Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Tooltip Tool - Updated

utility module tooltip

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

T3's been that way since I started using it. It wanted semicolons when switching to a new chapter. So now we don't need a semicolon?

AH!! Thanks for reminding me, I did not add that fix from T4 into T3. I how have and re-uploaded v3.47. NOTE - Download v3.47 again if you want this fix.

OK - there have been 2 fixes in T3 and T4. The one I think you are speaking about is the "AND" issue. "AND", "and", and "And" were interpreted as "semi-colons". This is the only thing that has been changed with semi-colons. "AND" is now interpreted as a "comma", and only with "Chapter Tooltips" turned on.

John 3:16 and 17 is now interpreted as John 3:16,17. The old tooltip formatter produced the correct result, the new formatter with Chapter Tooltips was producing the wrong result. John 3:16; 17. is not the same as John 3:16, 17. The former implies chapter 3 verse 16, and chapter 17, while the latter implies chapter 3, verses 16 and 17 to the Chapter formatter. Of course, you can still use John 3:16 and 17:3, and this will give the expected results of Joh_3:16; Joh_17:3. So that John 3:16, 17:3 is the same as John 3:16; 17:3. but John 3:16; 17, the semi-colon is implying the whole of chapter 17. This behavior with respect the "AND" has changed with repect to Chapter tooltips.

The other issue was a bit deeper. I give the example of tooltipping this reference: "Deut 7:2-5, 25, 12:2-3, 30, 18:9-13, 30:17-18". This reference would work fine with the old tooltip formatter. With Chapter tooltips turned one, in T4 it would would be marked as invalid, and in T3, it would get underlined, but not colored, and also marked as invalid. But is it invalid? YES! With Chapter tooltips turned off, it was tooltipped just fine. So tracing out the parsing of this reference while tooltipping in the new algorithm, I found I had left out the final step of one line which was taking the reference string apart. That is, one typo error in the source code. The problem was, that the segment, "12:2-3, 30" was interpreting the "30" as being in Chapter "21" and not chapter "12". There is no Deuteronomy 21:30, so it was flagged as invalid. HOWEVER, lets say the 30 was instead 5. The tooltip results would have been all flaged as valid, yet you would have had a reference to Deuteronomy "21:5" instead of the expected result of "Deu_12:5". Nasty, eh? This has been fixed now in both T3 and T4. Note, this problem only manifested itself if there were several compound references combined. If the reference was Deut 12:2-3, 5, this would have tooltipped correctly. Once the second block was added, did the problem surface. However, it would have appied to both string blocks. If the chapter was a single character, then one would have never noticed an issue. Only when there were 2 or more chapter characters. Now you know... :-)

Edited by BH., 29 January 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#52 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

I guess you found that the code for tooltipping is same in T4 as it is in T3? The code that creates the tooltips is the same between the two programs. How the results is applied in T4 is different from T3. The final result is still the same. So yes, : 1 Kings 16; 19; 21 ----> 1Ki_16:1-34; 1Ki_19:1-21; 1Ki_21:1-29, with Chapter Tips checked.

#53 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

I guess you found that the code for tooltipping is same in T4 as it is in T3? The code that creates the tooltips is the same between the two programs. How the results is applied in T4 is different from T3. The final result is still the same. So yes, : 1 Kings 16; 19; 21 ----> 1Ki_16:1-34; 1Ki_19:1-21; 1Ki_21:1-29, with Chapter Tips checked.

Not when the text is hyperlinked, T4 only does a partial tooltip then (maybe T3 too). I didn't realize some verses were hyperlinks (because the text was copied from a web page.) I opened in Word, removed all hyperlinks, then back to T4.

#54 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

Not when the text is hyperlinked, T4 only does a partial tooltip then (maybe T3 too). I didn't realize some verses were hyperlinks (because the text was copied from a web page.) I opened in Word, removed all hyperlinks, then back to T4.

It might be interesting to try the "Trim RTF" tool on your hyperlinked texts.

#55 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

========================================
Version 3.48- 2/1/2012
========================================
-- Fixed - Error in checking CMTX generating function when checking the number of chapters in a book.

#56 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi BH,
I have not ventured into T4 yet, but in T3 whenever I paste in or open a file that has unicode character EM Dash (2014) it is converted to a regular dash. T3 seams to handle other unicode characters fine. Is there a bug with how T3 handles the EM Dash?

#57 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

if this happens when you are pasting in data, then it is a function of the underlying RTF display control, and not necessarily a "feature" of T3.

#58 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

if this happens when you are pasting in data, then it is a function of the underlying RTF display control, and not necessarily a "feature" of T3.

It happens whether I open up the document with T3 or paste in the data.

I also get an "RTF not available in clip board" pop up every time I try to hit the backspace key on my Windows 7 machine. This only happens when I have T3 open.

I may be the only one with this issue, as I have not heard that anyone else has it.

#59 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

I've had the same issue with T3. I now use T4 and that's one of the reasons. It always bugged me.

#60 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I've been using T4 exclusively for all of my work with topics and have no problems at all with it. It works great, but I don't know what other types of files T4 is ready for. I used T3 for two devotional files I did recently, not knowing if T4 would have worked or not. That brings up the question: what types is T4 ready for? Thanks in advance.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, module, tooltip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users