Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Linking to a resource module from commentary

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rswoods

rswoods

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi,

I am working with some people who are developing a Bible commentary, and we want to get it into e-Sword.  I am mostly there, but I have a question.  We have a set of appendices that have been converted into an e-Sword resource module, and there are several places in the commentary that reference these appendices.  Something like "For more information, see Appendix 4: 'Usages of Soul in the Bible'".  Is there a way to construct a link in the commentary that would make the resource window pop up and load the referenced appendix? Or is there a different way to handle it?

Thanks!

Rob

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

Hi,

I am working with some people who are developing a Bible commentary, and we want to get it into e-Sword.  I am mostly there, but I have a question.  We have a set of appendices that have been converted into an e-Sword resource module, and there are several places in the commentary that reference these appendices.  Something like "For more information, see Appendix 4: 'Usages of Soul in the Bible'".  Is there a way to construct a link in the commentary that would make the resource window pop up and load the referenced appendix? Or is there a different way to handle it?

Thanks!

Rob

If the commentary and appendices are one single document you can create bookmarks and hyperlinks within that document to jump from section to section, e-Sword does not allow for links between separate commentary documents.  However commentary modules can work in conjunction with Dictionary modules so that when a single word is clicked in a commentary such as God for example, a dictionary module will display a definition for God. 

#3 rswoods

rswoods

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

If the commentary and appendices are one single document you can create bookmarks and hyperlinks within that document to jump from section to section, e-Sword does not allow for links between separate commentary documents.  However commentary modules can work in conjunction with Dictionary modules so that when a single word is clicked in a commentary such as God for example, a dictionary module will display a definition for God. 

Thanks for the response, and apologies for my delay in responding.

The commentary and appendices are separate documents.  The commentary is a .cmti file and the appendices are a .refi file. I know that commentaries can link to dictionaries, as your example for Strong's numbers.  My question is can commentaries (.cmti) link to reference documents (.refi), and cause the reference window to open with the appropriate reference doc loaded?

Thanks.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the response, and apologies for my delay in responding.

The commentary and appendices are separate documents.  The commentary is a .cmti file and the appendices are a .refi file. I know that commentaries can link to dictionaries, as your example for Strong's numbers.  My question is can commentaries (.cmti) link to reference documents (.refi), and cause the reference window to open with the appropriate reference doc loaded?

Thanks.

No Commentaries cannot link to reference (refi) documents. As I said before if the commentaries and appendices are single document you can use internal links within the single document. 

#5 rswoods

rswoods

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

No Commentaries cannot link to reference (refi) documents. As I said before if the commentaries and appendices are single document you can use internal links within the single document. 

Thanks!  That's what I needed to know.

#6 djmarko53

djmarko53

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location64093

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Isn't it possible to link to an appendix file and have it open in your browser? If so, would it have to be online only, or can it be on your computer? I was also under the impression that if the appendix is in the same document or commentary, you couldn't li k to it unless it was in the same page or se tion as your commentary.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

Isn't it possible to link to an appendix file and have it open in your browser? If so, would it have to be online only, or can it be on your computer? I was also under the impression that if the appendix is in the same document or commentary, you couldn't li k to it unless it was in the same page or se tion as your commentary.

Yes you can use external links to link to websites 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users