Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with e-Sword version 11.2.2

53 replies to this topic

#31 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:24 AM

The advice I got from Rick Meyers was as follows. Note that there is a different file size now for the  setup1122.exe setup file, so things have changed in the installer. So download again and check the size. The new download worked on one of my problem installs. I did also uninstall via the Control Panel, just to be sure.

Jon,

Since we last emailed one another there have been over 10,000 successful installations and only 8 unsuccessful installations. I view that data as having figured out the dependencies in the setup.  Having said that, make sure you are installing the latest SETUP1122.EXE file.  Its file size should be 57.1MB.

The one common thread with nearly all of the users is that they are not your typical Windows user.  Take yourself, for instance.  E-Sword runs just fine in a regular Windows installation, but not in the virtual machine environments.

Here is a sampling of things that got e-Sword working for these non-typical Windows users:

Running the setup "As Administrator"

Removing e-Sword though Control Panel, then reinstalling it

Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) *AND* (x64) packs

Just keep trying.

If you need 11.1, then you can still get that from here:

https://www.e-sword....s/setup1110.exe

11.1 is perfectly fine.  The only really obvious change with 11.2 is the ability to drag and drop from the different views into the editors.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

Jon

[Edit] p.s I did ok this with Rick

Edited by JPG, 24 November 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#32 Son seeker

Son seeker

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

Jon, thanks for posting Rick's email.

I just installed e-Sword from the "new" download file of version 11.2.2 "as Administrator" and it now starts and runs normally. The installation from the "old" download file failed to start on this PC earlier, so it seems the problem may be solved.

Hope others who were having problems before have the same positive experience as I . . .

Edited by Son seeker, 24 November 2018 - 10:13 AM.

#33 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

Hey Jon,

No wonder why it seems to work on my PC all the time. Default sign-in for me is always as administrator, and not as a user. Amazing!!! Learn something new every day (nearly). :D <<< That's about the cheesiest smile I could muster.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#34 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:36 AM

The four systems I updated were all logged on as Admin but only one updated without any hassle.

The confusing thing is that Rick was changing the installer file but not updating the version number. It was not until he mentioned that I needed the 57.1MB download (different to the 56.1MB one I had originally tried that only correctly updated one computer) that I was able to test updating two others that had failed.

So for me it is still a mystery as to what change made the difference.

All I wanted to publish was the fact that there was a need to get the download again as it had secretly been changed, which is a bit unhelpful to say the least.

Jon

#35 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:53 AM

The four systems I updated were all logged on as Admin but only one updated without any hassle.

The confusing thing is that Rick was changing the installer file but not updating the version number. It was not until he mentioned that I needed the 57.1MB download (different to the 56.1MB one I had originally tried that only correctly updated one computer) that I was able to test updating two others that had failed.

So for me it is still a mystery as to what change made the difference.

All I wanted to publish was the fact that there was a need to get the download again as it had secretly been changed, which is a bit unhelpful to say the least.

Jon

Well mate,

Here's something which will probably add to the mystery. Not only had I successfully installed it successfully on my Desktop machine, but also on my Laptop yesterday using the same installer file which I downloaded for my Desktop a couple of days ago.

X (formerly Twitter)

#36 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:20 AM

As I say to people "the thick plottens". I like a good mystery, but not in software.

#37 Son seeker

Son seeker

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:16 PM

The solution is not as simple as merely installing logged in as Administrator. I installed the "old" installation file on three PCs logged in as Administrator, two of them failed. Even the "new" installation file failed on one PC out of three, even though they were all installed logged in as Administrator. The plot may have thinned out a bit, but it's still a mystery . . .

#38 Ron Long

Ron Long

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

Thank you for the offer. Would you please send it to EarlEMelton@reagan.com please?
   †

Could you send version 11.2.1 to rwlong99@gmail.com please? None of the suggested solutions on this board seems to be working for me.

Thank you

#39 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:12 AM

As I say to people "the thick plottens". I like a good mystery, but not in software.

Hi Jon,

Likewise, bro.

The main thing is this: It works on some, and it don't on others, and the big question, as in the million $$$ question is, what's with the others there is that "missing file tx26_wnd.dll" file bit, where in reality it isn't? What is causing that issue on those others whilst on the "some" side of the proverbial coin there's no problem..

I've ran out of best guesses, so I have no idea. That said, the one thing I can definitely say going on the fact that its only on the some that one gets that dreaded error message popping up, is that its not a problem with e-Sword, but (and that's a huge but as this thought just entered my mind as I was typing this bit out) it could be a problem in Windows Registry where the tx26_wnd.dll is not registering in those machines. This is not just a guess. Call it a gut instinct

Hey Jon, might be an idea if you compared the Registry where you don't have that problem against the Registry where you do have that problem, and see what you come up with. This would be really interesting.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 26 November 2018 - 12:21 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#40 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:23 AM

Stephen,

I have previously supplied Rick some info as per his request, but nothing was jumping out for him....

Jon,

Run a DIFF between the two SYSWOW64 folders.  Also, a diff between installed programs and patches would also be useful.

In His service,

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users