Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Converting Thayer's Unabridged

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

I've tried converting the eSword Thayer's Unabridged.DCTX with Best Premium to be used with Pocket eSword, but Pocket eSword won't recognise it. Any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong, please?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

I've tried converting the eSword Thayer's Unabridged.DCTX with Best Premium to be used with Pocket eSword, but Pocket eSword won't recognise it. Any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong, please?

Yes, you're trying to get an SQLite database resource to work in a program that  only reads resources created in MS Access database system. The both are totally incompatible.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 BumbleBee

BumbleBee

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Yes, you're trying to get an SQLite database resource to work in a program that only reads resources created in MS Access database system. The both are totally incompatible.

Thanks for your help here.

So, what will help convert this, as I thought BP would handle this conversion.

(I'm BigPaw too, created another account when I thought I'd forgotten my password for my BigPaw account, and for some reason I've logged in with that account when replying to your message.)

Edited by BumbleBee, 01 February 2019 - 01:17 PM.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

(I'm BigPaw too, created another account when I thought I'd forgotten my password for my BigPaw account, and for some reason I've logged in with that account when replying to your message.)

As far as I can recall, I don't think there is a conversion tool available to do what you want it to do. Could be wrong, but I hope not.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

You should try a program called Simple Bible Reader it can convert modules from a number of different bible software packages for use with other packages. It should easily convert Thayer's Unabridged.DCTX to the DCT format for use with Pocket e-Sword. 

You can download Simple Bible Reader from this site:

https://trumpet-call...e-bible-reader/

#6 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2020 - 02:52 AM

You should try a program called Simple Bible Reader it can convert modules from a number of different bible software packages for use with other packages. It should easily convert Thayer's Unabridged.DCTX to the DCT format for use with Pocket e-Sword. 
You can download Simple Bible Reader from this site:https://trumpet-call...e-bible-reader/

Your advice has been extremely helpful, thank you. This app you've suggested won't convert them to Pocket eSword, yet, but it does convert them to Bible Analyser format. The Bible Analyser app for Windows is 100 times faster than eSword.

I'll suggest adding Pocket eSword to the developer of the app you have pointed out. At the moment, Pocket eSword is much faster than eSword on my PC, Laptop, and Tablet, and these systems are all good spec machines. Puzzling! In the meantime I'll start converting my dictionaries and commentaries to Bible Analyser.

Thanks again for your helpful advice.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

Your advice has been extremely helpful, thank you. This app you've suggested won't convert them to Pocket eSword, yet, but it does convert them to Bible Analyser format. The Bible Analyser app for Windows is 100 times faster than eSword.

I'll suggest adding Pocket eSword to the developer of the app you have pointed out. At the moment, Pocket eSword is much faster than eSword on my PC, Laptop, and Tablet, and these systems are all good spec machines. Puzzling! In the meantime I'll start converting my dictionaries and commentaries to Bible Analyser.

Thanks again for your helpful advice.

Just to let you know that Simple Bible Reader is no longer being developed or maintained so there is no way to have it upgraded. What would be great to have is a new tool based on or similar to Simple Bible Reader with more conversion options. Unfortunately I do not have the required programming skills at the moment to create such a tool

#8 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

Just to let you know that Simple Bible Reader is no longer being developed or maintained so there is no way to have it upgraded. What would be great to have is a new tool based on or similar to Simple Bible Reader with more conversion options. Unfortunately I do not have the required programming skills at the moment to create such a tool

That's a shame. Well, hopefully the developers of eSword will update their program soon and give it the oomph it desperately needs.

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

That's a shame. Well, hopefully the developers of eSword will update their program soon and give it the oomph it desperately needs.

I have spent a little time with Simple Bible Reader and I believe it can convert files for use with Pocket e-Sword even though Pocket e-Sword is not one of the listed conversion options. 

Prior to the release of e-Sword version 9 all modules had three letter file extensions such as bbl for bible, cmt for commentaries, dct for dictionaries, top for topic files, map for maps and graphics etc. The last version of e-Sword to use these file format was e-Sword 8 for Windows. 

Looking at the available modules here on bible support for Pocket e-Sword they are in the same format as the files for use with e-Sword 8 and earlier

Simple Bible Reader does have a conversion option for e-Sword 8 which will take an e-Sword 9 dictionary module such as a dictionary module with a dctx file extension and convert it to the e-Sword 8 dct file format. This should allow the module to run on both e-Sword 8 and Pocket e-Sword as both use the dct file format.

As for the speed of e-Sword for Windows, it depends on how many modules one has installed the larger your collection is the slower e-Sword will run. 

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

Depending on the language that the program was written in, and the programming IDE used, a tool called JetBrains dotPeek is able to read the source code in the executable file. So, if the program was written in C#, C++ (I think) and having used Visual Studio IDE platform, then dotPeek will be able to view the code in the program executable file.

dotPeek is basically a decompiler which gives the ability to read the code in the executable file. And its because of that one is able to see how the program works, and also be able to use parts of the code from that program in a program one is creating. Very cheeky indeed  :o  :P  :D Just click here to download the program. And while you're at it, ensure that you read the documentation so you can learn the capabilities of the program.

This is what I like to call, "soft hacking." I think I've got to make a video about this so you can actually see how it works.

Trust that this information is helpful.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 05 May 2020 - 05:15 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users