Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Tooltip Tool - Updated

utility module tooltip

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#11 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hi BH,
I am going to try out your new mapx creator sometime this weekend to make the Bridgeway mapx. I made all the images as png format because that is best for MySword so I need to make them all jpg. Thanks for adding this to tool tip and thanks for Peter's fix :).
Peter

#12 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

Too funny. I downloaded (yesterday) v338, this was the version on the download page, it was actually v339 - cool. I see now that v340 is the most recent. My question - what is the best way to update from 339 to 340 - simply run the installer and overwrite the existing files, or should the previous version be uninstalled, then install fresh?

Also, I didn't install to the default location or drive, I installed to a second partition on the same drive, meaning, instead of C:\Program Files, -> E:\e-Sword\e-Sword ToolTip. Yes, I put ToolTip Tool in my e-Sword folder. So neither e-Sword or ToolTip are in the default location. I copied over from \My Documents all the files from both programs and dropped them in their respective locations, seems OK so far...?

I won't delete the 2 folders in \My Documents but is it cool to delete the files since I copied them already...?
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#13 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

Yes, is was a busy week with several updates this week. That is not the usual, but due to work patterns, I had some time to "think" about the program, and also chase issues that some were having.

You can install over the old version and it will work, the down side is that it will leave one old file. Example, upgrading from v3.39 to v3.40 will leave a file "tooltiptool339.w3" which would have been deleted if you uninstalled. Not a big deal.

Documents, as long as you have a copy of your documents, you can delete them, and is sounds like you have copied them from their original location to the new location, so you should be fine. Backup backup backup....

#14 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I made myself a note - one followup ...?

You can install over the old version and it will work, the down side is that it will leave one old file. Example, upgrading from v3.39 to v3.40 will leave a file "tooltiptool339.w3" which would have been deleted if you uninstalled. Not a big deal.

Would it be OK to simply delete tooltiptool339.w3 before or after installing v340, I assume there's a tooltiptool340.w3?

Btw, thank you for your work (you're the dev...?) on T3, great tool from what I've seen so far :)

Oh, one more Q..., other than the \My Documents files, and of course the files in the main directory of the application, are there other folders///files hidden or otherwise located somewhere else?

OT: What programming language do you use - just curious?
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#15 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

You can delete tooltiptool339.w3 or leave it. You can scroll back to 339 by deleting the tooltiptool340.w3 file. Yeah - the actual code is in the "w3" file.

T3 uses one more directory for data, and configuration files: On Windows 7, it is: C:\ProgramData\Tools4eSword

T3 does not write to the Windows registry. In fact, it would be quite simple to make T3 a portable app.

What programming language is T3 written in? APL. Specifically, APL+win. http://www.apl2000.com/whatisapl.php

#16 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

In fact, it would be quite simple to make T3 a portable app.

Speaking of portability, I'm not sure if the executable can find ToolTipTool.ini in any other location than \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tools4eSword...? I suppose if it's hard coded the answer is no.

If yes, I had a look at the *.ini and was wondering if it was possible to relocate it (and SQLite3.exe) to the program's root folder (for me) - E:\e-Sword\e-Sword ToolTip - and simply edit the [paths] info, Topics=, BatchPath=, etc to E:\e-Sword\e-Sword ToolTip...?

Also, and finally :), is there any info that can be added to [Config] to make the vertical and horizontal size larger than the default, I find myself making the window larger every time I run the program, it's simply too small - setting the size how I like it and having the settings stick would be great. Regardless, excellent tool for sure.

I'm trying to get e-Sword and T3 setup exactly how I like, and taking notes so I wont have to bother you again when I do this down the road or set things up for someone else. No rush, if///when you get time to elaborate.

In Christ,

Mike

#17 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

1) the path to tooltiptool.ini is hard coded. This is because of Windows Vista/7's User Access Control. It can not reside in the "c:\program files" folder.

2) the [paths] data in the INI is dynamic in that it is the location where you last saved a file.

3) the initial size of the window that T3 generates is not stored in the ini.

#18 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Thanks BH for taking the time. Sorry for pestering you with unnecessary questions. I suppose it's best to use the tool as designed or not at all :)

In Christ,

Mike

#19 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Mike_S, here is a first try at making e-Sword ToolTip Tool, portable version.

The following link is to T3 v3.40 portable. http://goo.gl/MX2wf (beta?)

This is a modification of v3.40 so as to run as a portable app. The ToolTipTool.ini file will be in the same folder as the executable. You can install it on a USB thumb drive if you wish.

Download the above zip file, and unzip the files into its own folder. I have stripped the program down to the minimum number of files needed to make T3 run. The program "assumes" it is running portable if it is not installed in the "Program Files" folder.

#20 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Mike_S, here is a first try at making e-Sword ToolTip Tool, portable version.

Please don't do this because I had asked about a portable version, don't create more work for yourself on my account. I'm still trying to figure out the differences between the file types and how exactly they differ in e-Sword (functionally), not to mention my confusion with T3's extensive menu items and how they markup a document.

Personally, I would rather see better documentation relating to building the various file types for e-Sword, with more explicit examples, whether it be with T3 or some other tool. :)

The ToolTipTool.ini file will be in the same folder as the executable.

There is no ini created in the test folder when T3 is run for the first time. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a portable ini included in the zip, I didn't see one.

T3 still looks for the ini file in \Tools4eSword, ignores the ini when located with the executable. I have copied the ini to my test folder - C:\ToolTipTool, edited the [Paths], and deleted the hidden folder, regardless, the executable when run recreates the hidden folder including the ini and sq3.exe.

So, deleting \Tools4eSword, and putting the ini in C:\ToolTipTool doesn't change anything, the executable wants these folders;
- 1 hidden, \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tools4eSword
- 1 visible, \Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\e-Sword ToolTip

The \e-Sword ToolTip folder appears to be less important but included information in the ini.

I tested on 2 systems, XP x86. My main system which already had e-Sword and T3 located in non default locations - E:\e-Sword\e-Sword ToolTip. The second system was a VM, no e-Sword installed, simply extracted the zip file to C:\ToolTipTool. The application functioned the same on both.

FYI: The included English.txt file for both the installer and portable packages references your system, not that it matters just thought you might want to know.
Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, module, tooltip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users