Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Why New English Translation is a paid download?

5 replies to this topic

#1 pokeba

pokeba

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:39 AM

I used e-sword for a few months now and recently I tried to download New English Translation and found we need to pay for this translation. Could someone explain why? In their own web site ( NET), they mentioned they are free. And I know NET is free in Youversion too. Why it is not in E-sword?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

I used e-sword for a few months now and recently I tried to download New English Translation and found we need to pay for this translation. Could someone explain why? In their own web site ( NET), they mentioned they are free. And I know NET is free in Youversion too. Why it is not in E-sword?

Best person to ask is Rick Meyers.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

The NET bible is sold as premium module due to the extensive footnotes that are included with in the translation the publisher charges for all versions of the NET Bible with the complete footnotes.

There is a free version of the NET Bible however it does not include the complete footnotes it only has partial footnotes included as a commentary module for e-Sword 

The free version with partial footnotes can be downloaded here:

http://netbible.com/download

The premium module with complete footnotes can be purchased here:

https://store.bible....tore/product/70

#4 JD4x4

JD4x4

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:08 PM

I too had been interested in the NET Bible, however those interested should be aware of the following email reply when I asked about the availability of a version where the words of Jesus were printed in red, or highlighted:

"Our translators take the position that the whole bible is inspired by God and they are against putting Jesus's words in red as if they are more important or more inspired.

Sorry" 

​Additionally in browsing their web site, the copyright page at https://bible.org/ar...ght-information states the following:
"The NET Bible® verse text (no Notes) can be used by anyone and integrated into your non-commercial  project or publication upon condition of proper Biblical Studies Press copyright and organizational acknowledgments as shown in item 2a. below However, for the full NET Bible® verse text and NET Bible® notes, you cannot change the format of the NET Bible® data file(s) or integrate it into or bundle it with any other software e.g. display program or bible study tool without expressed permission."

(last line underlined and italicized by me).

​So, it is what it is and they hold the copyright and the terms. For me it's a great disappointment because I (so far) have found the translation to be very close to that which I am used to in the KJV but in a more modern and readable vernacular, and the free (demo) version notes appeared to be faithful and unbiased translation efforts. Just perfect imo for my children and grandchildren.

​I'm posting this as informational but also as a "heads up" for those who may feel as I do that it's important to emphasize the known words of Jesus Christ, regardless of their bias toward or against just how "inspired" they may or may not be according to anyone. Sadly, I'll pass but maybe it's for you and if it is it's a paid resource if you want the translation notes and scripture "notes" (they are bundled and combined as well it seems).

Edited by JD4x4, 16 February 2019 - 11:14 PM.

#5 davidwyllie

davidwyllie

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:34 PM

It is free, and can be downloaded for E-Sword at: netbible.com. This is the Bible translation ONLY and does not include the Bible notes. For that there is a charge.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:48 AM

It is free, and can be downloaded for E-Sword at: netbible.com. This is the Bible translation ONLY and does not include the Bible notes. For that there is a charge.

The notes is like the cream on the cake. Bible = Cake is free but Notes = Cream, one pays. Looking at what it costs, not a bad price for cream. You'd get about a gallon of it.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users