Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Error 20056

13 replies to this topic

#1 John Eastham

John Eastham

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:17 AM

When I try to copy a verse from e-Sword (using CTRL + C)  I get this error message:

Error: 20056 "Cannot read or write to the clipboard" (1-1612).

I've had version 11.1.0 for some time.  This error started appearing a few weeks ago.

I can still copy the verse with a right click and selecting "copy."

I reinstalled Version 11.1.0 from the setup file, but I'm still experiencing the error.

I'd like CTRL + C to start working again.  Recommendations appreciated.

John Eastham

Kampala, Uganda

Attached Files

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:09 PM

When I try to copy a verse from e-Sword (using CTRL + C)  I get this error message:

Error: 20056 "Cannot read or write to the clipboard" (1-1612).

I've had version 11.1.0 for some time.  This error started appearing a few weeks ago.

I can still copy the verse with a right click and selecting "copy."

I reinstalled Version 11.1.0 from the setup file, but I'm still experiencing the error.

I'd like CTRL + C to start working again.  Recommendations appreciated.

John Eastham

Kampala, Uganda

Hi John,

I just tested the shortcut key Ctrl + C in e-Sword, and had no issues with it, and pasted the text ( using the Ctrl +V keystroke) without a problem. So, as to what is causing this problem, at a rough guess, it may be your keyboard is not working. Recommend you test it in another program such as the word processor you use and see if you get the same problem. If you do, then you know the issue lies with your keyboard and that you may need to replace it.

Trust that this helps you, and let me know how it went.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hi John,

I just tested the shortcut key Ctrl + C in e-Sword, and had no issues with it, and pasted the text ( using the Ctrl +V keystroke) without a problem. So, as to what is causing this problem, at a rough guess, it may be your keyboard is not working. Recommend you test it in another program such as the word processor you use and see if you get the same problem. If you do, then you know the issue lies with your keyboard and that you may need to replace it.

Trust that this helps you, and let me know how it went.

Blessings,

Stephen, if his keyboard was not working, his statement in the original post, would not make any sense.

"When I try to copy a verse from e-Sword (using CTRL + C)  I get this error message:

Error: 20056 "Cannot read or write to the clipboard" (1-1612)."

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

Stephen, if his keyboard was not working, his statement in the original post, would not make any sense.

Hi Jon,

The Ctrl + C error isn't in e-Sword. If a thorough test is done using that keystroke right across the board in other applications which uses text, then that error should come up right across the board of all his applications (programs). Moreover, if the error was in John's copy of e-Sword 11.10, then that error would appear in all copies of that version of e-Sword. But because that is not happening, and it's only localized to his machine.

Not only that, but also if he tested the other methods of copying using the Copy menu item in the popup context menu, and Copy button and doesn't get that error using them, then the issue has to be related to hardware. That said, if he does get that error using the other methods of Copy, and that same error appears in his other applications, such as MS Word or whatever he uses, then he has a hardware issue of which the CPU or something else is not registering the command. Even a simple loose connection of the keyboard, I've learned, can cause that error.

It would be interesting to know when that error began to occur because John would have used that keystroke many times before it occurred without any problems. So, in order to know how, when and where that began to occur a great deal of more information is needed.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:50 PM

Hi Jon,

Just found out that another possible cause for that error to popup could be a Microsoft update, as to which one, I don't know.

Blessings,

post-94-0-52125500-1325722973.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 FivuR

FivuR

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

Hi!
I've the same problem in e-sword 11.2.2:

"error cannot read from or write to the clipboard ".

I'm using Win 10, full updated.

Bless!

#7 iTony888

iTony888

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:29 PM

I know this is an old topic started back in 2018 but a few days ago, I too started having the same problem but in eSword Version 12.1.0 on Win10 and it's random.

error.jpg

I know it's not my keyboard because this error message only occurs within eSword. Word, browsers, and other programs are all fine.

Also this occurs using both Ctrl+C and my mouse to highlight and right click copy.

My Windows 10 [1909] is a new install without the 2020-04 1909 optional update as I used to have that one and it created many problems for me so I did a fresh install with Windows.

Attached Files

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:23 PM

I know this is an old topic started back in 2018 but a few days ago, I too started having the same problem but in eSword Version 12.1.0 on Win10 and it's random.

I know it's not my keyboard because this error message only occurs within eSword. Word, browsers, and other programs are all fine.

Also this occurs using both Ctrl+C and my mouse to highlight and right click copy.

My Windows 10 [1909] is a new install without the 2020-04 1909 optional update as I used to have that one and it created many problems for me so I did a fresh install with Windows.

OK, I tested all forms of copy and paste in e-Sword including using the keyboard keystrokes of Ctrl+C for copy, and Ctrl+V for paste, and had no issues.

Tested Copy and paste by having used the following methods:

My Mouse button settings are for Left Hand use. So if you are right handed read what I have done, for you to do opposite to it.

• As previously mentioned Ctrl+C and Ctrl V, no issues.
  • Left Click for Context Menu, and click Copy No issues
  • Left Click then Paste from Context Menu - No issues
  • Left Click then Copy Verses... - No Issues.
  • Left Click then Paste into an editor from the Copy Verses dialog - No issues
  • Left Click then Copy into Topic Notes (if Topic Notes is activated) - No Issues.

So, bearing that in mind, the problem you are experiencing is not universal across all PCs. It is localized only to a very few machines. Therefore the issue resides only at the end of those extremely few machines.

Edited by APsit190, 29 April 2020 - 05:24 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

This should be checked by others and I am not sure it applies here but about a year ago, I was doing some copying with e-Sword and I got the same message box that others refer to here. The short of it, I found out that if I have another program that had access to the main clipboard, e-Sword would show the message box...I don't remember the exact details of what was going on... In my case, I closed out the other program so e-Sword copy would work properly.

#10 iTony888

iTony888

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:20 PM

This should be checked by others and I am not sure it applies here but about a year ago, I was doing some copying with e-Sword and I got the same message box that others refer to here. The short of it, I found out that if I have another program that had access to the main clipboard, e-Sword would show the message box...I don't remember the exact details of what was going on... In my case, I closed out the other program so e-Sword copy would work properly.

That was my problem as I was able to reproduce it. Strange because I've been using eSword for many years with other programs opened at the same time but only last week did I start to encounter this problem. I left eSword opened and as soon as I closed the other program, eSword copy functions started working again.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users