Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Study Note Problem

2 replies to this topic

#1 maverick1972

maverick1972

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

Friends,

I have an interesting problem. I have been backing up my notes for about 10 years and copying the study.notx file as I make changes. I do this as I might add to my notes while working at the church, then when I come home, I simply copy the file and voila. This has worked wonderfully until now.

I'm wondering if there is a file size limitation? As soon as the size of the backup went from 5,877 to 5,944 it became empty. The size of the file is still 5,944 but all the verses and 10 years of notes are blank. Yet, I copy back a file from 6 months ago and it comes back, albeit 6 months behind in notes.

What could cause this? Both versions are 11.1.0.

Blessings,

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

I'm wondering if there is a file size limitation?

Yes there is. It is important to understand that because e-Sword is a Database Reader, which also has the capability of generating Database files by the note editors, it is limited by the type of Database Management System (DBMS) it uses. SQLite is a Relational DBMS, of which it can hold only a certain amount of Tables and Records, and a certain amount of data within that system. As to what the actual maximum capacity for SQLite DBMS is, I have no idea. That said, if the data exceeds the capacity of what that system is able to hold/handle, then generally that system will crash, and/or there will be a loss of data, or that the database file becomes corrupted.

My recommendation, is that rather than using the default machine (e-Sword) generated note file (as in your situation, the study.notx file), and placing all your data in it, that you create new study note files specific to the area of study that you are doing. To create a new study note file, simply press the Crtl key and click the Right mouse button, then in the pop-up context menu, click on New. Then in the New File dialog, type in a unique filename which relates to the study you are doing.

Trust this information is helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 maverick1972

maverick1972

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

Thanks to everyone for their responses. The problem has been corrected...for now at least. I will keep you apprised.

I had been using Word for my notes and sermon data. Then just pasted the information in a new study.notx file.  I kept the original and simply converted it to it's own format and it worked...However I noticed the same problems starting again. The Study Tab would become sluggish and slow to respond and seldom change verses or worse keep the notes from one verse and blend them into another verse. Then after restarting the program all the data would be gone once again.

I sent it to someone else who split the file and remerged it. This seems to have worked. I pasted the notes I made in Word and so far so good. The file is now over 7 MB. If it becomes erratic again; I will let you know.

I do have the original file that was behaving erratically if anyone wants it for technical study purposes?

Abundant Blessings,

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users