Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Need info on Zodhiates Word Study Dict for e-Sword HD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:24 AM

One of my frustrations is attempting to lookup a greek word in a lexicon but to no avail because I don’t have the diacritics when I enter the Greek word on my iPad. I love the Zodhiates in hard copy and want to buy and d/l the module to my iPad. Before I do, can anyone tell me if I can merely enter the Greek word, without diacritics, and get the result or are the diacritics necessary for word search?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

One of my frustrations is attempting to lookup a greek word in a lexicon but to no avail because I don’t have the diacritics when I enter the Greek word on my iPad. I love the Zodhiates in hard copy and want to buy and d/l the module to my iPad. Before I do, can anyone tell me if I can merely enter the Greek word, without diacritics, and get the result or are the diacritics necessary for word search?

I think that is dependent on the dictionary resource. If the dictionary has the diacritics, and you search the word without them, I think (though not absolutely certain) you should be able to find that word. That said, said, the actual Greek word, but not the transliteralized word, doesn't have the diacritics.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:38 AM

I have the Wordstudy dictionaries and I use them as I do other lexicons. They are all organized by Strong’s number so I don’t enter Greek lemmas. Maybe others use them differently. I attached a screen shot of how it looks when I use it to check out the Greek word translated as “beginning” in John 1:4. I realize it is not a great screenshot, but I think you can see when I mean.

Attached Files

Edited by Jogirl, 06 September 2018 - 03:42 AM.

#4 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do the same with my other lexicons, e.g., OGNT, LSJ, etc. So it’s great if you have the G or GK number. But suppose I do not know the G number or the meaning; if I attempt to look up “αρχη” (without the diacritics) in those lexicons, I get nothing. So my question is: if I do not know the meaning or the G number and I enter αρχη (without diacritics)in the search function of Zodhiates, will I get a result?

Edited by lewiej, 06 September 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#5 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

The Word Study dictionaries in e-sword are designed to be used with the Strong's number system. I tried entering the Greek word with and without the diacritics and the dictionary will not search on them. Using the KJV+ Strong's bible version gives me the inline Strong's number and when that is selected, the lexicon comes up. That is the only way I know to use lexicons within e-sword is via Strong's numbers.

#6 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

Thanks again for replying. You have been helpful. BTW, there is a way to lookup without G numbers and/or gloss. Go to:

https://www.billmoun...reek-dictionary

and enter the Greek word without diacritics. Also can use gloss, G# etc.

#7 octavianus sihombing

octavianus sihombing

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

I just change my computer and i started installing esword and downloading module. However, i found it that Complete Word Study Dictionary is listed with red color and could not be downloaded. Is there anyone facing the same problem with me?

Thank you for your attention and help. God bless.

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

I just change my computer and i started installing esword and downloading module. However, i found it that Complete Word Study Dictionary is listed with red color and could not be downloaded. Is there anyone facing the same problem with me?

You need to make sure you have either e-Sword 11 or 12 installed for the e-Sword downloader to work correctly.

Starting with e-Sword 11, e-Sword for Windows PC's can read html formatted modules which have been exclusively for use with the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword.

As result of the change all of modules that can be downloaded using the e-Sword downloader have been reformatted to work with e-Sword versions 11 and 12 exclusively. 

One more thing with regards to the Complete Word Study Dictionary, this is premium resource that will need to be purchased

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

There has been an update recently. It is to accommodate the resource you mention. So make sure you have e-Sword 12.1.0

notice the update comments for e-Sword

e-Sword version 12.1
Downloader updated to accomodate the AMG Publishers titles now being sold through eStudySource.

#10 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:10 PM

Just checked it out now and had the same result. My copy of Complete Word Study has a date of 2/4/2009 so would like to see what changes have been made in the file.

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users