Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Popup Tooltips in Study Notes not Linking in Note Icon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xaashley

xaashley

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

I have created a study note linked to a verse (in this example, John 3:16).  Inside that study note, I've included a linked reference to another verse (in this example, Genesis 1:1) and converted it to a popup tooltip.  This functionality works as expected in the study notes window pane.

After saving the study note, the note icon appears next to the verse reference in the Bible pane.  When I click the note icon, a popup tooltip appears with my study note inside; however, the internal link to Genesis 1:1 is no longer linked.  Is this possible?

Attached Files

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

I have created a study note linked to a verse (in this example, John 3:16).  Inside that study note, I've included a linked reference to another verse (in this example, Genesis 1:1) and converted it to a popup tooltip.  This functionality works as expected in the study notes window pane.

After saving the study note, the note icon appears next to the verse reference in the Bible pane.  When I click the note icon, a popup tooltip appears with my study note inside; however, the internal link to Genesis 1:1 is no longer linked.  Is this possible?

My guess is that you need to have the Study Note opened in the editor to be able to have the Scripture reference to pop up in it.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

My guess is that the scripture reference, "Genesis 1:1" is not in the standard e-Sword tooltip format:  "Gen_1:1"

#4 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:21 AM

My guess is that the scripture reference, "Genesis 1:1" is not in the standard e-Sword tooltip format:  "Gen_1:1"

Naw...

I just tried this. It appears that eSword-X does not recognize the same link formatting that the windows version does.

If you type in "Gen_1:1" (with the under_score) in the editor it does not automatically become a tool-tip link.

Also, if you type the same,and then try using the menu choice Format > ToolTip Reference.... the reference will not become a link... BUT....

if you simply use "Gen 1:1" with a space, and then use the menu choice to format tooltip reference (or the key combo cmd-j ) then the verse reference will be tool-tipped.

Also the link displayed in the pop-up does not work, just as the original poster stated but does work in the editor.

Most likely it is a function of how the pop-up text is displayed by e-Sword-X itself.

Roy

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Roy - so is there no way to manually create a tooltip popup in e-Sword X?  (I'm not a Mac user)

#6 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Let me see if I can explain what I found.

Yes you can create a tooltip popup in the editors.

And in the editor, the popup works.

What does not work is, as in the example supplied by the o.p., is trying to use the tooltip in the displayed popup.

The interesting part is that scripture tooltips, in displayed popups, in resources like commentaries DO work.

As in the OP's example, in the editor, if they clicked on the tooltip to display the popup (on the mac you have to click, no automatic popup) the verse/popup displays. There is also a verse tooltip to the verse displayed at the top of the popup, and if you click on THAT link, your bible WILL switch to that book/chapter/verse.

It's kind of hard to explain without sounding like a lot of double-talk  :wacko:  :wacko:  (had to use two, it's double, right !)

Tooltips are created with the menu item

Format > Tooltip Reference

or

keyboard shortcut cmd-J

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 1.25.25 PM.png   171.85K   15 downloads

And as I stated in an earlier post, if you try to format the text with an underscore like you would in e-Sword for Windows, it will not work.

It appears that e-Sword-X does not recognize the text as a valid Bible reference.

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

Format > Tooltip Reference

or

keyboard shortcut cmd-J

And as I stated in an earlier post, if you try to format the text with an underscore like you would in e-Sword for Windows, it will not work.

It appears that e-Sword-X does not recognize the text as a valid Bible reference.

So you MUST use the menu to create a tooltip - you cannot make one just by typing in some formatted scripture reference - that is what I was interested in knowing.  Hm...

#8 xaashley

xaashley

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

Thank you to everyone for testing and replying!  Glad to know that at least I'm not just missing something obvious :)

#9 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Same in Word for iPad. One can format the verses in the notes editor and they do work there but in the Bible the same links will not work. I have just resorted to using the insert scripture feature but then all of the verse(s) are copied into the note.

#10 Todd S

Todd S

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

I am curious how the OP got the note icon in the actual bible. I have verses linked in my study notes but they do not create an icon in the bible at the verse location like the OP's screenshot shows.

---God’s Love is a Verb:---

John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son,

that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users