Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

I Need Help with Topic Notes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Woobyca

Woobyca

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

A couple of months ago my Topic Notes messed up, I don't know how it happened but I tried various things and it didn't work. So I downloaded the latest version of E-sword (which I don't like using) hoping it would sort it all out and it didn't. Today I went back to E-sword 10.1 and still not working right. So, what happens is if I try to edit my topic notes the pop up says "Error editing prayer requests". There is also now a drop down menu at the bottom of the editor window which wasn't there before and many of my notes are there but instead of having the title of the topic it looks different, here is an example "topic (2014_05_23 15_46_04 UTC).topx". Hoping somebody can help me with this.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

A couple of months ago my Topic Notes messed up, I don't know how it happened but I tried various things and it didn't work. So I downloaded the latest version of E-sword (which I don't like using) hoping it would sort it all out and it didn't. Today I went back to E-sword 10.1 and still not working right. So, what happens is if I try to edit my topic notes the pop up says "Error editing prayer requests". There is also now a drop down menu at the bottom of the editor window which wasn't there before and many of my notes are there but instead of having the title of the topic it looks different, here is an example "topic (2014_05_23 15_46_04 UTC).topx". Hoping somebody can help me with this.

By the looks of it, it may be that your files somehow got corrupted. If that is the case, and you don't have a backup/copy of your Topic Note files, then you just may have to start from scratch.

If you do have a backup or a copy of your files, then my best suggestion is that you delete all of those corrupted files, and copy over the backed up files to your hardrive where e-Sword is located (C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\).

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 06 April 2018 - 03:32 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Woobyca

Woobyca

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:02 AM

Thank you so much for answering my question. I know very little about how these things work and I wouldn't know if a file was corrupted if I was looking at one, it's so great that we can come to this site and get help. Thank you again and have a blessed day.

#4 glantern3

glantern3

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

Never delete these files. You may learn how to fix it in the future. E-Sword creates a folder in your Documents folder called e-Sword. Go to e-sword and right click on the file you are having problems with and go to  "restore previous versions" and highlight the most recent and largest file. This is a "restore point". You will see a button that says "restore". Click it and close e-sword and reopen the e-sword program. I did this and all of my Topic notes all 2.76 mb were back. All of these files are the same. They just have those proprietary funny files extensions. They all work basically the same way. Now if you deleted the file it may still be in your "Recycle Bin". Just take the new file that was created and create a new folder in the e-sword folder and name it "Backup". Then go to you recycle bin and right click and select "restore". Windows will put it back in the same spot and then you can try to fix it. If you fix it then go into the e-sword program and highlight all of the text and then copy it and then open up a new word document titles what every like Topic Notes, Prayer Request or whatever and then paste it into this new file and save it into the backup folder. Creating a folder in the e-sword folder will not hurt a thing. Then after time passes go and copy your notes ... all of them and open that backup file and highlight everything in it and then paste. Make sure everything is highlighted or else you will have a duplicate of your notes in it and it will be confusing. I wrote up a big document with pictures and graphics on how to do this but I can't figure out how to upload it. This is the short version.

glantern3 (Jim)

#5 weeza1

weeza1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

At the bottom under the topic window you will see a drop down box, try clicking and highlight "topic. topx"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users