Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Cannot save any highlights

7 replies to this topic

#1 biblephile

biblephile

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

I am using 11.1.0 and e-sword does not save automatically any highlights. If I highlight in a Bible or in a commentary and go to another version or commentary and come back to the Bible or commentary where I originally highlighted, they are gone. Same thing if I close e-sword and reopen it, all my highlights from the previous session are gone, Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 biblephile

biblephile

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

As a follow-up on my previous question: my problem was solved this morning. It seems to have been a glitch with my Antivirus software. After doing an update, my antivirus software mentioned that it was blocking e-sword because it was trying to modify one of my "secured files".I clicked the allowed button and  tested a highlighted verse and after reboot, it was still there. So we're back to normal!  :)

Edited by biblephile, 15 November 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#3 Chica

Chica

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

Same thing here, thanks for posting, I'm going to reboot and see if my highlights start working!  --

UPDATE

I rebooted, ran my window's defender, shows nothing quarantined or blocked, but still no highlighting. 

Any Ideas? 

I want to start using e-Sword more in the future but highlighting is important to me and will be very sad if I cannot use!

Edited by Chica, 26 December 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#4 Chica

Chica

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

I found my own answer - 

MY HIGHLIGHTING AND MARKING HAS SHIFTED IN VERSION 11!

Highlighting and marking is stored in character-based positioning. The introductions of the Pericope (section headings) obviously changes those positions. You can certainly turn off the pericope to realign the positions. Select "Options, Display Pericope" from the e-Sword menu to do so. If you decide you want to have the Pericope displayed, then you will have to update the highlighting and marking as needed when you encounter them.

But I have not tried yet, we'll see!  ----STILL NOT WORKING, I'll REBOOT?  

ANSWER PROVIDED BY RICK MEYERS - when I e-mailed him---- Thank you Rick! 

First, select "Reset e-Sword Settings" from the e-Sword "Help" menu.

Afterwards, select "Options, Resource" from the e-Sword menu, then take note of the "User Files Location" path.  This is the directory that contains all of your user files.  Delete the MARKUP.OVLX file and e-Sword will create a new one.  Hopefully this new file will accept your higlights.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

Edited by Chica, 01 January 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#5 denniskean

denniskean

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:50 AM

Solution suggested:  " Delete the MARKUP.OVLX file and e-Sword will create a new one.  Hopefully this new file will accept your higlights."

Yeah and the 2000+ underlines which I have included in my Bible will disappear, which means another 3 months of work to reenter them.  That is not a solution my friends.  The programmers need to fix this problem ASAP!  

Edited by denniskean, 14 February 2021 - 11:56 AM.

#6 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

Give this a try.

Backup your markup file, then do the reset as suggested by Rick. Restart E-Sword and see if you can save an underline and a highlite. If they work copy your saved markup file back into E-Sword.

P.S. you should do backups of the files you do not want to loose eg the Notes files [journal, study,topic] and your markup file so you do not loose everything to an accident.

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:10 PM

Give this a try.

Backup your markup file, then do the reset as suggested by Rick. Restart E-Sword and see if you can save an underline and a highlite. If they work copy your saved markup file back into E-Sword.

P.S. you should do backups of the files you do not want to loose eg the Notes files [journal, study,topic] and your markup file so you do not loose everything to an accident.

Actually what Dave suggested is the best advice ever he could give, and one which I (not merely recommend but) stipulate as an absolute necessity if you don't want to lose any data, irrespective of what it is.

Only clowns and idiots don't backup their data, and wonder why they lost it. No joke.

Here is my perspective and judgement on this issue. If anyone has lost data on their computers, and have never backed it up, they deserve all the ridicule and mocking they get. Seriously!

It is not hard to do backups, and you don't need to use backup software. All it takes to do a backup is simply copy your resources/data from one media to another, e.g., from your hardrive to a USB stick or something similar, and there is you backup.

I've only done 1 major backup, and the rest were incremental by just doing a copy and paste. The major one was the initial backup and that took about 15 minutes, and the rest was whenever I got a new file, or created a new file which only took about a couple of minutes at the most

Another thingy... even Microsoft tells you to back up your data. Amazing isn't it?! If you have OneDrive on your PC or Mobile device, you get told/recommended to back up your data to it (that is OneDrive). So, seriously no one has an excuse for any loss of data when one has all the resources and methods available do to it. And so this takes me back to what I said a moment or 2 ago.

Only clowns and idiots don't backup their data...

So, don't be a clown, and don't be an idiot, and don't end up with egg on your face. Ensure you back up your data and keep it safe.

Despite venting my frustration and etc., trust this information will not merely prove helpful to you, but more so will stir you to action.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 16 February 2021 - 02:15 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

When it comes to highlighting and the Pericope issue, I thought it would be great to bang up the video (I did a couple or so years) again, in the event you need help with that weird problem in e-Sword.

Apparently its an issue that has propensity of rearing up its ugly head from time to time.

Enjoy

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users