Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Maori Bible News

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:26 AM

All,
Due to earthquakes and aftershocks and the rest, for the best part of this year I haven't done much to the development of this module.

I've only just recently restarted working on it, and in the space of about 3 weeks I've finished Deuteronomy and have only about three chapters of the Book of Joshua to do.

My initial goal was to have the module completed by April this year, and that didn't happen. So this time, my goal to have this module completed is (trusting that we don't get anymore major earthquakes or aftershocks) by somewhere between April and June 2012.

Before releasing this module I would like someone fluent in Te Reo to proof read the Maori Bible for me, and note the corrections that may needed to be made.

Just so you know what it looks like, I've added a couple of screenshots.

Maori Bible Information Dialog

The Maori Bible Genesis Chapter One

X (formerly Twitter)

#2 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPapamoa, New Zealand

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hi Apsit190,

Is this a new version - I already have a copy of the Maori Bible in esword?

"Maori Bible prepared by Timothy Mora. Text reproduced by Dr. Cleve Barlow. Compiled for use with E-Sword by James Ihimaera 26 July 2008 (Version 2.0)."

Robert

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hi Bob,
The text I have is probably from the 1952 edition of the Maori Bible, and may have been done under the auspices of the Bible Society of New Zealand. There is no copyright to it, its in the public domain. So as to those whom you mention, is the text they have used is from 1952 edition or the one that the N.Z. Bible Society has been talking about on the website (http://biblesociety....le-translation/)?

If its from the newest edition, then I will not continue with this one as it would have well and truly passed its use-by-date :D

Oh yeah, If you haven't uploaded it to this site, will you do it please?

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#4 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hi Stephen,

Sorry I don't know anything about the version - just that i have it as a module in esword I came upon sometime. I can send you a copy of the module if you like.

Also - as you are obviously a Kiwi - go the All Blacks!! You will know what I mean.

Bob

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

There is no copyright to it, its in the public domain.

One major issue with public domain, is that in some jurisdictions, content creators can not give up rights that copyright law grants them. This holds regardless of regardless of the legal jurisdiction of the content creator. Furthermore, legal scholars have suggested that the Berne Convention denies the right of the content creator to place their content in the public domain. All that can be disclaimed are economic rights.

Rephrasing: Just because somebody in New Zealand declared the content to be public domain, in both Germany, and Japan, that individual, if they are the content creator, is the copyright owner of the text, and users of that content in Germany, or Japan, that utilise the text without permission of that copyright owner, are using the content in violation of copyright law. The declaration of the individual in New Zealand that the content is public domain, is, in both Germany, and Japan, a declaration that holds no legal merit, and is not an admissable defense in a copyright action.

is the text they have used is from 1952 edition

The e-Sword Maori Bible for e-Sword that I have, doesn't provide any copyright related information.
More specifically, all it states is:
Maori Bible prepared by Timory Mora.  
Text reproduced by Dr Cleve Barlow.  
Compiled for use with e-Sword by James lhimaera 26 July 2008 (Version 2.0).

If its from the newest edition, then I will not continue with this one as it would have well and truly passed its use-by-date

It seems strange to me that a translation that is barely sixty years is almost unreadable by speakers of the language, because of changes in the language. This is an old, established langauge. Not something declaring independence from the homeland.

Oh yeah, If you haven't uploaded it to this site, will you do it please?

Looks like it was uploaded by will brinson: ferguson on 16 July 2011 to http://www.biblesupp...ile/4799-maori/

jonathon

#6 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi Stephen,

The copy of my Maori Bible is the same as the one above.

Bob

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi Stephen,

The copy of my Maori Bible is the same as the one above.

Looks like it was uploaded by will brinson: ferguson on 16 July 2011 to http://www.biblesupp...ile/4799-maori/

Kia ora Bob and Jonathon
I've downloaded it and compared it to what I've thus far worked on, and the text between the two are exactly the same. Although the text I have or the the one by Tim Mora doesn't have the year of the edition, I tend to think/believe its the 1952 Edition.

So I've decided to continue with the one I am using because of paragraph formatting I've done to it, and the Mora edition for e-Sword doesn't distinguish the paragraphs.

More than that, in the Information Dialog I've put in a comprehensive amount of information about the Maori Bible which I've sauced from the Bible Society of New Zealand. There is an incredible amount of history about this which I don't think many Kiwis would know about. So I've put all of that kind of stuff in the Bible Info dialog.

So, as you can see, there is a huge point of difference from what is currently available to what I am currently working on. So with two versions going to be up there will certainly make it interesting. Text wise, no difference... Formatting and information wise, huge differences. So there we go!

Kia kaha and ka kite ano
Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21)

P.S. Jonathon, US have team over here for the Rugby World Cup... they will be playing Australia in their pool games. I'd like to see a real upset by see the US beating Australia... Ooh yeah, that would be something!

World cup started last night... The ABs beat Tonga 42 or 43 (I think) to 10.

The opening ceremony was incredible and fantastic.
X (formerly Twitter)

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

So I've decided to continue with the one I am using because of paragraph formatting I've done to it, and the Mora edition for e-Sword doesn't distinguish the paragraphs.

This is where you want to insert paragraph markers that e-Sword doesn't display.

More than that, in the Information Dialog I've put in a comprehensive amount of information about the Maori Bible which I've sauced from the Bible Society of New Zealand.

+1

World cup started last night... The ABs beat Tonga 42 or 43 (I think) to 10.

41-10.

I'd rather watch the AFL Grand Final.

jonathon

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Jonathon,
I'm glad you agree with the information of the Maori Bible. It covers its history from its inception to the 1952 Edition.

I've updated the screenshot of the MB Info dialog.

Blessings,
X (formerly Twitter)

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

All,
Just a bit of an update on the Maori Bible for e-Sword that I'm working on.

The Info on the Maori Bible is 99% complete. There is just one more thing that I believe needs to be added, and that is the Name of the Books (all 66 of them) in Maori.

In my initial post I said, "... and in the space of about 3 weeks I've finished Deuteronomy and have only about three chapters of the Book of Joshua to do."

Well, the Book of Joshua is well and truly completed, and now I am about half way through 2Samuel. So about 9.5 books of the OT complete, and have actually completed 8,260 verses to date. Well, that is what my SQLite Manager tells me. So there's 22,842 verses to go. Looks a lot, doesn't it?!

Blessings,
X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users