Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Member Titles and Positions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

A friend emailed me these suggestions:

Yosemite Sam - Newbies
Wyatt Earp - regular members
Marshall Dillan - forum moderators
Annie Oakley - (for those wanting to express their feminine sides)
John Wayne - for the module builders among us wanting to express our independence
Dirty Harry - for those who think their eSword collections "are the most powerful in the world"

Haha, it cracked me up, so I thought I'd share it here.

Attached File  Uh-uh.gif   19.46K   4 downloads

I dunno!

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#22 Kathy Brundidge

Kathy Brundidge

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

We're all on the same level in Christ, whether one has been in the church 50 years or 10 minutes. If you must have a title, why not let it be Christian?

#23 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

I appreciate everyone's feedback and the offers to help. Here's where we stand. The makers of IPBoard are developing "tags" for the Downloads. The idea works like it does in the Forums. A download could be "tagged" as Baptist. And also tagged as pre-millennial. And also as dispensational. And maybe expository studies. Or maybe doctrinal theolology. The list goes on. A work might be tagged as "sermon helps" or pastoral helps, but also tagged as Methodist. If a resource is heavy into Hebrew or Greek explanation, it might also be tagged as Greek Help (or Greek Grammar or whatever the best terminology is).

This would really help organize the downloads. We would still have a list of categories like we do now (commentaries, topics, etc). But we would also have a list of "tags", probably the most popular tags first or maybe a short list followed by the full list. People would be to quickly find all resources related to Greek Grammar or Greek Helps. Or Methodist. Or Types. The Tag categorization system would act similar to Wordpress.

It may be sometime before get they develop this. But if you've expressed interested, I'll check back with you at that time. You will have the ability to add tags and edit the file listings so you can apply tags to file listings. This is where someone with a background in theology can get so much more done--because they recognize certain works instantly. So far, someone with a masters in theology has offered to help with this. Unfortunately, I don't know when IPBoard will have this complete.

#24 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

I suppose I could end this section with "'nuff said", but for those of you looking for the details, we have implemented full tagging support in IP.Downloads 2.5. You can disable tagging on a per-category basis, and the system supports the pre-defined tagging system (with the ability to configure pre-defined tags on a per-category basis if you wish). You can utilize prefixes and disable prefixes on a per-category basis as well. When submitting a new file (or editing an existing one), you will be presented with the standard tagging interface as you would when submitting a topic, and the interface adapts based on how you have configured your tagging system as a whole (i.e. if you use pre-defined tags, the user will be presented with a dynamic select box to choose from the list of available tags).

We're getting very close to tagging, maybe a month out, if that. Some of you have privately told me you "don't get it"--I understand. But this will be a huge game changer. When you can click on Sermon Helps and see all resources related to just that (even if the keyword isn't in the description), that's a game changer! I intend to have a list of tags, similar to the list of categories. Categories will say, you will also be able to navigate by tags.

A big thanks to Bill Huff for sifting through all of our files to find duplicates. Bill will also be a Module Moderator helping create tags and apply them to resources. We intend to "borrow" some from David Cox's site. I imagine I will also ask Dr. Dave for advice on as we round out our tag system. After we have defined a nice system of tags, the user will be able to select from a predefined set of tags during the upload process. That keeps each user from spelling their own tags, because then you will wind up with tags spelled slightly different ways (Dispensational vs dispensationalism vs dispensationalist). And what makes the tagging system work is more than one tag per resource.

#25 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

tags will be a great way to sort material; two tags are better; multiple tags are best. Example:

Ephesians; devotional; - you can expect a very non-technical look at Ephesians, even if the title is "Doe, John - Treasures from the Armor and More" (made that title up, by the way).

If there's great material in that book, most users will never know it, because they'll never know what's in it without looking and learning (and I think many users are probably guilty of this).

By the way - with eS10's filter, the above fictitious title should be "Doe, John - Treasures from the Armor and More" (Galatians), with the "(Galatians)" in parenthesis, so the user will know it's explanatory and not part of the title. Now, when you filter on "Galatians," it will show up in the RefViewer.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#26 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Invision released Downloads 2.5.0 today. This includes the tagging and a lot of other features.

One new feature related to tagging that caught my eye was the "Related Files" feature. When we tag our resources, then other resources with the same tags will appear randomly below the file listing as an intelligent "You might also like..." section.

Another feature is the ability to re-rate files. If you give a file a bad rating, you can change it later or vice versa.

Yet another is the ability to upload multiple files at once.

Invision has a really bad habit of beta testing on the public. So I'm going to give them a few days to work through the bugs. And then I'll install it next Tuesday or Wednesday. And after that, we can get started really organizing the downloads--the vision I had for this project when this website first started!

#27 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Invision released Downloads 2.5.0 today. This includes the tagging and a lot of other features.

Josh,
This sounds really good, and yet somehow some might not like it. I guess it depends on which end of the stick one is at.

One new feature related to tagging that caught my eye was the "Related Files" feature. When we tag our resources, then other resources with the same tags will appear randomly below the file listing as an intelligent "You might also like..." section.

The impression I have is it seems to give a sort of a library category and a subcategory to a resource, i.e., Theology -Systematic Theology, and etc. If it does that sort of a thing in the tags, and spits out a list of similar type of titles, that would make it really helpful of finding other resources of that genre.

Another feature is the ability to re-rate files. If you give a file a bad rating, you can change it later or vice versa.

I've noticed that on the download pages where one can download a file, there is a star rating available. Is this one you talking about a lot better than the star rating system, and does it give a more accurate "picture" of how good or bad a resource is?

As a side note on this, the one thing I've noticed is that the ratings doesn't generally get used or very rarely gets used, so in some sense I'm wondering what actual value or point this has.

That said, I actually think this a good idea if those who, after downloading a file and has a good look at it, gave it an honest rating and a proper review based on the quality of it.

Yet another is the ability to upload multiple files at once.

That really does sound interesting. I guess for those who do a great deal of module creation and conversions will love this added feature, and at a rough guess I reckon you seem to like this one as well. You know, just a pretty rough guess ;)

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 15 November 2011 - 02:45 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#28 StandingFirm

StandingFirm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Josh, rather than searching for a "play on words" maybe we should do a "play on swords." I couldn't resist saying that. Be blessed!

#29 k0old

k0old

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Titles are fine, Whatever you decide, I am sure will well chosen. I 'm just happy to find new items for my esword. I am a Disabled Veteran and could not afford to purchase what I have found here for free. My deepest thanks to you for your efforts and those assisting you. On the titles issue, I would remind everyone that titles here mean little. It is the title that the Father and Messiah give you that counts. Blessings and Shalom to all here. Brian

Serving the Victims of Disasters
saternshield-1.gif

#30 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Brian, greetings de KH2Z, 73

Edited by BH., 18 December 2011 - 10:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users