:1...

The Deuteronomy 29:1:1-30:20 appears which is the one that triggered the error. This is because it was marked with a division mark and calculations needed to be performed on this reference, but it was invalid.

1 Chronicles 16:37-27 - hm, working backwards? An occult reference? :-)

1 Chronicles 36:22-23 - There is no 1 Chronicles 36. Perhaps this is a reference to 2 Chronicles?

Judges 4:1-5:31, 6:1-8:29, OK T3 is picky with this one, but change the comma to a semi-colon and it works. Judges 4:1-5:31; 6:1-8:29

Edited by BH., 26 September 2011 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users