Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Combing esword Journal and Topic content between two computers

15 replies to this topic

#1 Dergyb

Dergyb

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

POPULAR

Hi esword friends

This above question may have already been asked?? Although maybe just in a different way than maybe I have asked. Cant find anything under topics search as a result... 

Any way, the situation I have is that I have esword on two computers which both have precious  journal and topics note content on one computer and different precious similar content on the other. Using one computer is best practice I'm certain of this now although this situation has developed over a long period of time and in the shadow of great ignorance...:-)

I want to combine all the information on the two computers without losing anything. Apart from copying and pasting or some other laborious means like this may be someone has found an easier and quicker way to combine all content

Any thoughts or ways others have successfully achieved this?

Would really appreciated any help!

Thanks all

Derek

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:46 AM

There are several ways to merge text files, a quick google of Merge Text Files Windows yields a plethora of methods and programs for merging files.

After that is accomplished, storing your journal and topic notes in the cloud provides a way to allow both machines to access the same file thus keeping the merged file current.  (But obviously only if you have access to the internet when you want to access the notes.)

I'm not saying this is the best way, but it is a workaround that generally works.

I ran across a discussion in an unrelated discussion that might help in converting the journal and topx files for merging.  

http://www.biblesupp...ocx-for-kindle/

Edited by Tim Butterfield, 12 July 2017 - 05:57 AM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 Dergyb

Dergyb

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to use MS One Drive and somehow maybe I missed your point on merging files.

It seems that all of my Journal notes and Topic notes are now gone and cant be accessed. They appear on One Drive although my concern is if I download these now that they will overwrite files that may potentially still exist on my hard drive and therefore lose the original content for good.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed safely and not lose anything potentially for good, if not already, although now cant access any of the information??

I will keep looking on what I can do if you dont have any other advice to salvage.

Thanks 

Derek

#4 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

File merging programs simply allow you to take the data/text (journal as an example) entries from both machines and combine them into a single file (same for the topx) without overwriting them or losing any of the data. 

One of the original uses for file merge programs was combining two mailing (or customer billing) lists so they tend to be very reliable and accurate since companies tend to get irate if you loose names from their contact or billing lists.  

They can merge just about any sort of documents (especially if the documents to be merged are in the same format, to begin with (two journal files as an example).

I am sorry if I misunderstood, but I am almost certain that you said you wanted to combine the journal entries from both machines into one.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#5 Dergyb

Dergyb

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:41 PM

Hi Tim

Late reply. No need for apology brother on your behalf, as I said in my reply, I obviously was the one that misunderstood, you were right on, so no concern of yours. I should have been more clear with understanding before proceeding

I appreciate the help offered.

I have since been able to retrieve 90% of data. Better than nothing at all.

Thanks again and have not proceeded with any other solutions yet although will when I can be absolutely confident I understand how to do this or some other way to duplicate onto two machines. It does not appear to be a big topic on esword though would be great to have a stepped out "How to" for the uninitiated.

Thanks again Tim

Derek

#6 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

The primary reason I have been so tentative about my advice is that I have never done anything like what you have be attempting to do.

I have a very retentive memory, and had read discussions about the how to of merging files, but even so trying to remember the basics of a discussion that interested me only peripherally made me cautious, but since no one else "chimed in" I gave it a go,

Glad it worked out well.

Tim

#7 Dergyb

Dergyb

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Hi Calling on all seasoned Esword users

I still have not been able to securely find a way to do the above after last communications and attempt.

So, I am wondering does anyone out there in esword land have a secure step by step process to transfer all precious Journal notes, topic notes, markups, study notes etc. across to another PC without losing any of the information?

I suppose the other way would be to transfer the existing esword installed on one PC to another PC altogether, that would do the same job?

Ultimately backup is the safest way to secure all and sundry although as the previous history shows did not work and lost part of the data.

Can anyone help, Josh Bond or anyone with experience with this knowledge would be greatly appreciated to solve this problem,

Yours in need

Thanks

Derek  :(

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Sorry for the late reply. It sounds like you simply want to copy all e-Sword content (whether downloaded or created by you).

e-Sword's materials are stored in 2 locations (assuming you have not changed the locations in e-Sword).

• Study notes, bookmarks, journal notes, etc are in here: C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\e-Sword
  • Commentaries, dictionaries, etc are here: c:\program files\e-sword  -or- c:\program files (x86)\e-sword\  depending on whether your version of Windows is 32bit or 64bit.

You would copy those files from the source pc to the destination pc.

#9 Dergyb

Dergyb

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hi Josh

Thanks for your reply and really appreciate your hep on this!

I have carried these files over into the destination pc although they don't appear once I open up esword in the destination pc?

Is there a step I need to do to allow these to show up?

Thanks again Josh

#10 Dergyb

Dergyb

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:40 PM

Hi Josh

One further is that esword does not want to open now for some reason after copying across all items in these files to the same files in the destination pc?

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Derek

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users