Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

how to combine/ merge documents for Dictionary?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:06 PM

I have 2 documents, briefly, I have strongs numbers in 1st document designated with (example) G1 enclosed with arrows.
2nd document has the strongs numbers G1 ἄλφα Indeclinable letter first letter of the Greek alphabet.
This dictionary topics titles with be actual greek words instead of strong numbers.

What I want to do is replace with 2nd document G1 with description.
How do I accomplish this?

Edited by RevSteve, 07 November 2018 - 03:09 PM.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

I have 2 documents, briefly, I have strongs numbers in 1st document designated with (example) G1 enclosed with arrows.
2nd document has the strongs numbers G1 ἄλφα Indeclinable letter first letter of the Greek alphabet.
This dictionary topics titles with be actual greek words instead of strong numbers.

What I want to do is replace with 2nd document G1 with description.
How do I accomplish this?

When you say documents, what format are they in MS-Word (docx or rtf) format or are they already set up as dictionary modules for use in e-sword?

The E-sword module creation tool called E-Sword Tooltip NT can combine multiple files or modules into single modules. 

#3 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:16 PM

Right now they are rtf, I can make them into any format. I have experience with manipulating single files with regex and have used the macro record in text editors, making bible and dictionary modules. Also, I know how to do simple combine whether text files or modules. I don't have any knowledge on how to merge document "b" into document "a". Any help in this regard will be appreciated. The finished document will have greek words as the titles (subjects) and the content will contain strong numbers with their definitions. I was wondering whether a spreadsheet could do this? I have very little knowledge on how to use spreadsheet editors right now. I only have Libre calc as an editor for that.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:24 PM

Right now they are rtf, I can make them into any format. I have experience with manipulating single files with regex and have used the macro record in text editors, making bible and dictionary modules. Also, I know how to do simple combine whether text files or modules. I don't have any knowledge on how to merge document "b" into document "a". Any help in this regard will be appreciated. The finished document will have greek words as the titles (subjects) and the content will contain strong numbers with their definitions. I was wondering whether a spreadsheet could do this? I have very little knowledge on how to use spreadsheet editors right now. I only have Libre calc as an editor for that.

I would suggest downloading E-Sword Tooltip NT, installing it and then reading the programs very detailed user manual. 

Once you have downloaded and installed the program, run the program which will open with the program's main interface. Across the top of the interface there is a standard menu, the last menu option at the right end of the menu is labeled "Help". Clicking "Help" will open the Help drop down menu and the last item on the help menu is the Tooltip user manual

With this program you can generate two dictionary modules for each document then use Tooltip's "Combine File" option to merge the files into a single module. 

Here is the link to download E-Sword Tooltip: http://www.biblesupp...ooltip-tool-nt/

#5 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:34 PM

Document "A"
ανυψων V-PAPNS 
ανυψωσαν V-AAI-3P 
ανωθεν G509 ADV 
ανωκοδομησαν G456  V-AAI-3P
ανωκοδομησεν G456  V-AAI-3S
ανωμεν V-PAS-1P 

Document "B"
G505 ἀνυπόκριτος, ον Adjective unfeigned, without hypocrisy
G506 ἀνυπότακτος, ον Adjective unruly
G507 ἄνω Adverb up, above, things above, heaven
G508 ἀνώγεον, ου, τό Noun, Neuter an upper room
G509 ἄνωθεν Adverb from above, from the beginning, again
G510 ἀνωτερικός, ή, όν Adjective upper, higher-lying
G511 ἀνώτερον Adjective higher, to a more honorable place, previously, above
G512 ἀνωφελήςές Adjective useless, unprofitable
G513 ἀξίνη, ης, ἡ Noun, Feminine an axe

Perhaps my terminology isn't accurate enough to explain what I am going to do.
This dictionary will be inverted compared to the standard strongs dictionary where the Strongs number is tooltipped.
Below is the form I want it to take into tooltip.
÷ανωθεν
G509 ἄνωθεν Adverb from above, from the beginning, again , ADV

My Document "A" has 37,909 greek words that are to be titles.
Of those there are 23,379 of them that contain the strongs numbers(only).

Document "B" only has the strong numbers along with brief definitions (a true strongs dictionary).

Document "A" Greek words (to be) topics are not (necessarily) lexical entry words but actual words of the greek bible.

Therefore there will be multiple words with the same strong number, G3588, for instance.

I could do it manually in a spreadsheet in find and replace, strong numbers one by one...some 5624 times, merge

document "B' contents into document "A".

I know some have merged contents, like BDB&Strongs...BTSK+, BTSCTVM+.
Something similar to what I want to do except I will have the same strongs numbers in multiple definitions and unlike the former, I only want a brief definition...similar to a gloss.

I have at least a working knowledge of tooltip but there is nothing in the manual that I can see that would allow doing what I want to accomplish with this task.

If it can do this, please point out the steps I need to take to do it.

I apologize for any confusion.

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:53 PM

Do you mean something like this?

Document "A"
ανωθεν G509 ADV 

Document "B"
G509 ἄνωθεν Adverb from above, from the beginning, again

Document "AB"

ανωθεν G509 ADV G509 ἄνωθεν Adverb from above, from the beginning, again

OR

Document "AB"

ανωθεν G509 ἄνωθεν Adverb from above, from the beginning, again

OR

Document "AB"

ανωθεν G509 Adverb from above, from the beginning, again

There are complications, ανωθεν and ἄνωθεν  would need to be recognized even though they use different Unicode codepoints for the first letter, α is 945 and ἄ is 7940.  So some smarts would be needed to do such a merge. 

#7 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:08 AM

All of "A" document has no diacritics, unaccented. Other than that, do you understand what I want to do? And yes, I realize no diacritics has an affect on how programs deal with recognition. I doubt I will go to the trouble to add the diacritics...that is beyond my talent. More merging that I don't know how to do yet.

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:10 AM

I presented several options of what I think you want, but you did not indicate which if any are correct.  Yes, diacritics MUST to be mapped even is not included in the final product.

#9 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:31 AM

My post #5 has the data in its present state. I want to keep the ADV since that can be referenced. So I suppose: Document "AB" ανωθεν G509 ADV G509 ἄνωθεν Adverb from above, from the beginning, again

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:38 AM

So you want to keep all the data from each file in the combined file.  That is doable and probably not too hard if the data is as you have presented it, but unfortunately I cannot do it for you at this time, and there is no tool in "Tooltip Tool NT" to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users