Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Embedding Foreign Font

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alroy

alroy

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

I am creating a commentary module in Tamil from a word document. The word document is in non-unicode characters - with formattign and pictures. This was the file which was used to make the printed book.

I can successfully 'mark' and put the commentary to e-sword. But I have to change the font in esword to the tamil font - this changes all the others text in esword font to tamil - which makes even the english text appear in gibberish.

Is there any way to embed the font - without using unicode - if we are to convert the word doc to unicode we will use all formatting and will also double the work...

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

I am creating a commentary module in Tamil from a word document. The word document is in non-unicode characters - with formattign and pictures. This was the file which was used to make the printed book.

I can successfully 'mark' and put the commentary to e-sword. But I have to change the font in esword to the tamil font - this changes all the others text in esword font to tamil - which makes even the english text appear in gibberish.

Is there any way to embed the font - without using unicode - if we are to convert the word doc to unicode we will use all formatting and will also double the work...

MS-Word is not the best tool to use to create modules when you want to have multiple fonts in a given module as e-Sword is not compatible with Word's default file format of .DOC or .DOCX. Modules for e-Sword are for the most part generated from Rich Text Format or RTF formatted files. 

The best tool to use to create modules is e-Sword ToolTip NT which is a word processor and module creator designed to work exclusively with e-Sword. By creating the module using e-Sword Tooltip the module will have all of the correct coding for fonts. Tooltip uses all of the fonts installed on your computer just like MS-Word but Word cannot generate all of the coding needed for e-Sword use. 

As an example I created a bible module for e-Sword some time back that has Syriac wording along with Hebrew, English, and Greek within the bible's text. Using Tooltip to create the module allowed me to have the Hebrew and Greek words in Titus-Cyberbit Basic font, the Syriac wording in a Syriac font, and the English wording in Ariel font. So multiple languages and fonts can be done the key is that I created the module using Tooltip NT along with installing a set of Syriac fonts on to my computer in order to properly display the Syriac wording in the module. Tooltip generated the bible file with all of the correct font coding so all I had to do was set the correct fonts in E-Sword for the module to display correctly.

The bible module I created also displays the different languages in different colors Hebrew in Blue, Greek in Dark Red, Syriac in heavy black and English is displayed in normal black lettering. The different text coloring was also created through use of e-Sword Tooltip which has color options specific to E-sword. 

#3 alroy

alroy

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

I am also using NT Tooltip to create the module - for commentary modules - it does not retain the fonts created in tooltip. So is there anyway that without changing the font in esword options that we can workaround?

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

I am also using NT Tooltip to create the module - for commentary modules - it does not retain the fonts created in tooltip. So is there anyway that without changing the font in esword options that we can workaround?

I just downloaded one of the Tamil bible modules which displays the Tamil in a font called Latha the Latha font appears in e-Sword without the need of changing any fonts in e-Sword. 

After downloading and installing the bible module I then opened Tooltip NT and set up the variables for a new commentary module so I could create a test commentary module. At the first mark in the commentary module I typed Genesis 1:1 to created a commentary for that bible verse. I then copied the text for Genesis 1:1 from the Tamil bible module which looks as follows:

ஆதியிலே தேவன் வானத்தையும் பூமியையும் சிருஷ்டித்தார்.

I then created a second line under the Tamil that displays Genesis 1:1 in English in the Ariel font which displays as follows:

In the begining God created the heaven and the earth

The commentary module saved just fine and both languages display just fine in e-Sword:

Below are images  of how the commentary looks in the e-Sword commentary window and the layout for the module in Tooltip NT:

You stated you are using a word document as the source for the module so I suspect that there maybe a formatting issue in the word document. e-Sword tooltip modules are created from Rich Text Format or RTF so you might want to try this:

1. Open the Word document in word 

2. Then do a file save and save it as an RTF file, this will create a second copy of the document so you will have one in word format and one in RTF format

3. Close the Word version of the document leaving MS-Word Itself open

4. Open the newly created RTF file in Word and see how it looks

5. Close the RTF file and MS-Word

6. Open Tooltip NT and then open the RTF file to see how it looks in Tooltip. You should be able to create the commentary module as I did with test module by using the RTF file as a source

Attached Files

Edited by Tj Higgins, 01 February 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#5 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Page 33 of the user guide is helpful with reference to non-unicode text, and what the settings should be.

■ RTF Features
ToolTip NT supports several rarely used RTF features. RTF refers to Rich Text Format, the markup syntax used for the creation of e-Sword modules. Just as HTML code presents and formats web content on web pages, RTF presents and formats content in e-Sword.
Include RTF Header
Access this setting by clicking Modules on the main menu. Note that Include RTF Header is either checked or unchecked. This feature should generally remain disabled. It’s unchecked by default.
e-Sword wraps module content with its own RTF header. This controls the standard font colors, font sizes, and font styles.
Enabling Include RTF Header prevents the e-Sword user from controlling the font size, link colors, and font styles. This is the reason this feature should generally not be used.
Include RTF Header should only be used if you have a document with Greek or Hebrew that uses a legacy font instead of Unicode. This preserves the legacy font usage if you distribute the legacy font with the module.
Use Old RTF Code
Access this setting by clicking Modules on the main menu. Note that when Use Old RTF Code is unchecked, the “New RTF Code” is used. Old RTF Code is disabled (unchecked) by default.
The Old RTF Code does not support images or hyperlinks. Also, for all module types except Bible, the “New RTF Code” presents content more reliably for technical reasons.
Old RTF Code should be used for Bible modules. Using the “New RTF Code” with Bible modules creates problems viewing the Bible module in e-Sword’s Parallel Mode.
View RTF / View Text
Access this command by clicking View on the main menu. Then choose View RTF. Select View Text to return to the normal text view.
View RTF reveals the raw RTF code. Advanced users will find value in being able to manually change the RTF code, such as removing unwanted background colors from text or tweaking text display.
The majority of users lack the technical skills to use this feature.
If you wish to experiment with this feature, do so with a backup of the file. Do not attempt to make changes to the RTF code of an original file since making a mistake could destroy the integrity of the text.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users