Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bible module creation newbie question/problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JD4x4

JD4x4

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

I've been trying to create "bible" modules from the various Books of Enoch in order to compare versions/transcriptions, and possibly enhance them with Strongs and/or other references.

My reason for using Bible module format is mainly because that is the only e-Sword format (afaik) which allows for side by side text comparison which is synchronized by Book/Chapter/Verse.

I believe that I'm finding that Book, Chapter, Verse designations are limited to the canonical B/C/V's plus a fixed set of Apocrypha B/C/V's. Is this correct?  Or do I not understand the general use of ToolTip NT or the markup language of e-Sword bible modules? (Both likely since I'm a newbie!)

I understand that Bible Modules should have an expected level of integrity and security, but unfortunately I see no other way to compare texts synchronized and side by side. And if this is not possible does anyone know of other software which can do this?

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

You understand correctly that e-Swor4 supports a set list of canonical books.  For your project, I'd suggest making it a Topic Notes file, with links to the canonical books which would be viewed in the Bible view. 

#3 JD4x4

JD4x4

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

You understand correctly that e-Swor4 supports a set list of canonical books.  For your project, I'd suggest making it a Topic Notes file, with links to the canonical books which would be viewed in the Bible view. 

Thank you for your quick reply.
Sadly, my main interest was to be able to compare two or more differing texts.

I suppose there is no way to change the Canon or Apocrypha lists in e- Sword. Very unfortunate. To your knowledge has anyone suggested a comparison view capability for the Reference Library?

Edited by JD4x4, 12 February 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

I suppose there is no way to change the Canon or Apocrypha lists in e- Sword. Very unfortunate. To your knowledge has anyone suggested a comparison view capability for the Reference Library?

As was stated above a topic file is the best option.

One of the things you can have in a topic files that you cannot include in bible modules are tables that can be used for the purpose of comparing different text and or data. Tables can be customized in terms of number and size of columns and rows depending on your needs. 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 12 February 2019 - 01:52 PM.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

As was stated above a topic file is the best option.

One of the things you can have in a topic files that you cannot include in bible modules are tables that can be used for the purpose of comparing different text and or data. Tables can be customized in terms of number and size of columns and rows depending on your needs. 

Of what Mr Higgins said, I totally concur. Moreover, by doing what he and BH shared, the scope for what you want to achieve is really broadened and not limited any particular canonical order. This mean that you have the freedom to lay out an order that suites the method you want to use.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 JD4x4

JD4x4

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

Thanks to both of you for your well considered suggestions.
I'll likely go a different route altogether for comparisons, as it now seems be just as easy (easier?) to do comparisons in either a spreadsheet or by other (ePUB/Calibre or Notepad++?) means.

I rather liked the ability to compare actual translations/verses side by side & synchronized while in e-Sword and at the same time following my usually fickle threads of thought about a particular subject.  :P  But such is life.

Should I decide on a book that I want to pursue/keep as reference then I'll probably create it as a topic or more likely an annotated reference book. 

#7 John Eastham

John Eastham

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:04 AM

Newbie with commentary problems.

The test commentary file went well.  The commentary displayed perfectly (i.e. Genesis 1:1-8, Genesis 1:9-31, Matthew 1, Matthew 2, etc.).

Then I expanded the commentary file to include additional chapters (Genesis 2, 3, etc.).

All that new commentary text is not showing in eSword, and I'm at a total loss to find the problem.

I must be missing something basic.  Any advice for this commentary newbie?

Here is a commentary sample from text.  I'll be happy to share the RTF or CMTX files to help diagnose the problem.

÷÷÷Genesis

÷Genesis 1:1-8

Genèse Chapitre 1

En hébreux le mot Genèse signifie “commencement”....

÷Genesis 1:9-31

Le troisième jour,... Mais ça vaut la peine de le répéter: Jésus revient bientôt.

÷Genesis 2

Genèse Chapitre 2

Ainsi furent achevés le ciel, la terre et toute leur armée.

÷Genesis 3

Genèse Chapitre 3

Le serpent était....

Edited by John Eastham, 11 March 2019 - 01:19 AM.

#8 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:13 AM

I haven't created a commentary but perhaps you need a verse range for Genesis 2?

#9 John Eastham

John Eastham

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:24 AM

I tired that, and it didn't help.

I also have Matthew chapters 1-7 commentary formatted by chapter (not a verse range).

#10 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:11 AM

I made your above sample into a commentary and it works.

Could it be the case that you made the second module and it has the same abbreviation as the previous one but you have two different file names. Only the original will show as a tab... hence the issue. So perhaps you should move the previous module to be sure, it my assumption is correct.

Or if this is not the case, post links to your module source and built modules so one of us can take a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users