Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Ctrl + L hotkey Not Working Correctly

6 replies to this topic

#1 jhdalton

jhdalton

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hello everyone! I have been a long time e-Sword user, and love the program. Within the past couple of years, I've noticed that the Ctrl+L hotkey to get you to the reference entry box doesn't always work. This week I finally narrowed down when it works. It appears that if the mouse is in the menu and title bar region, it works. If the window is not maximized, and the mouse is anywhere outside of e-sword, it works. However, if the mouse pointer is in the Bible, Commentary, or Dictionary windows, the Ctrl+L hotkey does not work. In addition, if I have the cursor in the reference lookup box, and move the mouse over from one of the windows in e-Sword to another window, without clicking, the cursor disappears from the verse lookup window when e-Sword automatically makes the other window gain 'focus.' 

Here's the question...has anyone found a way to make the Ctrl+L always work? I use that shortcut constantly when I'm studying, and it's very frustrating for it to only sometimes work. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

-JD

#2 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hello everyone! I have been a long time e-Sword user, and love the program. Within the past couple of years, I've noticed that the Ctrl+L hotkey to get you to the reference entry box doesn't always work. This week I finally narrowed down when it works. It appears that if the mouse is in the menu and title bar region, it works. If the window is not maximized, and the mouse is anywhere outside of e-sword, it works. However, if the mouse pointer is in the Bible, Commentary, or Dictionary windows, the Ctrl+L hotkey does not work. In addition, if I have the cursor in the reference lookup box, and move the mouse over from one of the windows in e-Sword to another window, without clicking, the cursor disappears from the verse lookup window when e-Sword automatically makes the other window gain 'focus.' 

Here's the question...has anyone found a way to make the Ctrl+L always work? I use that shortcut constantly when I'm studying, and it's very frustrating for it to only sometimes work. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

-JD

I have seen the same change and am not real fond of it. Don't know of anything to do about it, though. Since the mouse is always at my right hand, I just go ahead and click the reference box most of the time when the hotkey fails, then key in my scripture choice.
   †

#3 Ágúst Valgarð Ólafsson

Ágúst Valgarð Ólafsson

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

I have the same experience. Have used this hotkey alot - but seems with a new update on windows 10, it stopped working except in the cases you describe. Other hotkeys, like next chapter, seem to work consistently. Looks like this is something Rick, the author of E-sword, has to address.

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:14 AM

This is the link for reporting issues with e-Sword.

http://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

#5 Ágúst Valgarð Ólafsson

Ágúst Valgarð Ólafsson

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:04 AM

I found a workaround that works great for me and my PC.

1. Download and install autohotkey.com

It is a small program that runs in the background and enables you to create scripts that you activate via keyboard shortcuts of your choice.

2. In my case, autohotkey created a .ahk file under "My documents" that I could edit to add new scripts. If it does not, refer to the get started tutorial for autohotkey.

In the script file (.ahk file) - add the following script:

^l::

MouseMove, 20, 60 ; 
MouseClick left
return

This script captures the ctrl + L  shortcut (^l is a shortcut for that), moves the cursor to the top left (over the E-sword textbox) and clicks the mouse - just like the original E-sword shortcut did. This assumes that you have E-sword window maximized on your screen.

Unless you have instructed AutoHotKey to run with windows start, you may need to launch it for the script to work. Once AutoHotKey is running, it has an icon in the system tray.

#6 Ágúst Valgarð Ólafsson

Ágúst Valgarð Ólafsson

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

Update: I just now upgraded E-Sword to version 11.1.0 - had not noticed there was a new version out. Previously I had version 11.0.6 installed.

With the upgrade, the keyboard shortcut discussed above works again. I ended up removing me workaround :-)

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

Update: I just now upgraded E-Sword to version 11.1.0 - had not noticed there was a new version out. Previously I had version 11.0.6 installed.

@ Josh (007) Bond

On that note, might be an idea if a script can be written to send an email to all members a notification of anything that is e-Sword itself, such as new or updated versions and etc. Just a wild and crazy thought that passes my mind on a Monday.

Your thoughts

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users