Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Member Titles and Positions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 mishle

mishle

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Zander, I agree with the scripture you gave.

We should keep most things generic with the exception of Moderator we need to know who they are.

Also if you are working on modules we need to know who to pm if a regular user sees something that needs to be fixed changed etc.

I think the following are good titles to have.

Josh said " I override member titles for Moderators, Resource Builders, Utility Developers, and for myself."

We may need a description on what those titles are. A sticky thread would work.

I like Module Librarian, and would be happy to help in this department.
-Mishle

--
Proverbs 6:23
For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
--

#12 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Jesus did not tell the Twelve how to structure the church. The twelve became known as "apostles" which is a Greek word for with the basic meaning of messenger boy - nothing pretentious. When the work-load became too great, the Apostles recruited others to assist them. Over the ensuing centuries, words the Apostles used have been converted for use in church settings; more as position descriptions than ranks. Diakonos became deacon - it means "one who serves". Episkopos is translated as overseer, guardian, minister and bishop depending on usage and version. The Apostles Peter and John talked of Presbuteros or Elders, which in turn they took from the organization of the Jewish synogogues in which they were raised. The point being is that the titles were not used so much for the purpose of status but used more like job descriptions.

Earlier, I said I liked the basic concept because it paralleled the e-Sword theme and it brought visuals ready to mind. The following is what came to my mind on reading Josh's concept above:

If it were my choice, the number of posts would have no bearing on the matter. Some people, take me for example, can talk a lot. Others rarely speak but when they do, it is rich in wisdom. Therefore, rather than having the position title correspond soley to the number of posts, IMHO it should decribe what they contribute to their fellow e-Swordites, to coin a phrase.

The following is my concept:

Posted Image

The Swordsman would be what every member is, simply due to the fat that they use e-Sword.

The Trainer is one who provides training materials to help others better use e-Sword and e-Sword relate materials.

The Herald would be Josh's Module Superhero (See above).

The Armorer is those like the Patchword Kid and Doctor Dave who provide the rest of us with new modules.

The Arbiter is for the site moderators.

The Provost is for Josh, the site administrator.

The whole of it keeps it within the e-Sword theme.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 28 September 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

Ebed,
I kinda like your idea. It sorta also gives the sense of chivalry (from the days or knights and etc). Also sort of reminds of the my days in the Army as a gunner, and the ranks we had.

Gunnner
Lance Bombardier
Bombardier
and etc.

However, there is one rank that is missing, and that is for those who write unofficial tools and utilities related to e-Sword, the Swordsmiths or something like that.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21)
X (formerly Twitter)

#14 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Did you know that the chivalric sense of duty can be traced to our times and at least back to to the Roman Empire and the time of Christ? All of the positions I listed have direct counterparts in the armies of the ancients. Some of the position titles are the same as those of the ancients. Others I translated to something a bit more understandable. This would include your "Swordsmith" which I overlooked. Thanks for that nice catch. I added it to the illustration. If it does not appear, hit your browser's refresh button or the [F5] key.

Now all we need to do is convince Josh to adopt our idea.
Posted Image

#15 BibleStudent2000

BibleStudent2000

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

So, if I am a priest, when do I get to turn into a cardinal ? after how many posts ? :-D

#16 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

There is a joker in every deck. :rolleyes: Hopefully it will not be implemented in that fashion. As I said above:

If it were my choice, the number of posts would have no bearing on the matter. Some people, take me for example, can talk a lot. Others rarely speak but when they do, it is rich in wisdom. Therefore, rather than having the position title correspond soley to the number of posts, IMHO it should decribe what they contribute to their fellow e-Swordites, to coin a phrase.

In short, to get a position title, IIMHO one should contribute to the community in some manner other than just blatherin'.
Posted Image

#17 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Did you know that the chivalric sense of duty can be traced to our times and at least back to to the Roman Empire and the time of Christ?

That's an amazing factoid I've never considered! Thanks!

#18 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

I love history. Traditions tend to overlap and merge from one generation to the next. What motivated the ancients still motivates today. For centuries, Greek was the international language of diplomacy, literature, commerce, etc. Then the Roman Legions conquered, subjugated and policed the then known world ... including Greece. About the time of Christ, Latin began to supplant the Greek; hence the reason that the titulus attached to Christ's cross was written in Greek, Latin and Hebrew (Luke 23:38, John 19:19). By the time of Jerome, Latin was definitely in the superior position. This is why the Vulgate was the international Bible for over a thousand years right up to and following the time the King James began it assendancy. Everything of any importance was written in Latin, be they diplomatic treaties, literature, scientific papers, philisophical arguments or military histories. Today, Latin for all practical purposes is extinct and yet it lives on. Julius Caesar coined the phrase Veni, Vidi, Vici converning his success in the war with Pharnaces. The phrase, translated as I came, I saw, I conquered, is the Motto of the US Snipers. Emporer Constantine went into battle with the signature phrase In Hoc Signo Vinces. It means By this sign you will conquer, which he did. A very effective Norwegian battalion also uses this motto. One of the most used Latin phrases worldwide is Semper Paratus, which is the thunderous response given by the Legions to their commander's challenge "Es vos paratus"? Are your ready? We are always ready!! Today this Latin motto lives on with the Australian Army's 6th Battalion Royal Victoria Regiment, the British 1401 Squadron Air Training Corps, Canada's Royal Hamilton Light Infantry among others.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 29 September 2011 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image

#19 CorinaMarie Lozano Quiroga

CorinaMarie Lozano Quiroga

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi, I am willing to help in whatever I can, I am somewhat of a computer nerd since the age of 10yrs old, back in the 80's, and now in my mid 30's.
Thanx..CQ

#20 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

A friend emailed me these suggestions:

Yosemite Sam - Newbies
Wyatt Earp - regular members
Marshall Dillan - forum moderators
Annie Oakley - (for those wanting to express their feminine sides)
John Wayne - for the module builders among us wanting to express our independence
Dirty Harry - for those who think their eSword collections "are the most powerful in the world"

Haha, it cracked me up, so I thought I'd share it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users