Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Need info on Zodhiates Word Study Dict for e-Sword HD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:24 AM

One of my frustrations is attempting to lookup a greek word in a lexicon but to no avail because I don’t have the diacritics when I enter the Greek word on my iPad. I love the Zodhiates in hard copy and want to buy and d/l the module to my iPad. Before I do, can anyone tell me if I can merely enter the Greek word, without diacritics, and get the result or are the diacritics necessary for word search?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationThe Land of the Long White Cloud

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

One of my frustrations is attempting to lookup a greek word in a lexicon but to no avail because I don’t have the diacritics when I enter the Greek word on my iPad. I love the Zodhiates in hard copy and want to buy and d/l the module to my iPad. Before I do, can anyone tell me if I can merely enter the Greek word, without diacritics, and get the result or are the diacritics necessary for word search?

I think that is dependent on the dictionary resource. If the dictionary has the diacritics, and you search the word without them, I think (though not absolutely certain) you should be able to find that word. That said, said, the actual Greek word, but not the transliteralized word, doesn't have the diacritics.

#3 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:38 AM

I have the Wordstudy dictionaries and I use them as I do other lexicons. They are all organized by Strong’s number so I don’t enter Greek lemmas. Maybe others use them differently. I attached a screen shot of how it looks when I use it to check out the Greek word translated as “beginning” in John 1:4. I realize it is not a great screenshot, but I think you can see when I mean.

Attached Files

Edited by Jogirl, 06 September 2018 - 03:42 AM.

#4 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do the same with my other lexicons, e.g., OGNT, LSJ, etc. So it’s great if you have the G or GK number. But suppose I do not know the G number or the meaning; if I attempt to look up “αρχη” (without the diacritics) in those lexicons, I get nothing. So my question is: if I do not know the meaning or the G number and I enter αρχη (without diacritics)in the search function of Zodhiates, will I get a result?

Edited by lewiej, 06 September 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#5 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

The Word Study dictionaries in e-sword are designed to be used with the Strong's number system. I tried entering the Greek word with and without the diacritics and the dictionary will not search on them. Using the KJV+ Strong's bible version gives me the inline Strong's number and when that is selected, the lexicon comes up. That is the only way I know to use lexicons within e-sword is via Strong's numbers.

#6 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

Thanks again for replying. You have been helpful. BTW, there is a way to lookup without G numbers and/or gloss. Go to:

https://www.billmoun...reek-dictionary

and enter the Greek word without diacritics. Also can use gloss, G# etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users