Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Pocket e-Sword Commentaries - The Gnomon of the New Testament Commentary Pocket E Sword Version

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

File Name: The Gnomon of the New Testament Commentary Pocket E Sword Version
File Submitter: pfpeller
File Submitted: 10 Sep 2011
File Category: Pocket e-Sword Commentaries

The other great work of Bengel, and that on which his reputation as an exegete is mainly based, is his Gnomon Novi Testamenti, orExegetical Annotations on the New Testament, published in 1742. It was the fruit of twenty years labor, and exhibits with a brevity of expression, which, it has been said, condenses more matter into a line than can be extracted from pages of other writers, the results of his study. He modestly entitled his work a Gnomon or index, his object being rather to guide the reader to ascertain the meaning for himself, than to save him from the trouble of personal investigation. The principles of interpretation on which he proceeded were, to import nothing into Scripture, but to draw out of it everything that it really contained, in conformity with grammatico-historical rules not to be hampered by dogmatical considerations; and not to be influenced by the symbolical books. Bengel's hope that the Gnomon would help to rekindle a fresh interest in the study of the New Testament was fully realized. It has passed through many editions, has been translated into German and intoEnglish, and is still one of the books most valued by expositors of the New Testament--John Wesley made great use of it in compiling hisExpository Notes upon the New Testament (1755).
http://en.wikipedia....Albrecht_Bengel

C H Spurgeon wrote that Bengel's NT commentary "is the Scholar's delight! Bengel condensed more matter into a line than can be extracted from pages of other writers."

John Wesley said of Bengel "I know of no commentator on the Bible equal to Bengel" and referred to him as "The great light of the Christian world."

Bengel developed principles of hermeneutics (the method and techniques used to interpret written texts) still largely valid. One stated 'Import nothing into Scripture, but draw everything out of it, and overlook nothing.'

Click here to download this file

#2 BrianEckes

BrianEckes

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

Hi! I also have the Gnomon downloaded into the latest edition of my e-sword program. I can open the commentary and view that, but how do I use the dictionary too along with it?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users