Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Reference Error at the Beginning of Chapters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LuisVega323

LuisVega323

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

I am getting a “Bad Reference” error on every first verse of every chapter when trying to create a Bible module with ToolTip (see attached pic)

I assume I am missing something (symbol, break?) between chapters. But I have looked for an answer in the ToolTip guide and could not find anything.

Can someone please help me?Attached File  EF81D0C0-72AD-4EE5-BEC1-2A8EB0FBD331.jpeg   268.32K   12 downloads

Edited by LuisVega323, 08 October 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

I am getting a “Bad Reference” error on every first verse of every chapter when trying to create a Bible module with ToolTip (see attached pic)

I assume I am missing something (symbol, break?) between chapters. But I have looked for an answer in the ToolTip guide and could not find anything.

Can someone please help me?

Where's your attached screenshot?

I seek it here, I seek it there, and even looked under my bed. Can't see it for the life of me. Where did it go to???

(Whistle) Here screenshot, come here screenshot. Where are you screenshot???

Blasted thing not coming to me. Useless screenshot. Should shoot the thing.

Well, gotta have some fun sometimes.

Edited by APsit190, 08 October 2018 - 03:42 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

Can someone please help me?

First your picture did not attach

You need to make sure there are no spaces or empty paragraphs between the chapters in your module, the text must be continuous. Also recall what I posted the other night about using soft breaks between lines in a paragraph. You create soft breaks by pressing shift then enter at the end of the line where you need the break.

Also make sure you have the settings correct in the module header, the module head sets parameters for creating your module.

The header should be at the top of your module and look like this:

#define description=DESC

#define abbreviation=ABBR

#define comments=CMTS

#define version=3

#define strong=0

#define right2left=0

#define ot=0

#define nt=1

#define font=DEFAULT

#define apocrypha=0

÷

The two variables listed as #define ot= and #define nt= determine whether your module us a full bible containing both the old and new testaments.

If both the #define ot= and #define nt= variables are shown as #define ot=1 and #define nt=1 in the header in your module then Tooltip is looking for the both The Old Testament and The New Testament. If this is the case you need to change the #define ot=1 to #define ot=0, this will tell Tooltip your module is a New Testament Module only.

#4 LuisVega323

LuisVega323

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

I have attached the picture.

And yes it is a NT module only.

Attached Files

Edited by LuisVega323, 08 October 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:49 AM

I have attached the picture.

And yes it is a NT module only.

Okay based on your image you have the Book, Chapter and verse references tooltipped which is not allowed in bible modules.

Here is a sample of what the verses should look like:

Rth 1:2 The name of that man was Elimelech, the name of his wife was Naomi, and the names of his two sons were Mahlon and Chilion. They were Ephrathites from Bethlehem in Judah. They entered the territory of Moab and settled there.

Rth 1:3 But Elimelech, Naomi's husband, died. Then only she was left, along with her two sons.

My examples are from the Book of Ruth but note that the Book, Chapter and verse references are in plain text like this Rth 1:2 

Where yours look like this: 1Ch 8:34

When Tooltip processes bible modules the processing requires the entire text of the module be in plain text, The text can contain underlining, bold letter and italics for emphasis and or different colored text, but no other special features

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

The tooltips are not an issue. It is more likely that there is a no-break space between the last digit and the verse text.

Or picture data?

Edited by JPG, 15 October 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

The tooltips are not an issue. It is more likely that there is a no-break space between the last digit and the verse text.

The space between the last digit and the verse text should not be an issue as I have made a number of bible modules with that spacing and had no problems. He is creating a bblx bible module, and bblx modules to not allow for Tooltipping, if here were making a .bbli module it would not be an issue I believe

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

if here were making a .bbli module it would not be an issue I believe

Just had a thought; you can test your theory simply by having a go at exporting it as a bbli resource in T4, and see what happens. My guess (and that is all it is, purely a guess) you would get a similar error as you would get with a bblx resource. 

Like I said, it's just a guess, and with that there is that possibility I may be wrong.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:55 AM

The space between the last digit and the verse text should not be an issue as I have made a number of bible modules with that spacing and had no problems. He is creating a bblx bible module, and bblx modules to not allow for Tooltipping, if here were making a .bbli module it would not be an issue I believe

When I replied that the tooltipped verses was not an issue, that reply was based on me testing it.

Also about the no-break space causing an issue, it was also something that I had tested.

Sorry I did not make it clear it was not guesses.

It would have been easier to make a judgement if the original poster had included the T4 file for any of us to look at.

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

It would have been easier to make a judgement if the original poster had included the T4 file for any of us to look at.

This is where it really is at. I mean, should be at.

It's when the file is shared, and then can be tested by someone else, then a solution can be found. Just going on a photo or screenshot itself doesn't quite give all the information one needs to see what caused the error. Perhaps a screen recording (video) may be really helpful because one can actually then see what the person has done. All actions are recorded including what has actually been typed. That way you can see how the actual error has come about.

Just a bit of a side note on this.

Windows 10 has a built in Screen recording part to it (can't remember the Keystrokes for it to pop up) which primarily has been designed for game recording. Then you also have some Graphic cards which come with built in Screen recorders which record game play and desktop recording. NVIDIA GeForce Graphic Cards has an In Game Overlay which does game and Desktop screen recording.

Now, with that said, I find it really helpful to have this with my NVIDIA graphics card because, as many would have seen, I use it for giving answers in resolving e-Sword problems and etc. So, with that all said, done and dusted, If one can do a screen recording, and upload it here, then I think this will help a great deal in finding solutions to problems one faces with e-Sword, and etc

Trust this information is helpful.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users