Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

New request

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

I understand there is a book (Amazon says in the public domain?) named HOURS WITH THE BIBLE  by  John Cunningham Gekie.

Could somebody turn it into a module? Can it be done? Don't know the book, appears to be usefull...

Blessings!

#2 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

The 10 volumes I looked at seemed presentable, but there were MASSIVE amounts of footnotes, published in 1906 at the Princeton Theological online library.

INTERESTING:

Geikie enjoyed a wide reputation as a writer of popular books on biblical and religious subjects. Charles Spurgeon described him as "one of the best religious writers of the age". His chief writings dealt on orthodox lines with historical and practical rather than with theological themes. His most ambitious work was 'Hours with the Bible, or, the Scriptures in the Light of Modern Discovery and Knowledge' (10 vols. 1881-84; new edit, largely re-written, 12 vols. 1896-97). His 'Life and Words of Christ' (2 vols. 1877; new edit. 1 vol. 1891) reached a circulation of nearly 100,000 copies, and Delitzsch placed the book in 'the highest rank.' He was deeply interested in the exploration of Palestine under the direction of Claude Reignier Conder, and several visits to the country supplied him with material for 'The Holy Land and the Bible: A Book of Scripture Illustrations gathered in Palestine' (2 vols. 1887; abridged edit. 1903).

An undivided heart,
    which worships God alone,
    and trusts Him as it should,
    is raised above anxiety for earthly wants.
                          John Cunningham Geikie

Edited by LarryG, 11 September 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#3 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:25 PM

"there were MASSIVE amounts of footnotes"--I saw endnotes and no Hebrew or Greek fonts either.  Fairly straight forward.  Sorry too much to do already,

#4 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:28 PM

LarryG: Thanks for the information regarding the author.

Well, I keep hoping...

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:10 AM

LarryG: Thanks for the information regarding the author.

Well, I keep hoping...

In all honesty, I have some serious questions about the usefulness of this tome...other than that it could be added to an electronic collection of Bible related texts.  Why would I look at this set of books like this?  Mostly because of the age of the scholarship.  It was first published in 1881 with the caveat stated in the title of "...the Scriptures in the Light of Modern Discovery and Knowledge''. 

This was 137 years ago and since then Israel the nation has been re-established with constant archeological endeavors since the late 1940's.  Much NEW information has been discovered to shed further light upon the historical truths of God's word, both new and information expanding what was known before....leading to further insight than could ever be given in that older set of books.  Not only encyclopedia style books but many of the technical types of commentaries are available with large quantities of historical background information to 'flesh out' the Biblical descriptions and give greater understanding.

Edited by LarryG, 14 September 2018 - 12:11 AM.

#6 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

LarryG: again, thanks, now, for your views. I don't know if Geikie is still useful, as I have no access to it. And, most certainly, there are so many many books to read about the Bible...Geikie may be dated, as you imply, and Modern, 137 years later, is relative! 

#7 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

LarryG: again, thanks, now, for your views. I don't know if Geikie is still useful, as I have no access to it.

I would assume you can download it in various texts formats(pdf), that way, you could have a look-over of it.

#8 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:11 PM

I would assume you can download it in various texts formats(pdf), that way, you could have a look-over of it.

Yes.  You could use this link:  https://archive.org/details/Princeton

Then in the upper left corner there is a 'Search' box.  Paste in this query: HOURS WITH THE BIBLE  and thumbnails of available texts are shown.  Just look around, you'll find what your seeking....

If you click on the thumbnail of the volume you want to investigate, your text will pop up with associated data and a BIG selection of download options.  PDF, Txt, Kindle, EPUB, etc.   If you download the txt version the errors become apparent quickly, but the PDF is pretty easy to read.   Moving the text from PDF into MS Word for construction into an eSword module is possible, but very time consuming.  Spelling, punctuation and spelling errors seem to fill these older books...or that has been my experience.

FYI   The Internet Archive seems to have the best variety of older online books available, but they've removed a lot of their books in the past 3-5 years.  There are several other resource's available though, you just need to look.  Also Canada, Scotland and England used to have a lot of online Christian books 5-10 years ago.  Many of these resources are being pulled though, sadly.  The west appears to be entering a post Christian age.

#9 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

LarryG: thanks again, I downloaded it and will have a quick view, and tell after!

Blessings,!!!

#10 Gemmy

Gemmy

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:12 AM

Hi there, I am looking for a version of the bible called Modern English Version (MEV) Published by Passio.  I find this a very useful version as here in the UK if we use the KJV (which I love) we have to pay to use it in our books, but the MEV is a good close second to the KJV and we are able to use it better.  It would be good to get it in the format that I can use on e-sword.  E-Sword makes it so much easier to get information all in one place. 

Thank you. 

Megs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users